U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 08:08 AM
bu2

8,975 posts, read 5,670,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the I-20 east line would probably see the greatest rider increase, followed by 400 and the clifton corridor. the I-20 line is also closer to being finalized. i would say the I-20 corridor is probably the next step they will take.

personally, i think the clifton corridor plan as presented sucks. it includes large stretches of shared right-of-way on extremely busy streets. if you think the streetcar is slow, you haven't seen anything yet. it will be impossible to keep any sort of reasonable schedule in the current plan, and would be useless for employees in the area who need to get to work on time that don't currently use the bus.
Its the worst of both worlds. It has stretches on busy streets and very expensive tunnels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 08:15 AM

4,994 posts, read 3,479,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its the worst of both worlds. It has stretches on busy streets and very expensive tunnels.
Yeah, that section on Clifton Road needs to be shifted to the existing rail corridor.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:35 AM

446 posts, read 505,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
1. Cobb Co Line
2. Gwinnett Co Line
3. CC
4. 400
5. 20
lol Cobb county line

Old 03-06-2015, 08:38 AM

446 posts, read 505,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I am adamantly against any sort of shared right-of-way. If that is in the Clifton Corridor plan, just scrap it. Not worth it. I favor HRT, but I would take LRT with its own right-of-way over anything shared. Pretty sure the area is too short to gain much good speed for HRT anyway, so LRT may just be the most feasible.

Anyway, back to topic. In order of most importance (though they're all very important and should've been done 15 years ago)
1. 400
2. Clifton (with its own ROW)
3. 20

If Cobb and Gwinnett were added, they'd be 2 & 3 bumping Clifton and 20 down. The demand justifies it.

I think Gwinnett would be added before Cobb unless its just going to Cumberland/Vinings area

Old 03-06-2015, 12:02 PM

4,347 posts, read 6,934,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
I think Gwinnett would be added before Cobb unless its just going to Cumberland/Vinings area
Where else would it go as it ventures from Midtown towards Cobb? You run smack dab in to Cumberland/Vinings.

At least along the route that has been on the table for years..

Old 03-06-2015, 02:27 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,226,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I am adamantly against any sort of shared right-of-way. If that is in the Clifton Corridor plan, just scrap it. Not worth it.
I had to take DART in Dallas last week from the airport and I saw firsthand how terrible light rail is. It was painfully slow and once we got into downtown it basically turned into a streetcar. We had to wait at lights like we were a car at any other red light. Even away from the city we had to go slow in a lot of places. Like 25 mph slow at times. Then there's also the negative effect on local roads that have to stop traffic. Really appreciate MARTA after that!

One thing is is nice about DART is that counties don't have to approve expansion. Just cities. So if Plano wants a rail line (they actually have it now) but Allen and McKinney are against it (with the rest of Collin County), Plano can still approve it and pay for it while the other cities won't get service. Imagine if Cumberland could do the same. Screw the rest of Cobb, Cumberland could approve it, pay for it and get service. But it reflects a difference between Texas and GA as far as how cities and counties are treated.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:48 PM

9,915 posts, read 6,901,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
One thing is is nice about DART is that counties don't have to approve expansion. Just cities. So if Plano wants a rail line (they actually have it now) but Allen and McKinney are against it (with the rest of Collin County), Plano can still approve it and pay for it while the other cities won't get service. Imagine if Cumberland could do the same. Screw the rest of Cobb, Cumberland could approve it, pay for it and get service. But it reflects a difference between Texas and GA as far as how cities and counties are treated.
I think they can. For example, the city of Atlanta voted to approve MARTA's charter independent of Fulton and DeKalb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I had to take DART in Dallas last week from the airport and I saw firsthand how terrible light rail is. It was painfully slow and once we got into downtown it basically turned into a streetcar. We had to wait at lights like we were a car at any other red light. Even away from the city we had to go slow in a lot of places. Like 25 mph slow at times. Then there's also the negative effect on local roads that have to stop traffic. Really appreciate MARTA after that!
Yeah, I don't think people appreciate what an asset MARTA heavy rail is for Atlanta. I was just in Seattle, which turned down (failed to approve match of) federal funds for transit that ended up being the funds that came to MARTA, and for being a metro the same size as Atlanta and having a more densely populated downtown the transit is disappointing. (But they are rapidly starting to build out more transit).

Old 03-06-2015, 03:17 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,654,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollen View Post
Clifton by far. Makes a ton of sense to provide better transit connections to the largest job center in the region (Emory/CDC/VA) that doesn't already have rail transit.
I know they have a lot, but doesn't Alpharetta have more jobs? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd have to see some numbers.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:23 PM

27,763 posts, read 24,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yeah, I don't think people appreciate what an asset MARTA heavy rail is for Atlanta. I was just in Seattle, which turned down (failed to approve match of) federal funds for transit that ended up being the funds that came to MARTA, and for being a metro the same size as Atlanta and having a more densely populated downtown the transit is disappointing. (But they are rapidly starting to build out more transit).
Uhhh, Seattle's metro has about 2 million less people than Atlanta's.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:28 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,226,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I think they can. For example, the city of Atlanta voted to approve MARTA's charter independent of Fulton and DeKalb.

That'd be nice if possible. But still rather useless considering the huge amount of unincorporated land in the metro area which I assume would require countywide approval. Not really sure.

You can go from the airport here to downtown in what, 20 minutes? Took half an hour more in DFW. Granted, the distance is about double but still. Huge advantage in Atlanta. For DART you have to walk outside from Terminal A and hope that a train is waiting so you can wait on board. Otherwise you're waiting in the weather. I love the Breezecard system. Very simple. One way ride is 2.50 no questions asked. When I was in Philly it was 8 bucks from the Airport to the main downtown station. The ticketing is confusing. You can buy an advance ticket but not from the airport. You have to get on first and pay a conductor based on where you're going. And they have a confusing zone system if you're new to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or