U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-07-2015, 06:33 AM
 
54 posts, read 66,183 times
Reputation: 30

Advertisements

i was wondering because i know many people come from New York, Philly, Detroit, Chicago,etc that move to Atlanta and i was wondering if Atlanta still has a good amount people who was born and raised there ? if yeah, in what neighborhoods do find the most people born and raised in Atlanta ?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2015, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Valdosta (Atlanta Native)
3,442 posts, read 2,816,679 times
Reputation: 2148
Atlanta been majority transplants for at least 20 years. You'll find more natives in the more rural areas(South and NORTH Atlanta, don't believe you guys are excluded).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 06:51 AM
 
54 posts, read 66,183 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Atlanta been majority transplants for at least 20 years. You'll find more natives in the more rural areas(South and NORTH Atlanta, don't believe you guys are excluded).
like when you mean South Atlanta do you mean Southwest and Southeast Atlanta right ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Lake Spivey, Georgia
1,841 posts, read 1,252,650 times
Reputation: 1948
I am a native of Atlanta. I grew up in the close-in south side suburb of Morrow, Georgia and attended Forest Park High. Almost everyone I grew up with were Atlanta natives and came from a long line of Atlanta natives. (My mother was an Atlanta native than had grown up in southwest Atlanta's West End and Oakland City communities in the 40's and 50's; my father was from the southwest Georgia town of Moultrie). I never knew how many "transplants" lived in Metro-Atlanta until I got a job in the mid 1990's at Rich's Lenox Square; it was shocking. Why this long explanation? My point is that it depends where in the Metro you are living. The northern suburbs, especially North Fulton, East Cobb, and Dunwoody seem full of transplants; many people that grow up there don't even have noticeable southern accents. The same would go for Peachtree City on the southside. The rest of the southside suburbs with the exception of Peachtree City seem more "southern". I have noticed this about the eastside and westside suburbs, too, even portions of West Cobb and parts of Marietta. There are also many neighborhoods within the City of Atlanta that feel more southern than other parts of the city. Perhaps places that fewer non-natives have moved into, yet they seem to be getting fewer than when I was growing up. My take on it is this: if you are seeking a part of Metro-Atlanta (even in the city) that feels more Southern you can find it; if you want to live in Georgia, but live among few natives, you can find that, too. What I can say that even with the many transplants, in Metro-Atlanta you do still have a choice if you want it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Valdosta (Atlanta Native)
3,442 posts, read 2,816,679 times
Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBangerzz View Post
like when you mean South Atlanta do you mean Southwest and Southeast Atlanta right ?
Yes
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 11:42 AM
 
54 posts, read 66,183 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I am a native of Atlanta. I grew up in the close-in south side suburb of Morrow, Georgia and attended Forest Park High. Almost everyone I grew up with were Atlanta natives and came from a long line of Atlanta natives. (My mother was an Atlanta native than had grown up in southwest Atlanta's West End and Oakland City communities in the 40's and 50's; my father was from the southwest Georgia town of Moultrie). I never knew how many "transplants" lived in Metro-Atlanta until I got a job in the mid 1990's at Rich's Lenox Square; it was shocking. Why this long explanation? My point is that it depends where in the Metro you are living. The northern suburbs, especially North Fulton, East Cobb, and Dunwoody seem full of transplants; many people that grow up there don't even have noticeable southern accents. The same would go for Peachtree City on the southside. The rest of the southside suburbs with the exception of Peachtree City seem more "southern". I have noticed this about the eastside and westside suburbs, too, even portions of West Cobb and parts of Marietta. There are also many neighborhoods within the City of Atlanta that feel more southern than other parts of the city. Perhaps places that fewer non-natives have moved into, yet they seem to be getting fewer than when I was growing up. My take on it is this: if you are seeking a part of Metro-Atlanta (even in the city) that feels more Southern you can find it; if you want to live in Georgia, but live among few natives, you can find that, too. What I can say that even with the many transplants, in Metro-Atlanta you do still have a choice if you want it.
oh okay, and how was Atlanta like in 90's compared to now in 2015 ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 11:53 AM
 
54 posts, read 66,183 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Yes
oh okay then.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Reputation: 12537
That started in 1866...and it never ended.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 12:04 PM
 
446 posts, read 505,266 times
Reputation: 153
Wasnt born in Atlanta but moved to the area when i was 1 yrs old so basically i am a native. its still plenty natives for as the city and surround counties contrary to popular belief
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 02:38 PM
 
1,381 posts, read 2,478,644 times
Reputation: 821
I moved here in 3rd grade....not sure how old that is. Outside of the people I grew up with, I feel the vast majority of folks I come in contact with are transplants like myself (I consider myself native though).
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top