U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-25-2015, 09:13 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,547,981 times
Reputation: 4045

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helena101 View Post
Background extras in other cities make almost $20 per hour?! That sounds ridiculous, and you have to assume they're bombarded with a million applications and you need connections (friends and family in the industry) to get those jobs. It's a job that requires very little skill and big rewards (get to be in a movie or TV show). I know plenty of people (myself included) who would do it for free for a day or two just for the experience and to be able to say they were in a movie/TV show.
$20 per hour would be nearly $40,000 per year...I find it a bit hard to believe that extras actually make that much money. Maybe in California where the cost of living is much higher, but there is no need to pay extras as much as first year teachers in Georgia.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2015, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Sweet Home Chicago!
4,702 posts, read 3,230,405 times
Reputation: 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
"Georgia background extras get paid on average 11.00 less per hour than other major cities. So, should Atlanta background extras go on strike?
No! they should get some real skills and a real career if they want to make real money.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2015, 11:00 AM
 
Location: 98004 / 30327
555 posts, read 453,218 times
Reputation: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
No! they should get some real skills and a real career if they want to make real money.
Exactly. No one should be a professional background extra.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek, GA
1,957 posts, read 1,999,961 times
Reputation: 2212
There is a lot of hate on this thread. If you don't think that fly-by-night productions like TV/film productions won't abuse extras to save a dollar or avoid hassles then you are deluding yourself.

You're talking about an industry with a rich history of noncompetitive practices, black-balling employees, creative accounting and ridiculous profit margins.

Somehow the presence of unions haven't prevented Hollywood from becoming the #2 city in the world for the TV & film industry.

I'm not sure why you think these companies that spend billions of dollars a year need protection from a few thousand people barely making minimum wage.... but feel free to explain it to me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 10:52 AM
 
251 posts, read 167,767 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
There is a lot of hate on this thread. If you don't think that fly-by-night productions like TV/film productions won't abuse extras to save a dollar or avoid hassles then you are deluding yourself.

You're talking about an industry with a rich history of noncompetitive practices, black-balling employees, creative accounting and ridiculous profit margins.

Somehow the presence of unions haven't prevented Hollywood from becoming the #2 city in the world for the TV & film industry.

I'm not sure why you think these companies that spend billions of dollars a year need protection from a few thousand people barely making minimum wage.... but feel free to explain it to me.
If you take a job standing around on a movie set and you are "abused" at the job, you should leave the job and consider filing a lawsuit against the person or company who abused you.

You do realize it sounds silly to say that a job that requires no skills and that a lot of people would do for free to get a chance to hang out on a movie set should have to pay $20/hr, right? And that a rule like that would simply mean no one gets those jobs unless they have connections in the industry?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 10:58 AM
 
1,979 posts, read 1,701,984 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
I've worked as a extra about 6x's in New York ....twice i got a union waver where i got paid like a union back talent..i did a stand in for a major role on the show "Elementary" i got the reward of Eating first, and getting snacks like the people in the union...so i pretty much made $19 x 8hrs = $153 before taxes and i forgot how much overtime was...these past two weeks i worked on "The Slap " and "Elementary" as non-union and the rate was i think $9 and some change and overtime is $13.13
But im a little confused do they mean paid $11.00 less then union back talent or non-union. ?

IIRC you don't have to be SAG to work as an extra no? And some calls specifically state it is for non-SAG people. I suspect they make $11 less than union - because if non-union, that would mean -2.00 an hour at your non-union base-rate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Sodo Sopa at The Villas above Kenny' s House.
2,492 posts, read 2,215,903 times
Reputation: 3859
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruthserum View Post
I find this this funniest read ever... because I've worked both in NYC and down south. There is a big difference between being union and non-union. Healthcare- yes there is healthcare plans for union members. Pension- yes there is a pension for union members. Accountability- if you get hurt or if you get upgraded on set (director talking or giving words to you) they will fight for you to make things right. Ummmm let's see union members get paid for the clothing they bring; they get paid for fittings; they get paid to drive to sets sometimes; they get bumps for working in wet conditions or around smoke. I get it to some people it is not fair that actors get paid, but for me it is 100% my career and how I pay my bills which last I checked didn't matter as long as I pay my bills. The problem with the world of modeling/acting is you have those people that will say "I'll do it for free, so I can say I was on set or the experience," but as noted earlier this is a job that requires zero skills (not always true). I think that people in the south really need to stand together and get a background agreement done, which has nothing to do with the fact that some states are right to work. You'd be surprised at what a difference having a contract would make; and on top of that your not special for productions, your just saving them money on background actors. Oh an most recently, I was scheduled for work and changed my schedule so I could show up to set, well they canceled last minute and as a union member I still get paid....just another perk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
I've worked as a extra about 6x's in New York ....twice i got a union waver where i got paid like a union back talent..i did a stand in for a major role on the show "Elementary" i got the reward of Eating first, and getting snacks like the people in the union...so i pretty much made $19 x 8hrs = $153 before taxes and i forgot how much overtime was...these past two weeks i worked on "The Slap " and "Elementary" as non-union and the rate was i think $9 and some change and overtime is $13.13
But im a little confused do they mean paid $11.00 less then union back talent or non-union. ?
2 excellent shows. Any dvr moments we can catch you in?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek, GA
1,957 posts, read 1,999,961 times
Reputation: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by helena101 View Post
If you take a job standing around on a movie set and you are "abused" at the job, you should leave the job and consider filing a lawsuit against the person or company who abused you.
1. Not all abuse is against the law
2. How exactly is a person earning minimum wage supposed to afford a lawyer+fees and the time away from work to appear in court? You've clearly never filed a civil suit against someone.

