U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 12:05 PM

2,305 posts, read 1,427,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
My problems are with the following:

1. that there is a noise ordinance including garbage truckes at all.
2. That Putting a DRIVER in jail because fines didn't work seemed like a reasonable solution
3. That residents would actually call 911 whining about this
4. That a judge would throw the book at a driver who did this, without question the entire sideshow.

In short, something is STUPID about Sandy Springs.
It whole existence as a municipality, that's what it is...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 PM

2,305 posts, read 1,427,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You can't blame people for complaining about the racket at 5 am. Nobody wants to hear them bouncing around those commercial dumpsters at that hour of the day and that is why we have noise ordinances.

However, this gentleman said he'd only been hauling in Sandy Springs for three months, so he may not have known.
Uh, where I stay now, I hear them every week around 3 am, and I'm like so what. I used to live another major U.S. city where I was located near 5 emergency rooms and a fire station, and heard sirens of ambulances, fire engines, and trash compactors night and day. Oh yeah, the city had a very stringent noise ordinance, but guess what nobody in the area cared like that to waste taxpayers dollars over something that damn stupid. Some people need to get over themselves because when you live in a highly populated urbanized area there is going to be some noises...

Old 03-09-2015, 12:52 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,703,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
I wonder how the police and courts would deal with Sandy Springs residents calling 911 to complain about police, ambulance, or fire sirens between the hours of 11pm and 7am. Would 911 also be called if there is a water main break in the middle of the night and workers were called out to repair, creating noise at 2am? What happens if they hear a plane? Will the pilot also be jailed?

The preference is almost always for quiet. Some exceptions exist, but we humans generally prefer to have control over the noise in our environment. However, living in large cities and communities requires a lot of compromise and adjustment of behavior in order to mitigate things. If you want cheap, private garbage removal services, chances are that means a waste management company who utilizes fewer workers on longer routes, requiring those workers to operate during undesirable times in order to complete all the work each day. In exchange for this, residents should be prepared to adjust to wearing earplugs, installing soundproofing, using white noise machines, etc in order to get the best rest possible.

City noises happen. People should adjust when it relates to things required to make a community run smoothly.

100% agree.

Nothing anyone else says can make me think otherwise, to be honest. it's a fact of life, when you live in an area with any sort of density.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
It whole existence as a municipality, that's what it is...
haha! Well I guess we get to just watch this social experiment play out.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:36 PM

22,193 posts, read 16,201,271 times
You stay classy Sandy Springs.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:47 PM

28,160 posts, read 24,711,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Uh, where I stay now, I hear them every week around 3 am, and I'm like so what. I used to live another major U.S. city where I was located near 5 emergency rooms and a fire station, and heard sirens of ambulances, fire engines, and trash compactors night and day. Oh yeah, the city had a very stringent noise ordinance, but guess what nobody in the area cared like that to waste taxpayers dollars over something that damn stupid. Some people need to get over themselves because when you live in a highly populated urbanized area there is going to be some noises...
Well, I hear you but in defense of Sandy Springs they like a real high quality of life up there.

In my opinion there's a big difference between the siren on an emergency vehicle and private contractors banging around commercial dumpsters during routine collections. If they want to run their trucks during off hours they need to do it quietly. (And yes, it is entirely possible to do so).

Old 03-09-2015, 02:14 PM

22,193 posts, read 16,201,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I hear you but in defense of Sandy Springs they like a real high quality of life up there.

In my opinion there's a big difference between the siren on an emergency vehicle and private contractors banging around commercial dumpsters during routine collections. If they want to run their trucks during off hours they need to do it quietly. (And yes, it is entirely possible to do so).
I would think everyone likes a high quality of life, but this man is getting their trash and who calls 911 for garbage trucks picking up too early?

Old 03-09-2015, 02:16 PM

Sanitation Strike. Seriously. All of the Contractors should just pull out for a few weeks, because they don't want to risk any more of their garbage men going to jail, while going through the normal routine of business. That would probably never happen though.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:24 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,018,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post

A Sandy Springs sanitation worker said he was taken to jail for picking up trash too early in the morning, a violation of the Georgia city’s ordinance.

Kevin McGill will spend the next 14 weekends in jail because he picked up trash minutes after 5 a.m. one morning—an offense worthy of automatic jail time, according to the city solicitor.

Chief prosecutor Bill Riley said picking up waste too early in the morning has been a recurring problem no matter what approach is taken to limit the issue. He asked the judge to sentence McGill to 30 days in jail.

Riley told WSB-TV he’s exhausted all other options.

“Fines don’t seem to work,” Riley said. “The only thing that seems to stop the activity is actually going to jail.”

Riley says 911 lights up when trash haulers come before 7 a.m.

McGill, who didn’t have an attorney with him when he was sentenced, is serving his time on the weekend. His new attorney wonders why he’s being punished.

“Give him a warning,” attorney Kimberly Bandoh said. “I mean he’s the employee. He’s not the employer. Sentencing him to jail is doing what?”

McGill opted to serve his time on the weekends, spreading the sentence out over more than three months. McGill said he just wants to get back with his wife, two sons and four dogs.

Garbage man sent to jail for picking up trash too early | Atlanta
Maybe the city should focus more on cutting down it's soon-to-be-bloated-pension exposure and typical BS from city workers before going "aggressively" at this guy? Public Service workers should be seen and definitely not heard. Many, many folks pay your salaries and a pension that will never go away and only escalate in cost over time.

Spend time on issues that matter, not jailing some poor guy trying to do his job. Frankly, 6:00 would be fine. Let them get a jump on things. The employer is probably trying to make his numbers work and by starting early, they can get a LOT done before traffic is abysmal. He's probably doing this to offset the thin margin deal you have struck with him. No matter, the worker is not at fault. Drop the charges, clear his name, and go back to doing something positive like getting all your workers off their a$$es and out in the community making sure things work correctly, canning illegals, working traffic, and promoting more HQ business. That's something you can help with. Sooner or later, someone has to pay your pensions. Not this guy.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:27 PM

2,373 posts, read 2,832,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
That was less than a minute of noise. And it really wasn't even that bad. What do you do when a police siren or a firetruck or a train goes by? If you want no standard city noises, you need to move to the Country and haul your own trash to the dump. It's not like it's 30 minutes of jackhammering at 5am. Or chainsaws.
A garbage truck isn't an emergency vehicle.

This is during the day, at 100 yards, with a lot of background noise. At night when it's quiet it's a lot louder and if your house is close enough to the truck the dumpster banging on the top of the truck can sound like someone kicking your door down when it wakes you up out of a dead sleep.

I've lived in cities my entire life. There are rules for a reason. If you can't follow the rules you need to move to the country where there are none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or