Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 05:40 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,164,264 times

Advertisements

Public service worker, arrested by public servant, charged by public prosecutor, goes to jail for providing public service to early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 05:41 PM

31,994 posts, read 36,537,731 times
Those folks up in Sandy Springs don't mess around.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:51 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,370,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Public service worker, arrested by public servant, charged by public prosecutor, goes to jail for providing public service to early.
At the citizens' request. Bless.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:30 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,284,991 times
And this my city-data friends, is why Unions and collective bargaining are totally necessary.

Only in an ignorant backwoods hillbilly state that nonsense like this is possible. This is simply human rights abuse. Did the guy even have a choice in going out to work early?

I am waiting on pins and needles for the day that Georgia's voting population becomes blue enough to kick these idiots out of power.

These "conservatives" and the laws they create are very dehumanizing and totally suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post

A Sandy Springs sanitation worker said he was taken to jail for picking up trash too early in the morning, a violation of the Georgia city’s ordinance.

Kevin McGill will spend the next 14 weekends in jail because he picked up trash minutes after 5 a.m. one morning—an offense worthy of automatic jail time, according to the city solicitor.

Chief prosecutor Bill Riley said picking up waste too early in the morning has been a recurring problem no matter what approach is taken to limit the issue. He asked the judge to sentence McGill to 30 days in jail.

Riley told WSB-TV he’s exhausted all other options.

“Fines don’t seem to work,” Riley said. “The only thing that seems to stop the activity is actually going to jail.”

Riley says 911 lights up when trash haulers come before 7 a.m.

McGill, who didn’t have an attorney with him when he was sentenced, is serving his time on the weekend. His new attorney wonders why he’s being punished.

“Give him a warning,” attorney Kimberly Bandoh said. “I mean he’s the employee. He’s not the employer. Sentencing him to jail is doing what?”

McGill opted to serve his time on the weekends, spreading the sentence out over more than three months. McGill said he just wants to get back with his wife, two sons and four dogs.

Garbage man sent to jail for picking up trash too early | Atlanta

Old 03-08-2015, 07:57 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,246,626 times
I haven't once had a reason to go to Sandy Springs since moving to Atlanta, but I'll be sure to go out of my way to avoid it in the future if they don't apologize to this man and reimburse him for the extreme trouble that they have put him through.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,225,816 times
I agree with the comment above: This draconian sentence amounts to a human rights violation. It needs to be overturned quickly.

The police department should probably turn their attention to the idiots who "swamp 911 with calls when trash pickup occurs too early in the morning" (quoted from a Yahoo News article). BTW, there are 7,200 + comments and counting on that article: Garbage Man Sentenced To 30 DAYS IN JAIL For Picking Up Trash Too Early

Old 03-08-2015, 09:27 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,670,122 times
I wish, we could get the back-story from his employer as well. I hope, he is looking for a new job as well seeing as they though, they couldn't spare the money to send an attorney with him defend him. What a bunch of bull.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:00 AM

2,933 posts, read 4,089,100 times
I agree that the burden should fall on the employer if they're ordering their drivers to start their routes before it's legal but what is really disturbing about this story trending is how many people are outraged that someone is being punished for breaking the law - a law that's routinely flouted by waste haulers in any city where the most severe punishment is an $80 fine.

Most cities have noise ordinances. Mine does. And if you've ever been awoken by this BS at 4am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84E9i9_ELBs you'd understand why. Thinking you have the right to make as much noise as you want at any hour of the night is some adolescent type of petty tyranny. It's anti-civic and a sad reminder of what this country has become.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:38 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,824,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
And this my city-data friends, is why Unions and collective bargaining are totally necessary.

Only in an ignorant backwoods hillbilly state that nonsense like this is possible. This is simply human rights abuse. Did the guy even have a choice in going out to work early?

I am waiting on pins and needles for the day that Georgia's voting population becomes blue enough to kick these idiots out of power.

These "conservatives" and the laws they create are very dehumanizing and totally suck.
agreed

Old 03-09-2015, 06:27 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,370,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I agree that the burden should fall on the employer if they're ordering their drivers to start their routes before it's legal but what is really disturbing about this story trending is how many people are outraged that someone is being punished for breaking the law - a law that's routinely flouted by waste haulers in any city where the most severe punishment is an $80 fine.

Most cities have noise ordinances. Mine does. And if you've ever been awoken by this BS at 4am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84E9i9_ELBs you'd understand why. Thinking you have the right to make as much noise as you want at any hour of the night is some adolescent type of petty tyranny. It's anti-civic and a sad reminder of what this country has become.

That was less than a minute of noise. And it really wasn't even that bad. What do you do when a police siren or a firetruck or a train goes by? If you want no standard city noises, you need to move to the Country and haul your own trash to the dump. It's not like it's 30 minutes of jackhammering at 5am. Or chainsaws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta