U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 01:52 PM

32 posts, read 29,853 times

Advertisements

1. Budget - 300-350K
2. House/Condo/Townhome - House (with big yard - prefer an acre or two)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Work from home
4. Children(public school vs. private) - Either/or (would prefer strong public)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - Mix...I'm a foodie but I have kids
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood - We are Caucasian and Christian but like diversity - no cookie-cutter molds please! We'd like our space (as mentioned)

I'm from Nashville, my wife is from AL (45 minutes from Newnan), my uncle lives in Lake Claire, we have friends in Sugar Hill, Midtown, and Loganville. We could make case for anywhere but SE of Atlanta.

We have two small children (not school-age yet) and want a little space. Access to ATL would be great but we also want to have access to the outdoors - Hiking, biking, boating, fishing, sports for the kids (and maybe a softball league for me)

We've been looking at Newnan/Sharpsburg/Tyrone/Fayetteville and Cumming/Sugar Hill/Buford/Lawrenceville...Does that sound about right for where you'd find what we're looking for?

Anywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 02:56 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Oconee County is on the Alanta side of Athens (UGA), GA. It has great schools in a very stable school system, an abundance of nice homes with large lots in your price range. It has easy access to 316 and 78, and is about an hour from the city. May not be as diverse as you like. Because you are near the University, you have access to a variety of nice restaurants and culture on the cheap. Also, if you hit the restaurants early, it's rarely a problem to bring the kids. There are tons of family-friendly festivals and concerts in the area, and unlike Atlanta you never fight traffic to get to them (except, maybe on football game days). There is plenty of hiking and the State Botanical Gardens nearby. If you want more diversity, and feel okay with lower ranked schools Clarke County, where the University of Georgia resides would also be an option.
(Now, you have got me wondering why we left!)

Old 03-05-2015, 03:02 PM

9,968 posts, read 6,973,151 times
If a acre plus yard is not set in stone you want some good in town neighborhoods check out neighborhood in the city limits on the east side.

But if you really need that much land then you will have to do the suburbs. And more of the people live on the north side of the metro, so you can find better deals and more land on the south side. Peachtree City is a good starting point.

Edit: jeoff's suggestion of Athens area is not a bad idea if you don't actually need Atlanta more than occasional day trips. I love Athens.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:44 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,555,234 times
Cumming/Buford/Oakwood area

Old 03-05-2015, 03:56 PM

9,016 posts, read 16,253,225 times
Northern Forsyth, Northern Gwinnett, Northern Cherokee will give you the size home, "Space", and good schools.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,053 times
Default Where to z

We've been looking at Newnan/Sharpsburg/Tyrone/Fayetteville and Cumming/Sugar Hill/Buford/Lawrenceville...Does that sound about right for where you'd find what we're looking for?

Newnan--has had a huge change in last 10 yrs. travel from one side of town to the other is miserable and about a stoplight every 1000 ft. Former teacher for Coweta County. Don't send your kids to public schools there. Hicksville.

Sharpsburg has some nice areas with housing in your price range, but you are still stuck with Coweta Co schools.

Just to give you some info about schools: georgia is 48th in the nation. Nevada and New Mexico are 49 & 50. Better to buy less house and use you bux for private schools.

Tyrone--a tiny spot on the map. Nothing really there.

Depending on work location, you will want to scope out what is a reasonable drive.

Cumming: meh

Sugar Hill:just became incorperated. Growing pains around fire/police etc. in 5 yrs it will be great.

Buford: looooonnnngggg drive to anywhere. Some COE land for recreation.

Lawrenceville is in Gwinette Co and it is presently one of the most flush counties for schools that are staffed and have the materiale for good science classes, etc.

Fayetteville is probably more in line with your set of parameters. Not far from decent medical care. Schools are pretty good. You can buy more house in Fayetteville than Peachtree City, but if I had to pick, I would love the convenience of Peachtree City. Lots of airline employees in Ptree City. Golfcart all over. This would be my recommendation.

For what it is worth.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:50 PM

1,806 posts, read 2,119,013 times
For your fishing and boating, near Lake Lanier would work.
Hike nearby in the North GA mountains.
For your budget you can get a nice piece of land.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:44 PM

12,979 posts, read 21,105,215 times
Metro Atlanta has many excellent and strong public school options.

Based on all of your criteria, I recommend:

1. Coweta County
2. Fayette County
3. Southern Douglas County (the Alexander High School Cluster)

Old 03-08-2015, 08:33 PM

42 posts, read 38,108 times
So if you can work anywhere and don't need/want to be in the city and already live in a location with comparable geography/weather/culture, what exactly is the cause of the move?

Old 03-10-2015, 02:58 PM

32 posts, read 29,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davos Seaworth View Post
So if you can work anywhere and don't need/want to be in the city and already live in a location with comparable geography/weather/culture, what exactly is the cause of the move?
I'm originally from Nashville...want to get closer to family. An 8-9 hour drive is not appealing every 2-3 months. The public schools aren't great here in Savannah. It's "buggy and muggy" as I always tell people...we miss the seasons. I feel like there are a lot of "locals" here that aren't overly welcoming...and it only makes it harder when you have kids. It just feels like time for a move, but the next move will be a little more permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or