U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:52 AM

9,907 posts, read 6,897,659 times

Advertisements

City of Atlanta Proposing Major Southwest Expansion to Legislature | Atlanta Progressive News

Quote:
The City of Atlanta’s lobbyists at the Georgia Legislature last week circulated a map proposing a major expansion of the southwest quadrant of the city further to the west, through the annexation of a significant portion of unincorporated south Fulton County.

While the City had been previously exploring annexation of the Sandtown and Loch Lomond communities, as previously reported by Atlanta Progressive News, the new map is much more expansive.

The newly proposed map–a copy of which has been obtained by Atlanta Progressive News–includes Sandtown, Loch Lomond, West Cascade, the area by Westlake, as well as a large portion of Fulton Industrial Boulevard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:09 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,344,862 times
I don't see it happening with the Fulton Industrial business being difficult along with Fulton County Schools being difficult.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:50 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,420,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I don't see it happening with the Fulton Industrial business being difficult along with Fulton County Schools being difficult.
Actually, Fulton County Schools wouldn't have any real say in this at all. The majority of the residents in these areas are pushing hard for their inclusion via annexation into the City of Atlanta. There has been feasibility studies of this area particularly Sandtown been in the works for months now. The residents of the Sandtown and West Fulton area are requesting this move, and now state legislators are echoing these sentiments.

Anyways, (State Rep.) Bruce and James just want to help out their buddies but these isn't enough support to amongst the majority of residents to create another municipality. If the people these areas want into Atlanta then it will happen.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:51 AM

9,907 posts, read 6,897,659 times
Quote:
But neither of those get a vote. Only residents do. Given that it sounds like they were considering doing a 60% write-in annexation method, there must be decent support. Plus I think CoA pulls more weight than Fulton's leadership does at the state level right now.

Personally I am somewhat in-different. It basically comes down to if it is tax-revenue positive or not. I also think all of Fulton needs to be incorporated. But if I lived there I would vote to be annexed though. I'd much rather place my bets with CoA than South Fulton.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:58 AM

4,997 posts, read 3,476,872 times
This should've been done years ago, especially with the Fulton Industrial corridor.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
This should've been done years ago, especially with the Fulton Industrial corridor.
Exactly, there is basically no difference between the unincorporated areas and the City of Atlanta in this area of focus aside from the emblems on street signs.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:46 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,344,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Actually, Fulton County Schools wouldn't have any real say in this at all. The majority of the residents in these areas are pushing hard for their inclusion via annexation into the City of Atlanta. There has been feasibility studies of this area particularly Sandtown been in the works for months now. The residents of the Sandtown and West Fulton area are requesting this move, and now state legislators are echoing these sentiments.

Anyways, (State Rep.) Bruce and James just want to help out their buddies but these isn't enough support to amongst the majority of residents to create another municipality. If the people these areas want into Atlanta then it will happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
But neither of those get a vote. Only residents do. Given that it sounds like they were considering doing a 60% write-in annexation method, there must be decent support. Plus I think CoA pulls more weight than Fulton's leadership does at the state level right now.

Personally I am somewhat in-different. It basically comes down to if it is tax-revenue positive or not. I also think all of Fulton needs to be incorporated. But if I lived there I would vote to be annexed though. I'd much rather place my bets with CoA than South Fulton.

Ahh, ok, although it doesn't sound like they have ENOUGH support from the residents, which is why the city is going another route. So would FCSS be forced to hand over the schools or is there a possibility that they won't and the students would go elsewhere?

This should have been done already, especially since it would probably add to the city's tax base. There's a lot of industry out there. Can't wait to see what the numbers would look like as far as taxes are concerned.

Last edited by alco89; 03-09-2015 at 10:03 AM..

Old 03-09-2015, 09:50 AM
bu2

8,969 posts, read 5,665,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
It looks like a logical annexation. They need to encourage Fairburn, Union City and Palmetto to clean up their borders. That looks like a mess on that smaller map in the article. Kind of like spilled paint.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Ahh, ok. So would FCSS be forced to hand over the schools or is there a possibility that they won't and the students would go elsewhere?

This should have been done already, especially since it would probably add to the city's tax base. There's a lot of industry out there. Can't wait to see what the numbers would look like as far as taxes are concerned.
They can choose to keep those schools, but the attendance of these schools will drop significantly then they will be forced to close because of low enrollment because I highly doubt anyone will want to be bused to schools in other portions far away in the county because the Fulton County Board of Education has an axe to grind. At the end of the day, the voice of the citizens and residents will win out, so Fulton County Schools can do whatever they want to do.

On the other portion, the City of Atlanta should been annexing like crazy decades ago, but what is done is done and if the people in these areas want into Atlanta now then they will get their way.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:17 AM

446 posts, read 505,485 times
Fulton Ind and Westlake wouldn't mind being in the actual city limits and sandtown and west cascade also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or