U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 11:31 AM

458 posts, read 355,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I just had the funniest mental image of the OP coming back to this thread, getting excited to see 4 pages of recommendations, then realizing it's just people bitching at each other about their definition of what a city is and what constitutes a neighborhood and all this other bull****. Sometimes you guys could just leave a thread alone or stick to the actual topic...
Oh sure. Why don't you ask for peace in the Middle East while you're at it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 11:53 AM

7,688 posts, read 9,530,024 times
Quote:
The only thing you have to trade off for moving closer into the city is sq ft.
This isn't exactly true, but it's close enough, so we'll go with it.

The problem here is that the trade off is huge. It's not just giving up 100 square feet here or there, you have to give up A LOT of square feet. Sometimes as much as 50% or even more.

If we're talking about going from 5000 square feet to 2500, maybe that's not such a big deal.

But look at the example above. If you've got two busy kids, the difference between 3163 square feet and 1441 is a lot. In fact, it's life changing.

So you can sit there and say, "the only thing you have to give up is square feet!" But that's like taking away a kids PS4 game and giving them an Atari 2600 game and saying, "the only thing you had to give up was graphics!"

Old 03-10-2015, 12:02 PM

20 posts, read 17,983 times
I live in West Roswell (halfway between downtown Roswell and Mountain Park). Love it. Great public schools, affordable housing (especially if you are willing to get into a slightly used home , and just 3 miles from 400. Great parks, children's services, and fun restaurants and shopping.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:06 PM

9,555 posts, read 8,619,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The only thing you have to trade off for moving closer into the city is sq ft.

But if you still "need" 5 beds and 4 baths for your family of 3 then you will have to make other sacrifices to move into the city.
I would add:

1. Higher property taxes.
2. Higher cost of insurance.
3. Lower quality city provided services.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:17 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,894,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I would add:

1. Higher property taxes.
2. Higher cost of insurance.
3. Lower quality city provided services.
1. Tax rates vary. CoA is a good deal for what they provide. Granted, Fulton is not.
2 & 3. Not necessarily, for example I believe Atlanta Fire Rescue moved up to being rated ISO class 1, which only few municipalities in the world are, that brings you lower insurance and is one example of better services.

But even still, all those things you can pay for by the savings you get from having less sq ft, so I do not recognize those as additional trade offs.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
This isn't exactly true, but it's close enough, so we'll go with it.

The problem here is that the trade off is huge. It's not just giving up 100 square feet here or there, you have to give up A LOT of square feet. Sometimes as much as 50% or even more.

If we're talking about going from 5000 square feet to 2500, maybe that's not such a big deal.

But look at the example above. If you've got two busy kids, the difference between 3163 square feet and 1441 is a lot. In fact, it's life changing.

So you can sit there and say, "the only thing you have to give up is square feet!" But that's like taking away a kids PS4 game and giving them an Atari 2600 game and saying, "the only thing you had to give up was graphics!"
Might not be as bad as you expect. My mother was one of seven kids in a 1400 sq ft house. They grew up just fine. And yeah, if my kids are ever lucky enough to be given an Atari, they better not start complaining that it is not a PS4.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:38 PM

14,376 posts, read 7,092,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathrowga View Post
I live in West Roswell (halfway between downtown Roswell and Mountain Park). Love it. Great public schools, affordable housing (especially if you are willing to get into a slightly used home , and just 3 miles from 400. Great parks, children's services, and fun restaurants and shopping.
I was thinking Roswell would be a good location as well.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:39 PM

19 posts, read 37,685 times
Nice feedback so far (for the most part). I figured this thread would end up going off topic some but that is to be expected. Our budget is around $350k. I love the energy in Brookhaven right now, but as others discussed in comments above, I don't know if we can go from our 3,000 sq. ft. house into something half that size (first world problem I know). Not to mention our current house was built in 2013 and has a lot of nice finishes (as compared to homes in our price range in town that are older and in need of upgrading). I feel like a closer in suburb within 20 miles of downtown is a good compromise. Our current house is nearly 40 miles away so I know the commute time would be drastically reduced, even if it was still between 30 minutes to an hour one way. The problem I am having is knowing whether or not there are a lot of other families in their 20s-30s that are moving to the closer in suburbs like East Cobb. Obviously that area is full of mostly older families now but I have to assume that will change in the next few years as baby boomers retire and move away and millenials start having families.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:49 PM

445 posts, read 356,340 times
1,400 is plenty big for four people. Source: average Americans through 1970.

My point--which I didn't really make anywhere in my post--was that in some neighborhoods the cheapest houses are pretty expensive, and just because someone lives in Forsyth or North Fulton doesn't necessarily mean they can buy anything in Lake Claire or Candler Park. You can actually buy a house in a "good school" zone in Johns Creek for $220K. When's the last time someone could do that in Lake Claire or Candler Park? When's the last time you could do that in Kirkwood?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
When's the last time someone could do that in Lake Claire or Candler Park? When's the last time you could do that in Kirkwood?
Just did a quick search on Zillow. Got 93 results in Candler Park for Recent Sales less than $200K. Granted looks like many are condos. But there are some homes in there too. And of course I don't think any of those homes are more than 1,400 sq ft or recently remolded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or