U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 10:36 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,559,578 times

Advertisements

"Georgia background extras get paid on average 11.00 less per hour than other major cities. So, should Atlanta background extras go on strike?

According to sources, when a background extra joins the Screen Actors Guild (SAG-AFTRA) they are blacklisted in the industry. and they will no longer get hired unless they agree to working for less than union pay.

But, it gets worse. Recently, Lifetime Network’s Devious Maids decreased their pay for background extras from $8/hour to minimum wage. Which may mark the start of a new trend in the Peach State where more and more producers hire extras at minimum wage instead of hiring union actors..."

Full Story: Should Atlanta Background Extras Go On Strike?

Last edited by LynnHarris; 03-04-2015 at 10:48 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 12:31 PM

251 posts, read 167,600 times
Background extras in other cities make almost $20 per hour?! That sounds ridiculous, and you have to assume they're bombarded with a million applications and you need connections (friends and family in the industry) to get those jobs. It's a job that requires very little skill and big rewards (get to be in a movie or TV show). I know plenty of people (myself included) who would do it for free for a day or two just for the experience and to be able to say they were in a movie/TV show.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:50 PM

1,241 posts, read 983,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helena101 View Post
Background extras in other cities make almost $20 per hour?! That sounds ridiculous, and you have to assume they're bombarded with a million applications and you need connections (friends and family in the industry) to get those jobs. It's a job that requires very little skill and big rewards (get to be in a movie or TV show). I know plenty of people (myself included) who would do it for free for a day or two just for the experience and to be able to say they were in a movie/TV show.
EXACTLY!

That article was written with an inherent bias. It is written with the automatic implication that "extras" are somehow "wronged" when they aren't paid "union" wages. There's NO discussion on whether or not "union" wages are justified nor is there any condemnation of union agitation to get them. Just basically the extras are being wronged and the unions are automatically justified in agitating. No other viewpoint is present other than the extras are somehow "owed" possibly inflated wages that don't reflect the abilities of the job or the skills required to do them. Just automatic built-in bias. That's how the media has power to sway people. It's Orwellian.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:11 PM

985 posts, read 1,430,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
EXACTLY!

That article was written with an inherent bias. It is written with the automatic implication that "extras" are somehow "wronged" when they aren't paid "union" wages. There's NO discussion on whether or not "union" wages are justified nor is there any condemnation of union agitation to get them. Just basically the extras are being wronged and the unions are automatically justified in agitating. No other viewpoint is present other than the extras are somehow "owed" possibly inflated wages that don't reflect the abilities of the job or the skills required to do them. Just automatic built-in bias. That's how the media has power to sway people. It's Orwellian.
The irony of your post and George Orwell. I some how think he would not take your position.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:16 PM

21 posts, read 18,139 times
Oh no! Movie extras, who need no skills and typically work part time, make minimum wage? The humanity!

Thankfully in Atlanta we don't have to provide a "cut" to unions when any worker wants to so much as lift a finger. Corrupt politicians - yeah we've got plenty - but it could be worse.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:05 PM

251 posts, read 167,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRosewater View Post
Oh no! Movie extras, who need no skills and typically work part time, make minimum wage? The humanity!

Thankfully in Atlanta we don't have to provide a "cut" to unions when any worker wants to so much as lift a finger. Corrupt politicians - yeah we've got plenty - but it could be worse.
Right. No one is making a long term career of being a movie extra. If you force them to pay people $18.50/hour to stand around on set for a couple days, they'll just eliminate as many extras as they can and hire people with connections for the remaining roles. It's silly.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 PM

333 posts, read 227,697 times
I've worked as a extra about 6x's in New York ....twice i got a union waver where i got paid like a union back talent..i did a stand in for a major role on the show "Elementary" i got the reward of Eating first, and getting snacks like the people in the union...so i pretty much made $19 x 8hrs = $153 before taxes and i forgot how much overtime was...these past two weeks i worked on "The Slap " and "Elementary" as non-union and the rate was i think $9 and some change and overtime is $13.13
But im a little confused do they mean paid $11.00 less then union back talent or non-union. ?

Old 03-04-2015, 11:00 PM

346 posts, read 273,403 times
There are a lot of comments from workers in a number of cities under the Project Casting Facebook post about this. Most seem to agree that the article is misleading.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:57 AM

559 posts, read 636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRosewater View Post

Seriously. People are now pulling the victim card on "movie extra" wages??

We have become a society of whiny, spoiled brats who think they are entitled to this job, this salary, this life. If you don't like what you're making, do something different to make more.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
I find this this funniest read ever... because I've worked both in NYC and down south. There is a big difference between being union and non-union. Healthcare- yes there is healthcare plans for union members. Pension- yes there is a pension for union members. Accountability- if you get hurt or if you get upgraded on set (director talking or giving words to you) they will fight for you to make things right. Ummmm let's see union members get paid for the clothing they bring; they get paid for fittings; they get paid to drive to sets sometimes; they get bumps for working in wet conditions or around smoke. I get it to some people it is not fair that actors get paid, but for me it is 100% my career and how I pay my bills which last I checked didn't matter as long as I pay my bills. The problem with the world of modeling/acting is you have those people that will say "I'll do it for free, so I can say I was on set or the experience," but as noted earlier this is a job that requires zero skills (not always true). I think that people in the south really need to stand together and get a background agreement done, which has nothing to do with the fact that some states are right to work. You'd be surprised at what a difference having a contract would make; and on top of that your not special for productions, your just saving them money on background actors. Oh an most recently, I was scheduled for work and changed my schedule so I could show up to set, well they canceled last minute and as a union member I still get paid....just another perk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or