U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 10:19 PM

438 posts, read 433,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Even at work, when you are the new person, those who have a tight-knight group don't let you in. I notice that here in Dallas among the natives.

I didn't like Atlanta for the same reasons. Dallas has better infrastructure than Atlanta but it its even more sprawled out because it's so much bigger here. You have to dive 15 to 20 miles one way to get a lot of places depending on where you are going. As the previous poster mentioned all the driving here does take a toll.

The thing with Atlanta, the sprawl becomes a problem with sitting traffic. There's traffic here too, but it moves. With Chicago, you can get by very easily without a car. I didn't even get my license until I moved to Georgia. Contrary to what some people here say, parts of DFW it's very hilly. My neighborhood here in Texas has huge hills unlike anything I ever saw in Atlanta.

Atlanta and Dallas have similarities, neither city is like Chicago, all cities have their pluses and minuses, Chicago fits the OP's needs the most if he can stand the cold.
Well fitting in also means fitting into a socio-economic circle that you belong to. Atlanta has a large african-american,korean,mexican population mix that with southern whites and transplants in a city that is not NY or Chicago it tends to be clicky and some-what segregated. I do see people interacting, but it very noticeable that people hang around their own race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 11:03 PM

4,642 posts, read 3,010,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Well fitting in also means fitting into a socio-economic circle that you belong to. Atlanta has a large african-american,korean,mexican population mix that with southern whites and transplants in a city that is not NY or Chicago it tends to be clicky and some-what segregated. I do see people interacting, but it very noticeable that people hang around their own race.
It really depends upon your circle of people and where you live. My circle and area resembles the U.N., and I love it. I realize not everywhere is like this here, but that's the point.

Atlanta is too vast and varied to generalize just about any aspect of life here.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:59 AM

6,370 posts, read 4,522,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
No.
lol

Old 03-13-2015, 11:37 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Just watch out Chicago had over 30 shootings this past week

Old 03-13-2015, 11:56 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,828,331 times
Being that you're going back to NYC within 6 months to a year, why even waste time with Chicago or Atlanta? Man just stay in Dallas until you can get back to NYC.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:36 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,759,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Just watch out Chicago had over 30 shootings this past week

Op, ignore comments like this. As a working professional whom I assume isn't involved in a gang, you are more likely to get shot and killed while being robbed on the street in Atlanta than getting shot in Chicago. Pedestrian foot robberies where the victims are shot and killed (and even kidnapped) definitely happens Atlanta; I know at least two regular working folk who were shot and killed in Atlanta while being robbed. One was killed at work, the other on his way home from work. Watch Atlanta local news and see for yourself. You could get robbed and killed in Midtown ad readily ad southwest Atlanta.

The shootings in Chicago are problem but they typically happen in the worst neighborhoods where you'd have absolutely no reason to set foot in them.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
The shootings in Chicago are problem but they typically happen in the worst neighborhoods where you'd have absolutely no reason to set foot in them.
Yes, just like Atlanta. The rest of your post is nothing more than your regular and very common over-exaggeration of anything negative regarding Atlanta. Your agenda is showing again.

You make it sound like the entire City is The Bluff.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:50 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, just like Atlanta. The rest of your post is nothing more than your regular and very common over-exaggeration of anything negative regarding Atlanta. Your agenda is showing again.

Shootings -- Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com

Www.heyjackass.com
Check out that map. Shootings are everywhere grrrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2015, 01:22 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,759,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

No, the whole city of Atlanta is not crime infested just like the whole city of Chicago is not crime infested. However atlanta still does have a higher crime rate than Chicago. Positively, crime is down in both cities. My point isn't to make atlanta look like a war zone, my point is that you don't have to be in a gang or living in a bad neighborhood to be a victim of crime in Atlanta. Regular working folks get killed while being robbed in metro Atlanta all the time. And doesn't happen just in bad neighborhoods at least in Chicago You can easily avoid Crohn areas and gangs. In Atlanta it's more random.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
No, the whole city of Atlanta is not crime infested just like the whole city of Chicago is not crime infested. However atlanta still does have a higher crime rate than Chicago. Positively, crime is down in both cities. My point isn't to make atlanta look like a war zone, my point is that you don't have to be in a gang or living in a bad neighborhood to be a victim of crime in Atlanta.
Yes, just like Chicago.

Quote:
Regular working folks get killed while being robbed in metro Atlanta all the time. And doesn't happen just in bad neighborhoods at least in Chicago You can easily avoid Crohn areas and gangs. In Atlanta it's more random.
No, it isn't. You are again trying to dissuade someone from moving here due to your opinion, which does not match up with reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or