Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 01:15 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Just asking.......

Generally if people like a city they try to move there or as close to it as possible. Like me, I like Atlanta so I moved here. I just never understood posters who will brag about one city all the time but choose to move thousands of miles away from that "great" city but it is what it is. Good luck
For many people, the location of their job, particularly if it's a good, highly specialized one, is going to dictate the metro area in which they can live. For instance, the industry in which I've specialized has major companies with headquarters in only three or four cities in the entire country. Atlanta happens to be one of them, and, for me, it's by far the most attractive one of the group as far as places to actually live are concerned. I really like my industry, I'm good at what I do, and I've been here a long time and thus have plenty of vacation. So, here I am.

Would I rather live elsewhere? Quite possibly. But I don't see myself switching industries anytime soon, the other cities relevant in my industry aren't as appealing to me, and I'm vested both in my company and the ATL area. So, again, here I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 04:20 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
You don't know my personal circumstances and I am not going to explain them to you or anyone else on this forum. just because I have not been able to move back to Chicago that does not change the fact that Chicago is a better city than both Atlanta and Dallas in terms of what the OP is looking for. I also love San Diego but I don't live there.

I have lived in both Atlanta and Dallas, not Chicago, but I've visited there a number of times.

I much prefer Atlanta and Dallas over Chicago. But I agree that based on what the OP is asking for, Chicago fits him better.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:36 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
For many people, the location of their job, particularly if it's a good, highly specialized one, is going to dictate the metro area in which they can live. For instance, the industry in which I've specialized has major companies with headquarters in only three or four cities in the entire country. Atlanta happens to be one of them, and, for me, it's by far the most attractive one of the group as far as places to actually live are concerned. I really like my industry, I'm good at what I do, and I've been here a long time and thus have plenty of vacation. So, here I am.

Would I rather live elsewhere? Quite possibly. But I don't see myself switching industries anytime soon, the other cities relevant in my industry aren't as appealing to me, and I'm vested both in my company and the ATL area. So, again, here I am.
I'm just saying....nothing would prevent me from living in Atlanta unless a judge banned me from here or unless I was in the witness protection program but I guess that's the life of a single guy lol.

Btw Chicago does offer more but you can only enjoy it a few months out the year because of the cold weather

Old 03-10-2015, 07:15 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Cause it usually takes alot more money/income to live in a great city than atlanta or dallas.
Chicago isn't that expensive though, especially compared to other great cities like SF or NYC. That's the thing.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:28 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
I live in Dallas currently and am getting ready to move for the same reasons as the OP. I've been here 2 years and feel Dallas gets a fair share of credit, rightfully so. However, the city is very overrated in terms of nightlife. In fact, Dallas only has a few spots that are worthy of singles' attention. That being Uptown, Lower Greenville, maybe Legacy Plano. There may be a couple of other noteworthy areas that are slipping my mind as I write this post. But, as a single, unless these areas represent the demographic you're targeting, which is highly subjective and varies person by person, these areas may not cut it for you. This makes the social scene here for a single person feel pretty isolated, boring and lacking options. IMO, Atlanta has a more vibrant core than Dallas, not anything comparable to Chicago, but better than Dallas by a long shot, especially for jazz and blues. Dallas lacks a certain 'je ne sais quoi. Can't really but my finger on it, but it looks better on paper until you start living here and then reality sets in. OP should pick his ideal city first, and then let everything else fall in place naturally.

Last edited by lovely40; 03-11-2015 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-11-2015, 02:09 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
I live in Dallas currently and am getting ready to move for the same reasons as the OP. I've been here 2 years and feel Dallas gets a fair share of credit, rightfully so. However, the city is very overrated in terms of nightlife. In fact, Dallas only has a few spots that are worthy of singles' attention. That being Uptown, Lower Greenville, maybe Legacy Plano. There may be a couple of other noteworthy areas that are slipping my mind as I write this post. But, as a single, unless these areas represent the demographic you're targeting, which is highly subjective and varies person by person, these areas may not cut it for you. This makes the social scene here for a single person feel pretty isolated, boring and lacking options. IMO, Atlanta has a more vibrant core than Dallas, not anything comparable to Chicago, but better than Dallas by a long shot, especially for jazz and blues. Dallas lacks a certain 'je ne sais quoi. Can't really but my finger on it, but it looks better on paper until you start living here and then reality sets in. OP should pick his ideal city first, and then let everything else fall in place naturally.
I have noticed here in Dallas that certain people don't let you into their social circles. It's easier to connect with other transplants. It was the same experience in Atlanta but not as bad. Most of my friends in Atlanta were transplants as well--like 97%.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:33 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
Quote:
I have noticed here in Dallas that certain people don't let you into their social circles. It's easier to connect with other transplants. It was the same experience in Atlanta but not as bad. Most of my friends in Atlanta were transplants as well--like 97%.

Very true. I noticed this too. And then once they move away, you're starting all over again. Between this and all the driving, my social life has drastically suffered here.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:57 PM

850 posts, read 796,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Chicago isn't that expensive though, especially compared to other great cities like SF or NYC. That's the thing.
When you factor in high taxes and rents yeah it averages out to more expensive, but on the flip side you have public transit, walkable neighborhoods, A huge lake front in lake michigan, grant park,muesums and there are other factors that would lean toward Chicago advantage, but Atl has come a long way.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:02 PM

850 posts, read 796,545 times
Quote:
Believe it or not thats everywhere, most people you will connect are either from school or work, my time in Atlanta was just ok, took time to adjust coming from big city like chicago, I didn't mind the heat, what I didn't like was the poor infrastructure, traffic,ugly sprawl although the hills and trees cover it up, it was a bit showy and pretentious also, but on there were nice people I met also.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:57 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Believe it or not thats everywhere, most people you will connect are either from school or work, my time in Atlanta was just ok, took time to adjust coming from big city like chicago, I didn't mind the heat, what I didn't like was the poor infrastructure, traffic,ugly sprawl although the hills and trees cover it up, it was a bit showy and pretentious also, but on there were nice people I met also.
Even at work, when you are the new person, those who have a tight-knight group don't let you in. I notice that here in Dallas among the natives.

I didn't like Atlanta for the same reasons. Dallas has better infrastructure than Atlanta but it its even more sprawled out because it's so much bigger here. You have to dive 15 to 20 miles one way to get a lot of places depending on where you are going. As the previous poster mentioned all the driving here does take a toll.

The thing with Atlanta, the sprawl becomes a problem with sitting traffic. There's traffic here too, but it moves. With Chicago, you can get by very easily without a car. I didn't even get my license until I moved to Georgia. Contrary to what some people here say, parts of DFW it's very hilly. My neighborhood here in Texas has huge hills unlike anything I ever saw in Atlanta.

Atlanta and Dallas have similarities, neither city is like Chicago, all cities have their pluses and minuses, Chicago fits the OP's needs the most if he can stand the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta