U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 04:51 PM

2,483 posts, read 1,603,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I wonder if doing this would increase the black percentage of the city again and the chances of a white mayor decreases for another 2-3 decades.
It will, but these upper middle and upper class black households want to be a part of the City of Atlanta. Most of the areas already have an Atlanta mailing address, so I assume they want to be actual residents of the city proper, and if that shifts the political equation then so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 08:04 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,650,979 times
FYI.... The South Fulton NOW Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/southfultonnow) provides some insightful details about the 'southwest expansion' plans.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:23 AM

That Facebook page is not insightful about the annexation proposal. The page creator clearly has an agenda to spread propaganda so they can form a municipality without a sustainable tax base revenue aside from industrial warehouses and taxing the hell out of the existing residential property owners. Most residents north of Camp Creek Parkway have already express their interest to become a part of Atlanta. If those in Clifftondale want to go on their own then they can go for it. However, we are better off becoming apart of the City of Atlanta, East Point, Union City, or Fairburn at the end of the day because all this is going to do be a ploy for a handful of people to guarantee government jobs for themselves and their friends...

Last edited by jero23; 03-14-2015 at 09:35 AM..

Old 03-14-2015, 09:58 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,650,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
That Facebook page is not insightful about the annexation proposal. The page creator clearly has an agenda to spread propaganda so they can form a municipality without a sustainable tax base revenue aside from industrial warehouses and taxing the hell out of the existing residential property owners. Most residents north of Camp Creek Parkway have already express their interest to become a part of Atlanta. If those in Clifftondale want to go on their own then they can go for it. However, we are better off becoming apart of the City of Atlanta, East Point, Union City, or Fairburn at the end of the day because all this is going to do be a ploy for a handful of people to guarantee government jobs for themselves and their friends...
Apologies...wasn't trying to promote the page owner's agenda. I just thought this was at least providing more details about the expansion than what has been printed in the media.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:36 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,016,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
Apologies...wasn't trying to promote the page owner's agenda. I just thought this was at least providing more details about the expansion than what has been printed in the media.
Thanks for posting it, best map I've found for sure.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:59 PM

13,452 posts, read 21,922,689 times
It may seem small, but I think if the proposed City of South Fulton changed its name, all parties would be more receptive.

How about the City of Campbellton or the City of Campbell?

Has historical significance...

Old 03-14-2015, 03:01 PM

13,452 posts, read 21,922,689 times
Campbellton, Georgia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbellton,_Georgia

Campbell County, Georgia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_County,_Georgia

Old 03-15-2015, 07:53 PM

1,954 posts, read 1,437,689 times
I like Campbellton; it was the county seat of Old Campbell County before the railroad passed it up in favor of Fairburn. I really love rural/ semi-rural South Fulton and find Cliftondale charming. Maybe there should be several smaller cities instead: Cliftondale, Campbellton, Red Oak, etc.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:08 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,016,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I like Campbellton; it was the county seat of Old Campbell County before the railroad passed it up in favor of Fairburn. I really love rural/ semi-rural South Fulton and find Cliftondale charming. Maybe there should be several smaller cities instead: Cliftondale, Campbellton, Red Oak, etc.
I'm not sure there is much of Red Oak that isn't already part of College Park, Union City or East Point. Another historic name I like is Stonewall, but I think Union City has taken most of that area as well. Rico is another historic name but that is now Chattahoochee Hills.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:07 AM

The more you learn the more you know there is just the vocal opposition in the minority to this move in South Fulton have an agenda. I've even heard the opposition talking about taxes going up, but the same thing is going to occur with this made-up, play pretend municipality as well. Even State Senator Vincent Fort has said this is just a bad idea, period. This is getting silly and somebody that's not for the community good rather to help out their friends and guarantee certain people a job or contract. I would start naming their names, but it's obvious who they are...

Last edited by jero23; 03-17-2015 at 07:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or