U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:08 PM

5,824 posts, read 4,582,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The mayor of Johns Creek is pitching a plan to transform 728 acres centered around Technology Park into a new downtown he calls "The District."
"My proposal to the citizens is that we're going to study this area and look to redevelop it over time as a densely urban walkable community that is live, work, play, that is every bit as world class as any other downtown of any other major city that you might see," says Johns Creek Mayor Mike Bodker, who spoke to Johns Creek residents about his proposal in his annual state of the city speech on March 6.
"It is ambitious," Bodker says. "It is the largest sort of redevelopment that's probably been undertaken in metro Atlanta."
The driving force behind the new master plan is that the city is largely residential: 81 percent of its tax base is residential and 19 percent is commercial. "And that's really not sustainable financially for the long term if we are going to continue to improve services and make the significant infrastructure investments that need to be made as the city's infrastructure ages, and even to catch up from the years of neglect in the years prior to us becoming a city, we need more financial resources," Bodker says. "And the way that we can get those without asking our residents to pay more is to diversify our tax digest."
Johns Creek mayor pitches 728-acre redevelopment called 'The District' - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 02:26 PM

9,933 posts, read 6,939,290 times
Very interesting. I think these "downtowns" are a good thing for these new cities.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:27 PM
bUU

11,695 posts, read 8,198,453 times
Alpharetta got one. Roswell's getting one. So John's Creek wants one.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:36 PM

561 posts, read 801,560 times
Nice.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:52 PM

9,933 posts, read 6,939,290 times
Reading his statements, sounds like the mayor has some really big aspirations for this:

Quote:

First we have to stop comparing ourselves to local communities and instead think places like downtown Montreal. If that sounds like an exaggeration, consider this - Montreal is 698 acres. The District encompasses 728 acres.

Here’s another example of the scale we’re working toward. Downtown Charlotte is 255 acres. You could put three downtown Charlottes within The District.

Let’s not stop there. The Paris business district is 452 acres. The District is nearly twice that size.

That’s the scale we’re talking about here in order to make the kind of impact we need.

I will be interested to see if they get developers on board with something this big.

Also, where exactly is "Technology Park" in John's Creek? I don't see anything on the map that indicates it.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:27 PM

7,713 posts, read 9,577,479 times
This is a good idea.

The intersection of 141 and McGinnis Ferry is already a hotbed of retail activity, but combining all of Johns Creek's resources into a single district like this and making it live/work/play is a nice idea. Like arjay always says of Brookhaven, there are some pretty smart folks that live in Johns Creek, and you can bet that they're going to do whatever it takes to make their community desirable.

The only thing I would say that really needs to be done in advance of this is to expand 120 to a 4 lane road all the way through to Peachtree Industrial. No doubt this development would impact traffic, and 120 already gets really backed up. It needs to be 4 lanes, as it is one of only a few ways over the river into Johns Creek. I think it's the only one that is still only 2 lanes wide.

I'm not sure if this development would back all the way up to Bell Road to the east, but if it did, the plans to turn Rogers Bridge into a biker/pedestrian bridge could help with walkability and bike access as well.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:28 PM

561 posts, read 801,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Reading his statements, sounds like the mayor has some really big aspirations for this:

I will be interested to see if they get developers on board with something this big.

Also, where exactly is "Technology Park" in John's Creek? I don't see anything on the map that indicates it.
Wow. That does put it into perspective. The size of this downtown will be on par with Los Angeles and Boston. I'm hoping for some nice density to go along with it.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:32 PM

1,144 posts, read 887,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I think its the area on the Fulton County side of McGinnis Ferry at the intersection of 141. Checking a map, BTW, Johns Creek city limits stop at the county line.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:40 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,497,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
Wow. That does put it into perspective. The size of this downtown will be on par with Los Angeles and Boston. I'm hoping for some nice density to go along with it.
"Will be" are pretty strong words... it sounds like an interesting idea but time will tell. I foresee it remaining quite a bit more forested than Paris for some decades... maybe centuries... to come.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:03 PM

7,713 posts, read 9,577,479 times
Quote:
I foresee it remaining quite a bit more forested than Paris for some decades... maybe centuries... to come.
Probably forever.

I think Johns Creek knows how to do things right, and they'll surely figure plenty of green space into their master plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or