Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 03:31 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
No.

This is the right answer based on your criteria. Atlanta is very different than NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 03:36 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
This is the right answer based on your criteria. Atlanta is very different than NYC.
Really? No way

Old 03-10-2015, 07:33 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,890 times
You will likely find 2 of the three options here. The dating scene here is good for singles and there are numerous live jazz venues in the area. However, downtown Atlanta aside from the Edgewood Avenue and Auburn Avenue areas is rather quiet after daytime work hours. Midtown Atlanta is currently the only area in the core that stays lively well after dark.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:43 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Hello all...

Need some insight. I am single 33 year old male currently living in Dallas. Originally from Tennessee. I moved to Dallas a few months ago from New York to take on a new position and to build my resume. I absolutely loved New York City, but couldn't take the toll of high cost of living.

After doing some research, I decided to take a pay cut and move to Dallas.

Well I have been here two months and I am convinced that this is not the place for me.

Socially it has been very difficult finding a group to spend time with. I am a friendly guy, but just don't seem to be having much luck meeting people. Also, the downtown area where I live completely shuts down after 7 pm.

My plan is to work 6 months to a year and then transfer to a new city. Narrowed my choices to either Atlanta and Chicago.

I am a simple guy and don't need much. If I could find a place with the following I would be very happy:

-Good dating scene
-Live Jazz music venues
-Concentrated Downtown area that has things open after 9 pm

I know I will never be able to find another city that matches vibe of New York.

Just looking for a place that has a bit more action.

Will I find that in Atlanta?

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Neither downtown Atlanta or Dallas has the vibrancy or offerings that downtown Chicago does. Chicago is the only other city in the US that has similarities to New York. Maybe Philadelphia. Midtown Atlanta is nice but still it is not on the same level as downtown Chicago.

Not only does Chicago have many great live jazz venues, it also has many great blues venues. Chicago Blues is world-renowned. Chicago's Second City improv is also world-renowned, if you were into that sort of thing. Chicago is also the birthplace of House music so House is the thing there. Atlanta does have some great music festivals as well.

As far as the dating scene, from what I understand Chicago favors single men, but then, so does Atlanta.

I have lived in Chicago, then Atlanta, and now Dallas. If I have to choose between the three, I would definitely choose Chicago. neither Atlanta or Dallas is on the same level in terms of what they offer compared to Chicago. Also Chicago is less expensive than New York City.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 03-10-2015 at 09:59 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Neither downtown Atlanta or Dallas has the vibrancy or offerings that downtown Chicago does. Chicago is the only other city in the US that has similarities to New York. Maybe Philadelphia. Midtown Atlanta ipossible but still it is not on the same level as downtown Chicago.

Not only does Chicago has many great live jazz venues, it also has many great blues venues. Chicago Blues is world-renowned. Chicago's Second City improv is also world-renowned, if you were into that sort of thing.

As far as the dating scene, from what I understand Chicago favors single men, but then, so does Atlanta.

I have lived in Chicago, then Atlanta, and now Dallas. If I have to choose between the three, I would definitely choose Chicago. neither Atlanta or Dallas is on the same level in terms of what they offer compared to Chicago. Also Chicago is less expensive than New York City.

Serious question. You said you would choose Chicago but you choose Dallas. If Chicago is so great why haven't you moved back there. You are free to move to Chicago any day of the week but you choose to live far away from Chicago as possible. I don't understand telling people to move to one city when you chose to move from that city. You could have moved to Green Bay , Indy, Detroit, etc to be near Chicago but you chose otherwise

Old 03-10-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Serious question. You said you would choose Chicago but you choose Dallas. If Chicago is so great why haven't you moved back there. You are free to move to Chicago any day of the week but you choose to live far away from Chicago as possible. I don't understand telling people to move to one city when you chose to move from that city. You could have moved to Green Bay , Indy, Detroit, etc to be near Chicago but you chose otherwise
You don't know my personal circumstances and I am not going to explain them to you or anyone else on this forum. just because I have not been able to move back to Chicago that does not change the fact that Chicago is a better city than both Atlanta and Dallas in terms of what the OP is looking for. I also love San Diego but I don't live there.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
You don't know my personal circumstances and I am not going to explain them to you or anyone else on this forum.
Just asking.......

Generally if people like a city they try to move there or as close to it as possible. Like me, I like Atlanta so I moved here. I just never understood posters who will brag about one city all the time but choose to move thousands of miles away from that "great" city but it is what it is. Good luck

Old 03-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Just asking.......

Generally if people like a city they try to move there or as close to it as possible. Like me, I like Atlanta so I moved here. I just never understood posters who will brag about one city all the time but choose to move thousands of miles away from that "great" city but it is what it is. Good luck
Everything isn't as black and white as you try to make it out to be. We can all love and appreciate great cities from afar. If someone on the forum posted that they wanted a more suburban lifestyle and to be able to get a big house on the cheap, then I will suggest Atlanta or Dallas.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:08 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,077 times
Quote:
Just asking.......

Cause it usually takes alot more money/income to live in a great city than atlanta or dallas.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:57 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
I feel like mathmanmathman needs to be in this thread so that there are dueling mathmans on the awesomeness of Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta