U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:56 AM

29,157 posts, read 26,100,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1324 View Post
I would guess that number is significantly diluted from folks that work part time jobs at the store down the street. The average commute time from Cobb to downtown/midtown/perimeter/buckhead is certainly much longer than 30min (obviously varies depending on where in cobb, but I bet average is 45-50min).
Well, only about 17% of Cobb workers commute to somewhere within the city limits of Atlanta.

So yes, while I-75 may get crowded you can hardly blame that on Cobb. The freeways are set up to handle several times the number of folks coming from Cobb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 11:08 AM

1,110 posts, read 762,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Fair enough, but why do you think people accept this way of life?
A fair question.

Others may ask the same of central city dwellers. Why do they pay high dollar amounts for relatively small houses (or even smaller condos with high, non-tax deductible fees) that are often in need of substantial overhauls and are sometimes in (again, relatively speaking) higher crime areas? I can't speak for them, but I imagine that they enjoy walkability and, if they actually work in town, perhaps they benefit from a relatively short commute.

As for us, we live in downtown Marietta. It is highly walkable, with a few dozen restaurants, bars and art galleries, one of the largest weekend farmer's markets in the region, the main public library, frequent festivals and such, all within a 15 minute walk from our front door. We were able to buy a large, high quality, customized new construction house for much less than we would have paid for something half its size in need of serious work in a desirable in town location. While our neighborhood is comprised of new construction houses, it is within an older neighborhood, and is pattterned after neighborhoods of the past, with houses close together, in a compact street grid connected with its surroundings,all with front porches and back decks, and a fun and tight knit social fabric. Kennesaw Mountain and other outdoor activities abound nearby, and between those and the amenities on the Square, we don't often have to stray far for fun on the weekends if we don't want to. We are essentially living a city life, just in a smaller city than central Atlanta.

As for my commute, it is about 10-15 minutes longer than it used to be when we lived in Smyrna, and my wife's is essentially the same. For me, that's an additional 2-3 NPR stories, which I enjoy anyways, so it is well worth it to me. And that is what it comes down to, for city dwellers and suburbanites alike: lifestyle choices and trade-offs. We are quite satisfied with ours.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:01 AM

69 posts, read 55,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Fair enough, but why do you think people accept this way of life?
I have often wondered that about metro Atlanta. Why don't we DEMAND our government fix these traffic issues? It seems all they do is approve new building projects without any thoughts to the traffic repercussions.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:13 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,687,204 times
Why do people accept this way of life? Lol

Why do people move to California knowing the big one is coming soon?
Why do people move to tornado alley?
Why do people move to Chicago with the cold winters?

Old 03-10-2015, 06:19 AM

5,368 posts, read 3,786,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Why do people accept this way of life? Lol

Why do people move to California knowing the big one is coming soon?
Why do people move to tornado alley?
Why do people move to Chicago with the cold winters?
Why Why Why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pboh1SFk6TM

Old 03-10-2015, 06:50 AM

15,247 posts, read 7,773,232 times
I moved from Cobb County due to spending too much time in traffic.

It doesn't bother some people but it was a waste of gas and time IMO. Even though some have mentioned it is a good place to raise a family, to me it was not due to me spending too much time away from my family, myself and my husband who worked in downtown Atlanta at the time of our move (both of us). We moved to "the hood" in Atlanta itself lol, to get away from the traffic and had a better quality of life after our move.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:35 AM

29,157 posts, read 26,100,867 times
Cobb's got a pretty balanced picture for its workforce. Slightly more come into work than those who head out.

Of those who work outside the county, around 27% go somewhere in the city of Atlanta and the rest work somewhere else.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:35 AM

950 posts, read 3,480,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I feel for the people that work at NCR in Duluth, bought a house nearby but now will be forced to commute intown. And if they complain about the commute people on here will ask why the didn't move close to work. Offices move. It happens and if you just bought a house it's expensive to just up and move when you can just commute. Throw in a family who has roots in an area, school friends and all, or a spouse who still works nearby and you really don't have much of a choice.
This is a good point. My buddy works at Porsche HQ and he says he expects many of their employees to quit due to the move down to Airport area. Just too far of a commute from the northern burbs.

My wife and I are eventually planning on moving OTP for a bigger house and better schools. We have no idea where to buy though. As you said, jobs can often change and move.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:45 AM

23,184 posts, read 17,386,874 times
A county over 700K people and a skeleton bus system will cause horrible traffic.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:04 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
This is a good point. My buddy works at Porsche HQ and he says he expects many of their employees to quit due to the move down to Airport area. Just too far of a commute from the northern burbs.
This is already happening. I know several businesses in the Cobb/North Fulton area that have gained some of Porsche's former employees. I'm sure it will all work out fine for Porsche and NCR, but it's stressful for those employees who have to find a new job to avoid a long commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or