Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 11:48 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,959 times

Advertisements

I noticed when I first moved down here in '05, that there were still some southern accents. They are pretty much all gone now. Perhaps from all the Northerners like myself who have moved down here. Even people I know that had a slight accent have lost them, with only a slight slight hint. So slight, that it's about the same as a little bit of a twang I may have picked up since moving here. It's not my imagination or that I've gotten used to the accent. When I go back to the Northeast for visits, people still sound exactly the same. When I head to other parts of the South, I hear Southern accents and it's very obvious. Am I crazy, or is Atlanta virtually accent-less, and significantly more so than ten years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 04:25 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
The melting pot effect. I still know some that have a strong accent, but they were born and raised here. However, most people I know are from somewhere else. I imagine the accent wears off even on people from here because they're forced to hang out with us Yankees.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:26 AM

221 posts, read 431,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I noticed when I first moved down here in '05, that there were still some southern accents. They are pretty much all gone now. Perhaps from all the Northerners like myself who have moved down here. Even people I know that had a slight accent have lost them, with only a slight slight hint. So slight, that it's about the same as a little bit of a twang I may have picked up since moving here. It's not my imagination or that I've gotten used to the accent. When I go back to the Northeast for visits, people still sound exactly the same. When I head to other parts of the South, I hear Southern accents and it's very obvious. Am I crazy, or is Atlanta virtually accent-less, and significantly more so than ten years ago?

Go to any hood in Atlanta and you will hear southern accents.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,072 times
Atlanta is an international city and gets people from all over so it results in a pretty neutral accent.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:38 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,701 times
I have really never heard strong southern accents from Born and Bred Atlantans (of a certain class). Strong Southern culture yes. Accents, not so much.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:56 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,072 times
I will add: "Y'all" is linguistically superior since English is one of the few major languages with out a separate word for the plural version of "you".

All the rest of y'all English speakers need to get it together! "yous guys" is just silly and ineffective.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I will add: "Y'all" is linguistically superior since English is one of the few major languages with out a separate word for the plural version of "you".

All the rest of y'all English speakers need to get it together! "yous guys" is just silly and ineffective.
Yes, and thanks to the popularity of Southern hip-hop by way of Atlanta, the word is spreading like wild fire around the globe. I was just in SE Asia for a few weeks, and I heard it freely being used is some conversations. Most of these folks worked in call centers though, so I suppose they picked it up while talking to their customers.

The Remarkable History of "Y'all" | Dialect Blog

Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yes, and thanks to the popularity of Southern hip-hop by way of Atlanta, the word is spreading like wild fire around the globe. I was just in SE Asia for a few weeks, and I heard it freely being used is some conversations. Most of these folks worked in call centers though, so I suppose they picked it up while talking to their customers.

The Remarkable History of "Y'all" | Dialect Blog
I'm not even sure if that's a southern hip hop thing. I think it's southern (and Black) vernacular seeping into mainstream speech.

During the Heat-Pacers series, Jeff Van Gundy remarked that Lance Stephenson was "straight up ballin'." Wonder where he got that from...

Old 08-05-2014, 09:26 AM

708 posts, read 999,205 times
Atlanta does have it...Especially when Atlanta people that are born and raised her....Accent words you can tell they from ATL

ION ------------------------------------------------------- ( I DONT )
Yeen, ------------------------------ (you don't or you on't)
Aye ------------------------------ (HEY!!!)
Wassam ------------------------------- (WASSUP
TRuu -------------------------------- (TRUE)
Was Hanen -------------------------------- (what's happening)
SUH!!! -------------------------------- (SISTER)
BRUH, BREH, BRAH --------------------------------- (BROTHER OR BRO)
CUH,CUZ --------------------------------- (COUSIN)
CAINT ---------------------------------- (CANT)
YARDI ----------------------------------- (YOU ALREADY KNOW OR YALL ALREADY KNOW )
SHAWTY ------------------------------------ (GIRL OR SOMEBODY
MANE ------------------------------------------------------------------ (MANE )
TALM ---------------------------------------------------------------- (TALKING)
BOUD ---------------------------------- (BOUT)
YEEN ABOUD THAT LIFE ------------------------------------ (YOU ARE NOT ABOUT THAT LIFE AS IN DRUGS,FIGHTIN,SHOOTING ETC
TURNUP --------------------------- (like you finna have funn or You fiinna go crazy or wild
TurnDOWN ------------------------- (LIKE SOMEBODY SAID SOMETHING LAME, OR IT WASNT FUNNY...
KILT THE VIBE --------------------------------- (KILL THE VIBE- AS IN U JUST MESSED UP SOMETHING THAT WAS COOL OR FUN ETC.
FINNA -------------------------------- (ABOUT TO)
ERRRWEA --------------- (EVERYWHERE)
ERRRBODY ----------- (EVERYBODY)

ITS PLENTY I'LL POST SOME MORE LATE

ACCENT IN A SENTENCE:

AYE BRAH U GOTTA BLUNT,,,,SHIIID ION GOT SHIIID.......
BREH WE FINNA GO TO CLUB.........TRUUUU
AYE SHAWTY AINT YOU ABOUT THAT LIFE !?!?!??
HEEEEEYYY SUHHH WHEA U FINNA GO...
MANNEEEE YEEN GOT NO CHANGE ON YOU....
YARDI KNOW I GOT THEM STACKS
AYEEE CUHHH, BRING ME SOME BACK
AYE WE FINNA TURNUP ERRWEA WE GO
where errrbody at?
Just shutup you kilt the vibe, dont even talk no more

LOL.....ITS TO MANY

Last edited by thebigATL; 08-05-2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 AM
bu2

24,074 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Its there, but muted. And its thicker in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta