U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:41 PM

28,150 posts, read 24,687,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
consequently baby boomers view us as being immoral and having no desire to "grow up".
I don't consider y'all immoral, I just don't understand the obsession with 24 hour party districts and the aversion to basic lawn care.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 09:51 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,502,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't consider y'all immoral, I just don't understand the obsession with 24 hour party districts and the aversion to basic lawn care.

Basic is the key word. No problem with doing that. Just not dumping hundreds of bucks on a lawn.

And everyone loves a good party.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:20 AM

3,967 posts, read 4,563,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

would you rather be partying or mowing your lawn? both are undeniably a waste of time, but one doesn't suck.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:44 AM

22,178 posts, read 16,186,764 times
Quote:
while i agree that there's no "hard" cutoff date, there are cusp years to each generation. putting the first date at 1980 implies to me that someone born as early as 1975 might be considered a millennial. that's why i was arguing for the later date.

as silly as it might seem, there are real life implications to the definitions of generations. look at the baby boomers for example: most were born from WWII veterans, they were the first generation to have TV in their childhoods, and they developed their political leanings from their surroundings as they grew up; as a result, many of the baby boomer generation are more socially conservative, value the nuclear family as a cornerstone of american life, and as the first generation to grow up with suburbs and cars, value their own personal independence a great deal.

while not all baby boomers fit this description, there is not another generation that could be described as having these same tendencies, and it is important to keep track of these sorts of things as the baby boomers now have a great deal of political clout in decisionmaking, and it's important to understand the background that they're coming from.

millennials are quite different. most of us are the children of the baby boomers, were the first ones to have the internet in our childhoods, and we developed our political leanings based on our very different surroundings as we were growing up. as a result, many of us are extremely wary of established traditions such as political parties and religions; this does not mean that we don't have political and religious beliefs, but when we were growing up we were told an idealized history of america and given a strong moral background. when we grew up and began doing research ourselves on the internet, we discovered that the world we thought was fair is incredibly unfair. as a result, we value sticking together and interdependence on each other, speaking up when something wrong is occurring, and value traditions and independence much less than the baby boomers.

consequently baby boomers view us as being immoral and having no desire to "grow up".

my problem with incorporating someone who was born as early as 1980 or 1975 had probably established their political leanings by the time they were teenagers, and did not have the same experience as we millennials did. once again, not all of us meet this description, but it is generally the overarching theme of our generation and i don't think there is another that would meet this description.
And we are the largest generation, watch out everyone as we change the world.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:13 AM

4,997 posts, read 3,484,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And we are the largest generation, watch out everyone as we change the world.
Said every generation ever.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:38 AM

1,841 posts, read 1,258,816 times
Gulch seems to have a great deal of wisdom, dealt out with humor. I like him/her!

Old 03-17-2015, 07:45 AM

14,461 posts, read 7,116,932 times
Quote:
while i agree that there's no "hard" cutoff date, there are cusp years to each generation. putting the first date at 1980 implies to me that someone born as early as 1975 might be considered a millennial. that's why i was arguing for the later date.

as silly as it might seem, there are real life implications to the definitions of generations. look at the baby boomers for example: most were born from WWII veterans, they were the first generation to have TV in their childhoods, and they developed their political leanings from their surroundings as they grew up; as a result, many of the baby boomer generation are more socially conservative, value the nuclear family as a cornerstone of american life, and as the first generation to grow up with suburbs and cars, value their own personal independence a great deal.

while not all baby boomers fit this description, there is not another generation that could be described as having these same tendencies, and it is important to keep track of these sorts of things as the baby boomers now have a great deal of political clout in decisionmaking, and it's important to understand the background that they're coming from.

millennials are quite different. most of us are the children of the baby boomers, were the first ones to have the internet in our childhoods, and we developed our political leanings based on our very different surroundings as we were growing up. as a result, many of us are extremely wary of established traditions such as political parties and religions; this does not mean that we don't have political and religious beliefs, but when we were growing up we were told an idealized history of america and given a strong moral background. when we grew up and began doing research ourselves on the internet, we discovered that the world we thought was fair is incredibly unfair. as a result, we value sticking together and interdependence on each other, speaking up when something wrong is occurring, and value traditions and independence much less than the baby boomers.

my problem with incorporating someone who was born as early as 1980 or 1975 had probably established their political leanings by the time they were teenagers, and did not have the same experience as we millennials did. once again, not all of us meet this description, but it is generally the overarching theme of our generation and i don't think there is another that would meet this description.
Sorry but I had to lol at this. I am considered a "cusp" in regards to generations being born in 1979. I had the internet. My parents are boomers. But I don't consider myself a millenial. I am Gen X and I feel we are more in between versus millenials. For instance, I am not all 'into" techy sort of things. I don't have to have a phone in my hand/face every minute of the day like my millenial younger brothers. I grew up playing outside not in front of video games. We got a nintendo around 1989 - 1990 but I mostly grew up outside in the fresh air, walking around and bicycling by myself. I didn't get trophies for "participation" and I was influenced politically mostly by my family before going off to college and making my own choices.

And fwiw , I don't think most boomers have always been socially conservative. Boomers are the generati on that spawned Civil Rights and the student movements and the environmental movements and they were hippies and extremely liberal in their youth. Most people are more liberal when they are younger and get more conservative as they get older.

And I don't think that my generation is the best nor the boomers nor millenials. Everyone has their own time in the grand scheme of thing but the things you mentioned are not unique to millenials. I went to high school with people born in 1975-76 and we had similar childhoods/experiences and had our hand more in the non-tech world versus the millenials more often and I like that I have a balance in that respect and don't think millenials are special due to the fancy name (and fwiw, when I was younger you were Gen-Y).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or