U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 12:17 PM

29,264 posts, read 26,193,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
They did this last summer and it caused a slew of headaches. They received enough complaints about overcrowding to revert back to 6 cars. This only works if headways are 7 minutes on red/gold lines. I'm all for it, but I don't think the ridership is there yet.
Thanks, that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 07:50 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,265,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The plan is to extend the green line to stonecrest mall, extend the bankhead station to accommodate 6 car length trains.
Really? Source?

Old 04-18-2015, 07:57 PM

5,255 posts, read 4,006,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Really? Source?
It's in the I-20 East Plans. Unfortunately I'm not quite sure the ones posted online go into that level of detail, but at one of the public meetings, I asked and verified that Bankhead would be expanded. But it's silly to think they would run 2-car trains all the way to Stonecrest.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:50 PM

5,554 posts, read 3,024,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
It's in the I-20 East Plans. Unfortunately I'm not quite sure the ones posted online go into that level of detail, but at one of the public meetings, I asked and verified that Bankhead would be expanded. But it's silly to think they would run 2-car trains all the way to Stonecrest.
I thought the I-20 East Plans extended the Blue Line, or are they keeping the current Blue Line and making the extension all Green trains? That'd be kinda nice actually, give Green trains somewhere more to go.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:59 PM

3,517 posts, read 3,053,785 times
Do you guys think express trains would work on MARTA? For example, an airport red line express train going north would only stop at College Park, Five Points, Peachtree Center, Midtown, Lindbergh, Buckhead, Sandy Springs, and North Springs. This would reduce the time for airport commuters, and the idea can also be used for other routes.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:06 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Do you guys think express trains would work on MARTA? For example, an airport red line express train going north would only stop at College Park, Five Points, Peachtree Center, Midtown, Lindbergh, Buckhead, Sandy Springs, and North Springs. This would reduce the time for airport commuters, and the idea can also be used for other routes.
Maybe, but an express train wouldn't need to stop at the first station (College Park) or at stations too close together (Peachtree Center and Five Points). Then Midtown, Lindbergh, Buckhead and the rest should be fine.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:21 PM

3,517 posts, read 3,053,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Maybe, but an express train wouldn't need to stop at the first station (College Park) or at stations too close together (Peachtree Center and Five Points). Then Midtown, Lindbergh, Buckhead and the rest should be fine.
I included College Park because of parking, but I can understand with them being too close.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:25 PM

5,255 posts, read 4,006,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I thought the I-20 East Plans extended the Blue Line, or are they keeping the current Blue Line and making the extension all Green trains? That'd be kinda nice actually, give Green trains somewhere more to go.
The plan all along is to extend the physical tracks from Indian Creek which of course right now is the Blue line. But then the service will consist of the Green Line extended from Candler Park to Stonecrest except that Green Line trains will make all stops Stonecrest to Indian Creek, then only Kensington, Decatur, then all stations Georgia State to Bankhead, essentially becoming an express service on the existing E/W line (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It sounds nice, but the issue is MARTA only has two tracks to work with, and you're talking about a third service on top of the Red/Gold line essentially. So while it would certainly be nice, I don't think it will happen on the N/S service. If Atlanta ever gets a dedicated transit funding source, I wouldn't mind if some of that were used to build two more tracks through the core even if it was just Five Points to Arts Center, though I'm not sure it is worth having the express trains skip any of the core stations. What I would really do first however, assuming the Red Line extension is built, is to run the trains express from North Springs to Lindbergh, then all stops to at least Five Points and either transfer to a local for airport service, or continue with the local traffic to the airport, though it may need a third track to handle all the terminating trains.

That's not to say you can't have express service with just two tracks however, SEPTA's Norristown High Speed Line runs three classes of service (Local/Limited/Express) on only two tracks. It just requires careful timing, basically launching an express just ahead of a local and timing the express to only "catch up" with the local in front of it. I know MARTA was confident it could be done with the 15 minute headways, but I don't know if it is still possible with the 10/12 minute headways.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:34 PM

5,554 posts, read 3,024,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The plan all along is to extend the physical tracks from Indian Creek which of course right now is the Blue line. But then the service will consist of the Green Line extended from Candler Park to Stonecrest except that Green Line trains will make all stops Stonecrest to Indian Creek, then only Kensington, Decatur, then all stations Georgia State to Bankhead, essentially becoming an express service on the existing E/W line (see below).

It sounds nice, but the issue is MARTA only has two tracks to work with, and you're talking about a third service on top of the Red/Gold line essentially. So while it would certainly be nice, I don't think it will happen on the N/S service. If Atlanta ever gets a dedicated transit funding source, I wouldn't mind if some of that were used to build two more tracks through the core even if it was just Five Points to Arts Center, though I'm not sure it is worth having the express trains skip any of the core stations. What I would really do first however, assuming the Red Line extension is built, is to run the trains express from North Springs to Lindbergh, then all stops to at least Five Points and either transfer to a local for airport service, or continue with the local traffic to the airport, though it may need a third track to handle all the terminating trains.

That's not to say you can't have express service with just two tracks however, SEPTA's Norristown High Speed Line runs three classes of service (Local/Limited/Express) on only two tracks. It just requires careful timing, basically launching an express just ahead of a local and timing the express to only "catch up" with the local in front of it. I know MARTA was confident it could be done with the 15 minute headways, but I don't know if it is still possible with the 10/12 minute headways.
Good to know about the green/blue lines. It would be nice to have have 4 tracks for a variaty of resons, but the cost of re tunneling, platforms, and flyways would be insane for that.

In other news, this popped up on the subreddit: Practical Strategies for Increasing Mobility in Atlanta

While it is a very comprehensive road and bus plan, it activly disuades from rail expansion. Any thoughts?

Old 04-19-2015, 01:49 PM

1,061 posts, read 918,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
They can add me in 2 weeks once I move and buy my monthly Marta pasd
Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or