U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:58 PM

9,552 posts, read 8,612,923 times

Advertisements

Oh, my. I think I will just stick with Mr. Bubbles in the privacy of my own bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 02:05 PM

49 posts, read 53,352 times
I'm not very modest. I rather be naked then wear those ugly outfits millions of others have sweat in. Don't the outfits consist of shorts and a shirt? How can one be too tall to fit into shorts and a shirt? I guess its a good thing I'm short.

Last edited by Vanessamichaels; 03-05-2015 at 02:25 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 02:51 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
"You wear tights?"
"I wear the required uniform."
"Tights."

Yes, at Jeju, you do have to wear the required gym suit. I was taken there by a friend and can provide the following insights on the joint:

The uniform, while not flattering, is fine. Everyone else is wearing it, so what the heck? Nobody cares. All of the saunas are slightly different, but unless you're some kind of sauna snob, you'll be hard-pressed to determine the difference between the jade, charcoal, gold, etc. saunas. They're pretty much just saunas that look a little different on the inside. My favorite sauna by far was the cold sauna. It's just a white room with a gigantic air conditioner in it set as low as it will go. It's awesome!

I also liked the heated floors in the common areas, they feel good on your feet.

The wet areas are where you run around in your birthday suit. It's surprisingly no big deal as everyone else is doing it. It's like being naked at the doctor, and after 30 seconds you don't even notice it anymore. However, two things brought it close to home for me:

1) Some guy in the cold bath started making small talk with me. I figured maybe the guy was just bored or lonely or whatever, but I did later discover that there are certain people that use this place for gay hook-ups. I didn't see it, and I know the staff forbids it, but apparently it happens in the steam room and sleeping room. I have no idea if this is what the guy talking to me wanted, but violating the general "if you're naked and another guy is naked, just don't talk at all" rule is awkward no matter what.

2) Nudity in the Korean culture also involves children. Maybe it's western sensibilities and silly, but in my mind, comfort with nudity ends the second it involves children. I don't want to be naked in front of your kid. If the kid is also naked, that's even worse. People bring their kids to this place, and they are allowed in the wet areas. I'm not going to judge other cultures, but I find it completely unacceptable for myself and this is the biggest reason why I don't return to Jeju.

That was my experience!

Old 03-05-2015, 03:01 PM

9,552 posts, read 8,612,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
"You wear tights?"
"I wear the required uniform."
"Tights."

Yes, at Jeju, you do have to wear the required gym suit. I was taken there by a friend and can provide the following insights on the joint:

The uniform, while not flattering, is fine. Everyone else is wearing it, so what the heck? Nobody cares. All of the saunas are slightly different, but unless you're some kind of sauna snob, you'll be hard-pressed to determine the difference between the jade, charcoal, gold, etc. saunas. They're pretty much just saunas that look a little different on the inside. My favorite sauna by far was the cold sauna. It's just a white room with a gigantic air conditioner in it set as low as it will go. It's awesome!

I also liked the heated floors in the common areas, they feel good on your feet.

The wet areas are where you run around in your birthday suit. It's surprisingly no big deal as everyone else is doing it. It's like being naked at the doctor, and after 30 seconds you don't even notice it anymore. However, two things brought it close to home for me:

1) Some guy in the cold bath started making small talk with me. I figured maybe the guy was just bored or lonely or whatever, but I did later discover that there are certain people that use this place for gay hook-ups. I didn't see it, and I know the staff forbids it, but apparently it happens in the steam room and sleeping room. I have no idea if this is what the guy talking to me wanted, but violating the general "if you're naked and another guy is naked, just don't talk at all" rule is awkward no matter what.

2) Nudity in the Korean culture also involves children. Maybe it's western sensibilities and silly, but in my mind, comfort with nudity ends the second it involves children. I don't want to be naked in front of your kid. If the kid is also naked, that's even worse. People bring their kids to this place, and they are allowed in the wet areas. I'm not going to judge other cultures, but I find it completely unacceptable for myself and this is the biggest reason why I don't return to Jeju.

That was my experience!
I hope your friend and not you paid for your experience!

