U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2015, 02:22 PM
 
1,955 posts, read 1,641,816 times
Reputation: 1185

Advertisements

Georgia House passed bill to kill Georgia's $5000 tax credit for lease or purchase of an electric car (if the Senate passes the bill, and the Governor does not veto, the credit is dead, as of July 1).

The State Of Georgia Reverts To The Mean On Electric Vehicle Tax Incentives

I am actually pretty surprised that the tax credits have lasted this long. I am guessing that this will pretty much kill the electric car market in Georgia, at least on the low end (Leaf), and will hurt it at the top (Tesla).

From the market share perspective, Georgia leads the nation for electric car adoption with 1.6% of market, and Atlanta is the number two city --2.1% of market. Contrast that with Tennessee --where Nissan's electric Leaf is built--has only has a 0.19% market share (only other state in the south in the top 10). From what I've read the Leaf may or may not have reached the point in which they are profitable, and Tesla has not been doing that great as of late (troubles in China).

Anyway, if Georgia kills the credit, it looks like we will have until July 1st to get the middle class government freebie.

Georgia Residents: Make Money and Lease a new 2013 Nissan LEAF S for $235/mo with VPP or $259 without VPP 12-15-2013 - Slickdeals.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2015, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Southeast, where else?
3,914 posts, read 4,013,169 times
Reputation: 5781
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Georgia House passed bill to kill Georgia's $5000 tax credit for lease or purchase of an electric car (if the Senate passes the bill, and the Governor does not veto, the credit is dead, as of July 1).

The State Of Georgia Reverts To The Mean On Electric Vehicle Tax Incentives

I am actually pretty surprised that the tax credits have lasted this long. I am guessing that this will pretty much kill the electric car market in Georgia, at least on the low end (Leaf), and will hurt it at the top (Tesla).

From the market share perspective, Georgia leads the nation for electric car adoption with 1.6% of market, and Atlanta is the number two city --2.1% of market. Contrast that with Tennessee --where Nissan's electric Leaf is built--has only has a 0.19% market share (only other state in the south in the top 10). From what I've read the Leaf may or may not have reached the point in which they are profitable, and Tesla has not been doing that great as of late (troubles in China).

Anyway, if Georgia kills the credit, it looks like we will have until July 1st to get the middle class government freebie.

Georgia Residents: Make Money and Lease a new 2013 Nissan LEAF S for $235/mo with VPP or $259 without VPP 12-15-2013 - Slickdeals.net

Tragic. I'm Republican all the way and love the new Leaf. If I could ditch a car or two I would lease one or two. I think there are some qualifications you must have in order to take advantage of the tax break. Also, is that tax break a true 1:1 reduction in your taxes or simply saving the tax on 5K?

Anyway, I love hybrids and electric cars. They both show promise. It's not about hugging trees either although that's a nice bonus. I just have a fundamental problem of paying so much money each week for a flippin' commodity like oil/gas. I want to see that number go way way down if not disappear entirely.

The Leaf's only problem is range. I suspect if they could get that to 125-200 miles per charge it would literally start to wipe out quite a few gasoline cars. Who can't understand the savings IF the price point can be such that it makes sense either through subsidies or outright production and demand (my preferred). Seems like a competent vehicle although I haven't owned one and 60 or so realistic miles is just too inconvenient. Need to amp that up a bit. I'm all for it, just needs more range. Nice looking car.

Anyone know how the AC is in this thing? In August???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 03:10 PM
 
1,955 posts, read 1,641,816 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Tragic. I'm Republican all the way and love the new Leaf. If I could ditch a car or two I would lease one or two. I think there are some qualifications you must have in order to take advantage of the tax break. Also, is that tax break a true 1:1 reduction in your taxes or simply saving the tax on 5K?

Anyway, I love hybrids and electric cars. They both show promise. It's not about hugging trees either although that's a nice bonus. I just have a fundamental problem of paying so much money each week for a flippin' commodity like oil/gas. I want to see that number go way way down if not disappear entirely.

The Leaf's only problem is range. I suspect if they could get that to 125-200 miles per charge it would literally start to wipe out quite a few gasoline cars. Who can't understand the savings IF the price point can be such that it makes sense either through subsidies or outright production and demand (my preferred). Seems like a competent vehicle although I haven't owned one and 60 or so realistic miles is just too inconvenient. Need to amp that up a bit. I'm all for it, just needs more range. Nice looking car.

Anyone know how the AC is in this thing? In August???
It is a 5K reduction in your tax bill. My sister loves hers. Drove the Ford Focus Electric this weekend--it's nicer on the inside (but with even less storage--and is not super-duper quick charging capable), and according to Truecar.com the Ford can be had for about 25K before 12.5K in federal and state tax credits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 04:03 PM
 
7,700 posts, read 9,542,617 times
Reputation: 5667
Quote:
Nice looking car.
I was totally with you until that part.

If the Leaf could increase its range to 150 miles or so, that would really do a lot to increase its market share.

But to take issue with what you said...I, personally, think the car itself is goofy as hell looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 05:10 PM
 
1,386 posts, read 2,482,642 times
Reputation: 826
Really wish Tesla's 2017 cheaper model was coming sooner to take advantage.

I'm definitely getting one.

Have a Leaf now and love the technology for a multitude of reason. Its a great car. Rides fantastic, quite, good stereo, great tech pkg, etc etc.

