U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 2,187 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I just got picked up for an airline job in Atlanta. I am looking to move in on the 19th or 20th. I am wondering what areas or complexes the community suggests.
1. Budget 500 to 510
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Don't care.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) I will be commuting to Hartsfield daily.
4. Children None
5. Suburban or Urban. Either or. Just looking for clean, safe, maintained, and safe. Commute is not a problem. I drive trucks now...a 30 to 45min commute is nothing!
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? If I have quickish access to the rail line, I will use it occasionally. Not a deal breaker if I don't.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Is safe a demographic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 11:53 AM

9,007 posts, read 16,157,460 times
3. Just so you know I think the City (Atlanta) just passed a law requiring everyone to Call it:

Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport Not just Hartsfield....

Old 03-08-2015, 12:10 PM

4,647 posts, read 3,023,428 times
Hopefully, your budget is with a roommate.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:21 PM

1,686 posts, read 1,674,231 times
Is that 500/month to rent or 500k to purchase?

Old 03-08-2015, 12:33 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,537,267 times
You can find an apartment for that amount but it's not going to be in the safest area

Old 03-08-2015, 01:05 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,702,520 times
East Point, College park or Hapeville are your best bet. East Point and College park are on the rail line, Hapeville isn't, but the airport is pretty much within walking distance. The kicker though is your monthly rent budget. There is not much in SAFE housing in that price range. The neighborhood might be safe if it is a rental house, but definitely not if it is a townhome or apartment complex.

Actually I do know of one house that is in a safe neighborhood that typically rents at that level. It's not the best house at all, and there has been difficulty with the owner keeping good tenants in there, but that is based on her renter choices and her pricepoint. She is currently fixing it up though, so it might be a possibility. Message me if you want to give it a shot, and I will see if I can contact her.

If you are a flight attendant or pilot, there are "crashpads" sprinkled through those cities, which basically consist of a room and bathroom access - but folks who open their home to crashpads, typically won't accept other types of airport employees.

What I would suggest is asking your company if they have any kind of employee networking site or group. That's the best for finding residential in your pricerange or a roommate situation that has a similar lifestyle.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,187 times
I was starting to notice the 500 a month wasn't going to put me in the safest areas. I think I can do up to 600 a month.

I'm not a pilot or FA so crashpads are out and I have been considering a room mate or sublease, but after factoring in storage for my collective crap, I end up spending more than just an apartment.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:58 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,702,520 times
FYI - found this webpage today. Some of the listings are more flexible:

https://www.mycrewguide.com/commuters.php?disp=10

Old 03-20-2015, 04:26 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,912,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
3. Just so you know I think the City (Atlanta) just passed a law requiring everyone to Call it:

Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport Not just Hartsfield....
He's in the industry. It's ATL. And no, IATA doesn't allow "The" prefixes.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:21 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,258,816 times
I suggest the Forest Park area for a rental home (not apartment!) There are many cute cozy little mid-century ranches available for reasonable prices. The community is diverse with a large Hispanic component, and the neighborhoods are safe and quiet, especially away from the apartment complexes along Jonesboro road and Old Dixie. If you do not have a car, there is bus service to the East Point MARTA station two stops north of the airport. To be close to the bus line, I would recommend somewhere off the northern ends of Ash Street or Phillips Drive right before they cross Forest Parkway into downtown Forest Park, or on one of the cozy streets off of North Avenue just north of Forest Park's downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or