Quote:
You do realize it sounds silly to say that a job that requires no skills and that a lot of people would do for free to get a chance to hang out on a movie set should have to pay $20/hr, right?
No, its not silly. Whether unskilled or not, laborers (extras in this case) provide a product valuable enough for the production company to pay for. There are plenty of productions where extras do not receive any compensation at all (massive crowds, many reality style productions with the public in the background).

Extras are hired to camouflage the fact that a given scene is being filmed on a closed/controlled set. The fact that it is easy to find extras is not carte blanche to exploit them. Mindsets like yours are the entire reason that labor in this country had to become organized (and also the entire reason there is a SAG, DGA, Writer's guild, etc).

Quote:
And that a rule like that would simply mean no one gets those jobs unless they have connections in the industry?
What planet do you live on? That is basically how it works today. You must not know very many people who work in the industry.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 01:20 PM
 
2,159 posts, read 1,046,568 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
1. Not all abuse is against the law
2. How exactly is a person earning minimum wage supposed to afford a lawyer+fees and the time away from work to appear in court? You've clearly never filed a civil suit against someone.


No, its not silly. Whether unskilled or not, laborers (extras in this case) provide a product valuable enough for the production company to pay for. There are plenty of productions where extras do not receive any compensation at all (massive crowds, many reality style productions with the public in the background).

Extras are hired to camouflage the fact that a given scene is being filmed on a closed/controlled set. The fact that it is easy to find extras is not carte blanche to exploit them. Mindsets like yours are the entire reason that labor in this country had to become organized (and also the entire reason there is a SAG, DGA, Writer's guild, etc).


What planet do you live on? That is basically how it works today. You must not know very many people who work in the industry.

Thank you for putting yourself in someone else's shoes. I wish people did that more nowadays. #2 is something most people never think to consider.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 09:29 AM
 
251 posts, read 167,767 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
1. Not all abuse is against the law
2. How exactly is a person earning minimum wage supposed to afford a lawyer+fees and the time away from work to appear in court? You've clearly never filed a civil suit against someone.


No, its not silly. Whether unskilled or not, laborers (extras in this case) provide a product valuable enough for the production company to pay for. There are plenty of productions where extras do not receive any compensation at all (massive crowds, many reality style productions with the public in the background).

Extras are hired to camouflage the fact that a given scene is being filmed on a closed/controlled set. The fact that it is easy to find extras is not carte blanche to exploit them. Mindsets like yours are the entire reason that labor in this country had to become organized (and also the entire reason there is a SAG, DGA, Writer's guild, etc).


What planet do you live on? That is basically how it works today. You must not know very many people who work in the industry.
Um actually I have worked in the legal field for years. Lawyers take cases *all the time* on contingency. I've worked on numerous such cases and had friends/family members involved in such cases. What planet do *you* live on? Since you don't seem familiar with this, here's how it works: You get hit by a truck or you get sexually harassed at your job. Since you don't have the money to pay hourly legal fees or don't want to put up money when you don't know how much you'd win in a lawsuit, the lawyer takes your case for free in exchange for a percentage of what you win in a lawsuit. If you have a legitimate case you'll find a lawyer.

If they're paying extras slave wages, how are they finding people to fill these roles? Why are people applying to these jobs if they're being "abused" and being paid nothing?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top