U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,238,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
A fair question.

Others may ask the same of central city dwellers. Why do they pay high dollar amounts for relatively small houses (or even smaller condos with high, non-tax deductible fees) that are often in need of substantial overhauls and are sometimes in (again, relatively speaking) higher crime areas? I can't speak for them, but I imagine that they enjoy walkability and, if they actually work in town, perhaps they benefit from a relatively short commute.

As for us, we live in downtown Marietta. It is highly walkable, with a few dozen restaurants, bars and art galleries, one of the largest weekend farmer's markets in the region, the main public library, frequent festivals and such, all within a 15 minute walk from our front door. We were able to buy a large, high quality, customized new construction house for much less than we would have paid for something half its size in need of serious work in a desirable in town location. While our neighborhood is comprised of new construction houses, it is within an older neighborhood, and is pattterned after neighborhoods of the past, with houses close together, in a compact street grid connected with its surroundings,all with front porches and back decks, and a fun and tight knit social fabric. Kennesaw Mountain and other outdoor activities abound nearby, and between those and the amenities on the Square, we don't often have to stray far for fun on the weekends if we don't want to. We are essentially living a city life, just in a smaller city than central Atlanta.

As for my commute, it is about 10-15 minutes longer than it used to be when we lived in Smyrna, and my wife's is essentially the same. For me, that's an additional 2-3 NPR stories, which I enjoy anyways, so it is well worth it to me. And that is what it comes down to, for city dwellers and suburbanites alike: lifestyle choices and trade-offs. We are quite satisfied with ours.
Lived around the Square for many years. Always unique, and the slow housing transformation over the past few years, with more walkable options, has been encouraging - -and 75/285/Atlanta are not far. If we returned to Georgia, we would look there again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 10:03 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Lived around the Square for many years. Always unique, and the slow housing transformation over the past few years, with more walkable options, has been encouraging - -and 75/285/Atlanta are not far. If we returned to Georgia, we would look there again.
Good call, and thank you for the nice comments. The transformation really has been something else. When I first moved to the ATL area, I really found little reason to go up to Marietta, other than to the library and to get my French bakery fix now and again at Douceur de France. It has really turned around in the last 5 years or so, though, and to your point, several builders (John Wieland, Brock Built, David Weekly and Traton) are building new homes and townhomes within walking distance of the Square with a combined value of $150M or more. I really hope that the resulting infusion of new residents will lead to still more interesting dining options on the Square - and perhaps a Publix on Roswell St., which is the only thing I need on a frequent basis that still requires a bit of a drive.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:36 AM

28,189 posts, read 24,782,755 times
What has happened around the Marietta square is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or