U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:40 AM
bu2

8,973 posts, read 5,668,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaComment View Post
Clifton corridor should be the priority. Would vastly improve MARTA's biggest weakness, the extremely limited route network. The Clifton corridor extension would finally move MARTA away from the current weak "+ sign" configuration and would connect various important employment centers which currently have no transit option as well as bringing a new line from Lindbergh to Avondale allowing for more efficient connections vs running everything through Five Points.

Adding CDC, Emory, Emory Hospital, and Dekalb medical to the route network would provide a huge boost to the overall network and would help reduce congestion in that part of Dekalb.

The 400 extension while important, merely extends the existing limited network further north. This needs to be done as there are tons of jobs and residents up there but Clifton should be the priority.

The I-20 extension is similar to 400 in that it is just stretching the network but in this case it is going into a much less economically vibrant area than the 400 extension. This is and should be the lowest priority expansion.
In addition to connecting the employment in the Clifton area, it could help keep CDC jobs in Atlanta. They already have a satellite site on Buford Highway. We wouldn't want them to move a significant number of those jobs elsewhere at some point in the future because they had poor access to their main site here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 06:56 PM

743 posts, read 652,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Clifton corridor
Red line extension
I-20 east line
This.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:23 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,489,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Mez View Post
I think they're all important and they're all needed. But if you had to pick one to get done first, what would it be?
All three, simultaneously. Time to get serious about transportation.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:12 PM

4,347 posts, read 6,931,478 times
Quote:
Clifton corridor should be the priority. Would vastly improve MARTA's biggest weakness, the extremely limited route network. The Clifton corridor extension would finally move MARTA away from the current weak "+ sign" configuration and would connect various important employment centers which currently have no transit option as well as bringing a new line from Lindbergh to Avondale allowing for more efficient connections vs running everything through Five Points.

Adding CDC, Emory, Emory Hospital, and Dekalb medical to the route network would provide a huge boost to the overall network and would help reduce congestion in that part of Dekalb.

The 400 extension while important, merely extends the existing limited network further north. This needs to be done as there are tons of jobs and residents up there but Clifton should be the priority.

The I-20 extension is similar to 400 in that it is just stretching the network but in this case it is going into a much less economically vibrant area than the 400 extension. This is and should be the lowest priority expansion.
This is a great argument for your order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
That would require amending the MARTA Act (unless the CoA annexed the CID), and I don't think MARTA would be for building a 10-mile rail extension just to have one stop in Cobb County.
Which would be easier? Changing an amendment or Atlanta annexing the area? Probably the first.

As for building a 10 mile rail extension just to have one stop.. I don't look at it as that. I see it as the beginning of an eventual expansion into Cobb. Cobb WILL have MARTA at some point in the future. They're just delaying the inevitible.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:31 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,708,076 times
It probably wouldn't be a 1-stop line either. You'd easily have stops at Cumberland, South Cumberland, West Paces Ferry, and Howell Mill. The incremental cost to build a station is tiny compared to the overall line. All but the first two (last two?) would be in Fulton County and possibly even worthwhile on their own.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:14 AM

22,159 posts, read 16,157,856 times
Quote:

Bingo, adding the Clifton corridor would give commuters another option than transferring at five points. It adds rail density to the system, instead of stretching out the existing lines and serving the suburbs more. The corridor is a huge employment center and is only growing. Maybe the feds would be more willing to fund it because of the number of offices and employees.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:41 PM

4,946 posts, read 3,992,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
The only way this makes sense if they build the stations in a way that completely integrates HRT and LRT, so transferring is just a matter of going up or down some stairs. If you have to completely leave the station and go somewhere else, that's just dumb. It's making the user experience of riding transit worse, affecting the city for generations, to assuage the concerns of people who might just sell their house next month.
Exactly. And what gets me is that this is a part of town where people who claim to love environmentalism, and mass transit, and organicky, etc. live. Yet when such a system comes right to them, they oppose it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
MARTA is a little louder and a little uglier than Light Rail. But they already have a freight railroad there, so I don't really understand it.
IKR?? I guess freight train noise, which is louder, won't bother them, but HRT noise would!

Old 03-11-2015, 12:21 PM

1,061 posts, read 879,150 times
I-20 East: they've been waiting forever. And it better be heavy rail, not a damn bus.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:08 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,703,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
I-20 East: they've been waiting forever. And it better be heavy rail, not a damn bus.
Exactly. I dont know why so many people think this area should be the least important of the 3. There are over 100,000+ people in the Stone Mtn, Lithonia, Decatur area and many actually would use the a new rail line that goes to Panola and Stonecrest to get around. While GA 400 badly needs some rail up to Winward, there are many with the it will bring crime and urban folks mentality that are strongly against it and still would sit in there car for 45 mins to go 10 miles on GA400 than ride the train. If rail does go up 400, your still 1-2 miles away from your job, so unless that area starts running more marta bus routes or office shuttles, people wont use the train.

I work in Alpharetta and I hear people say all the time they fear for their life to ride MARTA. Seriously, people fear riding the Red Line train! Maybe they think all of MARTA is like outside of 5 Pts and Garnett station.

But for it to be truly beneficial, they would need to construct the Redline and I20 extension at the same time to make it truley beneficial foir the extra riders east having easier access to jobs on the north. I dont see anyone on the northside thinking, I can now take the train to StoneCrest Mall.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:33 PM

27,758 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Exactly. I dont know why so many people think this area should be the least important of the 3. There are over 100,000+ people in the Stone Mtn, Lithonia, Decatur area and many actually would use the a new rail line that goes to Panola and Stonecrest to get around. While GA 400 badly needs some rail up to Winward, there are many with the it will bring crime and urban folks mentality that are strongly against it and still would sit in there car for 45 mins to go 10 miles on GA400 than ride the train. If rail does go up 400, your still 1-2 miles away from your job, so unless that area starts running more marta bus routes or office shuttles, people wont use the train.

I work in Alpharetta and I hear people say all the time they fear for their life to ride MARTA. Seriously, people fear riding the Red Line train! Maybe they think all of MARTA is like outside of 5 Pts and Garnett station.

But for it to be truly beneficial, they would need to construct the Redline and I20 extension at the same time to make it truley beneficial foir the extra riders east having easier access to jobs on the north. I dont see anyone on the northside thinking, I can now take the train to StoneCrest Mall.
The residents of Alpharetta are overwhelmingly in support of heavy rail extension up that way; MARTA hasn't gotten any pushback from people with those sorts of concerns from anything I've heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or