Old 03-05-2015, 03:05 PM

1,309 posts, read 695,432 times
ATLTJL... I had the same reservations about children being allowed in the nude wet areas.. one of the main reasons I did not partake in that part. I can just kind of see this kind of atmosphere attracting perverted pedophiles. Again it may be just a cultural difference, but I just found it to be very uncomfortable. I also noticed some "dirty old men" looking types just kind of hanging out in the changing room naked.. where there were children who were also naked. I was mainly interested in the wet areas.. the jacuzzi pools and steam saunas.. but I am not comfortable with public nudity.. just prefer to wear a bathing suit.. and I also just not find it relaxing with a bunch of guys walking around with their junk hanging out and then flopping right next to me. I am not sure what the issue is with bathing trunks.. seems it would be more sanitary to me. But to each their own. My gym has a fantastic sauna and jacuzzi pool.. no children are allowed in it and you wear a towel or bathing suit.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:55 PM

49 posts, read 53,352 times
Why are you trying to defer people from going there?

You feel uncomfortable in the locker room because you don't want a skeezy guy to try to pick you up? Now you know what it feels like to be a girl at a bar.

If its filled with creeepy pervert people like you make it seem to be then why would people be comfortable enough to bring their kids?

I like that people are comfortable enough to bring them because it lets me know that its a safe place. But I also feel its rude. Most hotels don't let kids under 18 in the hot tub because they annoy the adults. I don't understand how different clothing is considered distracting and unrelaxing but a bored kid trying to swim in the hot tub isn't.

Also the whirlpools are salt water and I get scared of the possibility of kids peeing when its chlorinated so this is worse.

Hopefully there won't be any. But its nice to know its safe enough to bring them.

I grew up with traditional saunas and they bore me. I rather be in one filled with amethysts.
I'm also looking forward to the services they offer.

Not looking forward to the attire.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:19 PM

Like I said, it is a cultural thing and to each their own. And yes if you are looking for those new agey crystalline saunas then this may be your place because that is really the only main difference (other than the pajamas and public nudity with kids). I understand that public nudity with children present is not a big deal in Korea, and I got the feeling this place was really geared towards more of a Korean clientele. So for people like myself who are uncomfortable with this type of atmosphere there are other places to go. My main issue was that I just would have liked to have known before paying the fee that you had to be completely nude to enter the jacuzzi and steam areas and that children would be allowed in those areas. If I had known this beforehand I would not have went in and there was nothing on the website or in the reception area warning patrons of this.. so just giving folks a heads up. But hey, if you are exhibitionist, this is your place.. but just seems kind of creepy with little kids present and I think it may attract an undesirable element who may just be going there to see children naked. I also agree that allowing children in the jacuzzis and hot tubs can be unsanitary because of them having a tendency to relieve themselves in the water. But like I said I think this is more intended for a Korean clientele so I wont bother going and imposing my Western customs on them. Maybe someone should start a a new agey sauna that doesn't allow kids and allows you to wear your own bathing suit?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:20 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,671,676 times
Don't go on weekends/day time if you don't want to see kids. It's not that different from the YMCA.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:44 PM

I was there on a Friday evening and it was crawling with youngins... it was like being at at Birthday party at Chuck E Cheese. Not my idea of relaxation. How about allow children only on certain days? I am a member of The Family Y here and we have fantastic facilities but children are never allowed in the jacuzzi and sauna areas. I really do not understand what children are supposed to get out of a place like this anyway.. all of the services are geared towards adults. What child is going to get a body scrub or a foot or body massage and facial treatments? (all of which are extra btw). And it just does not seem appropriate or sanitary for children to be in saunas and jacuzzis. This is not like a Family Y with swimming classes and and youth sports programs so I just do not understand why they are allowed. When I think of a spa I think of a serene relaxing environment.. but having 5 year olds running about screaming shatters that. Again why not have certain days specified for kids? Or better yet just have a kids area.. kind of a day care like they do at Ikea while the adults relax? But like I said I think this is a cultural difference because I dont think the Korean patrons mind the young kids so I think this place is more geared towards them. Just know what you are getting into before you pay the fee.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:32 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,671,676 times
Vanessa, what if you wear something underneath their clothes? It would probably seem very disrespectful that you would be the only one dressed as you are if you did try and wear something different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or