U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:55 AM

22,167 posts, read 16,173,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
cq, think about it.

If half the city of Atlanta was millennials -- which it obviously isn't -- that's only about 220,000.

That's less than 5% of the ATL as a whole. If even 20% of the rest of the metro area is millenials, that's over four times as many.
With CoA only comprising 5% of the total land area, it's kind of unfair to compare the majority of the land to the city. People will live where they want to live or move to be closer to work, but if you find a community that you truly love, it makes commuting worth it because we should work to live, not the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 07:11 AM

14,423 posts, read 7,107,253 times
But to the OP, it depends on your budget where you can move closer in. I would recommend, if you are going to move to Alpharetta that you find somewhere closer to the MARTA stations in Alpharetta and use MARTA for your commute. I would also suggest City of Decatur due to convenience of MARTA as well. I would also suggest you look in the city. It is not as crime ridden and horrible as you may think and there are great schools in the City of Atlanta.

I sent my kid to a charter school after moving to the city - Kindezi. They are a great school and are opening up another location in Old 4th Ward next year and APS has some good schools in various intown neighborhoods. I personally wouldn't trade time with my kids for the mythical "good schools." Kids are little for a very short amount of time. My son who was 4 when we moved is now 13 and is taller than I am and it is shocking how quickly time went by. Even though he didn't go to 9-10 rated schools in GA (he also went to a APS traditional public school from Pre-K-2nd grade) when we moved to Ohio he was ahead of all the nerdy kids in his grade at his STEM high school (high school here is 7-12th grade) and has fit in well with the new school even though a large amount of those kids came from private schools and high performing suburban districts.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 AM

445 posts, read 356,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
If you think that's all is in the suburbs, you are sorely mistaken. I, for one, avoid big box stores other than Publix like the plague. It's surprisingly easy to do.
To be fair though, from your description of where you live (walking distance to downtown Marietta), you don't really live in "the suburbs." You live in a small town with lots of cool little local shops and restaurants, that happens to share a postal designation with some more sprawly-type areas.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:19 AM

28,139 posts, read 24,671,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
If you think that's all is in the suburbs, you are sorely mistaken. I, for one, avoid big box stores other than Publix like the plague. It's surprisingly easy to do.
There are plenty of big box stores intown with more on the way. People fuss about them but in general they are very popular.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7752...Y86_KLbObQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7587...iIfKiVh5aw!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wa...c7397852977e0a

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8342...bw!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7225...YA!2e0!6m1!1e1

Old 03-10-2015, 08:19 AM

1,062 posts, read 690,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
To be fair though, from your description of where you live (walking distance to downtown Marietta), you don't really live in "the suburbs." You live in a small town with lots of cool little local shops and restaurants, that happens to share a postal designation with some more sprawly-type areas.
Yes, that's fair. We deliberately avoided the cul-de-sac style suburbs. I didn't grow up in that kind of environment and it's never really appealed to me. I grew up near downtown in a city with about half the population of ATL proper, in a metro area also about half the size of ATL's, and it was great; now, the downtown of that city is even nicer, several times over. Ideally, that's what I'd like here as well, but I preferred a bit smaller over a bit larger, which is one reason we ended up in Marietta.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:31 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,491,317 times
I just had the funniest mental image of the OP coming back to this thread, getting excited to see 4 pages of recommendations, then realizing it's just people bitching at each other about their definition of what a city is and what constitutes a neighborhood and all this other bull****. Sometimes you guys could just leave a thread alone or stick to the actual topic...

Old 03-10-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I just had the funniest mental image of the OP coming back to this thread, getting excited to see 4 pages of recommendations, then realizing it's just people bitching at each other about their definition of what a city is and what constitutes a neighborhood and all this other bull****. Sometimes you guys could just leave a thread alone or stick to the actual topic...
That's like a majority of threads here. At least it didn't devolve into a streetcar or Braves thread. It would be helpful if the OP gave his budget, though, or did I miss it?

Old 03-10-2015, 09:03 AM

1,841 posts, read 1,257,242 times
Intown and more affordable would be Candler Park/ Lake Claire. Excellent elementary school (Mary Lin) Inman Middle School and Grady High School are also among the best in Atlanta Public Schools. You really could afford a house in one of the above mentioned neighborhoods for what you would pay in North Fulton. The trade off would be a smaller and older house. Dunwoody and the Lakeside High School district in Dekalb also come to mind. The Northlake area has nice mid-century homes and some of the best schools in Dekalb for North Fulton prices, but again smaller, older homes.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Intown and more affordable would be Candler Park/ Lake Claire. Excellent elementary school (Mary Lin) Inman Middle School and Grady High School are also among the best in Atlanta Public Schools. You really could afford a house in one of the above mentioned neighborhoods for what you would pay in North Fulton.
I don't know about applying the word "affordable" to CP/LC. $375K gets you this in Alpharetta in the Chattahoochee cluster:

350 Creekside Dr, Alpharetta, GA 30022 is For Sale | Zillow

It gets you this (or a DeKalb Ave. condo) in Candler Park:

309 Ferguson St NE, Atlanta, GA 30307 is For Sale | Zillow

And that was about the cheapest house in either neighborhood. And I'm guessing there might be something wrong with it because that seems a little low to me. I think the OP needs to give his budget for more help.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:12 AM

9,916 posts, read 6,906,853 times
The only thing you have to trade off for moving closer into the city is sq ft.

But if you still "need" 5 beds and 4 baths for your family of 3 then you will have to make other sacrifices to move into the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or