Its funny reading the AJC commentary about all of the people bent out of shape regarding the tax incentive and the car itself. Amazing the level of dumb people can reach...seems they know no bounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 05:20 PM
 
283 posts, read 268,392 times
Reputation: 330
Is anyone really surprised? Republicans are in the pockets of the oil companies, therefore they need to keep gasoline-based vehicles on the road as long as possible. Any incentive to move away from oil would impact their backroom deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2015, 07:53 AM
 
1,955 posts, read 1,641,816 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
Is anyone really surprised? Republicans are in the pockets of the oil companies, therefore they need to keep gasoline-based vehicles on the road as long as possible. Any incentive to move away from oil would impact their backroom deals.
That's just a little silly. The Georgia Legislature has paid $5000 tax credits for the purchase or lease of electric cars for over three years. Most any other state legislature (regardless of party) has not even come close to providing this sort of support (Colorodo is probably better, California is close). That's a lot of money that certainly has given electric vehicles a boost in the state. All that on a technology that may not be an improvement over a good hybrid (when you factor where your electricity comes from, battery size, and longevity/miles used for the vehicle--still, both are probably better than even the most efficient gas-only cars).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2015, 08:58 AM
 
1,386 posts, read 2,482,642 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
That's just a little silly. The Georgia Legislature has paid $5000 tax credits for the purchase or lease of electric cars for over three years. Most any other state legislature (regardless of party) has not even come close to providing this sort of support (Colorodo is probably better, California is close). That's a lot of money that certainly has given electric vehicles a boost in the state. All that on a technology that may not be an improvement over a good hybrid (when you factor where your electricity comes from, battery size, and longevity/miles used for the vehicle--still, both are probably better than even the most efficient gas-only cars).


This is Generation ONE of electric cars. One would hope, much like gas cars, things improve over the years. Hopefully not as slowly as gas cars with the OIL Companies AND CAR Industries being in law makers pockets and thwarting progress in exchange for a better bottom line.

The technology is infinitely better for the environment. The argument against is laughable. I won't even entertain that challenge with supporting links as I hope ones brain can digest that without help. Yes, I get the coal burning plant argument.

Should the incentive go away, yes...eventually. It should provide a longer sunset. Why not do 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 starting with 2015. Why try to wipe it clean so fast.

Believe it or not, the tax incentive is working. Georgia is leading the way. How often do you get to say that??? Georgia wants to bolster its tech image? Keep it going.

Naysayers always say it is just a 100% suck on tax revenue while forgetting that it has created jobs and tax revenue elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2015, 09:59 AM
 
1,955 posts, read 1,641,816 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
This is Generation ONE of electric cars. One would hope, much like gas cars, things improve over the years. Hopefully not as slowly as gas cars with the OIL Companies AND CAR Industries being in law makers pockets and thwarting progress in exchange for a better bottom line.

The technology is infinitely better for the environment. The argument against is laughable. I won't even entertain that challenge with supporting links as I hope ones brain can digest that without help. Yes, I get the coal burning plant argument.

Should the incentive go away, yes...eventually. It should provide a longer sunset. Why not do 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 starting with 2015. Why try to wipe it clean so fast.

Believe it or not, the tax incentive is working. Georgia is leading the way. How often do you get to say that??? Georgia wants to bolster its tech image? Keep it going.

Naysayers always say it is just a 100% suck on tax revenue while forgetting that it has created jobs and tax revenue elsewhere.
I was responding to the post taking a potshot at the Georgia Legislature for being in the pocket of "big oil" after it has essentially allowed folks in Georgia to drive electric cars for "free", while almost no other state in the nation has come close to doing this.

As far as the carbon footprint of a good hybrid versus an electric, I am not sure. After a couple of years, folks are seeing degredation in Leaf batteries--and the cars already have a limited range. Do you think more folks will be getting 15 years and over 150,000 miles out of a Prius or a Leaf? If an electric, and its larger battery get used up earlier than a hybrid, is it really more efficient? If a Leaf is all used up 50,000 miles earlier or 5 years earlier than a Prius, is that still "infinitely better for the environment"? You can say we won't know until we get there, but I don't see how the question is laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2015, 12:05 PM
 
1,386 posts, read 2,482,642 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I was responding to the post taking a potshot at the Georgia Legislature for being in the pocket of "big oil" after it has essentially allowed folks in Georgia to drive electric cars for "free", while almost no other state in the nation has come close to doing this.

As far as the carbon footprint of a good hybrid versus an electric, I am not sure. After a couple of years, folks are seeing degredation in Leaf batteries--and the cars already have a limited range. Do you think more folks will be getting 15 years and over 150,000 miles out of a Prius or a Leaf? If an electric, and its larger battery get used up earlier than a hybrid, is it really more efficient? If a Leaf is all used up 50,000 miles earlier or 5 years earlier than a Prius, is that still "infinitely better for the environment"? You can say we won't know until we get there, but I don't see how the question is laughable.
Swap the battery. The LEAF has a life cycle that is greatly longer than any gasoline powered car.

I haven't seen these stories of deterioration. Not saying they don't exist. I'm fairly confident that when the battery goes bad in 10 yrs or so, the replacement will provide FAR better range, will be cheaper than today, and will keep the car on the road for an amazing amount of time over a combustion engine.

Battery technology will get better. I'm not sure you've kept up with what Musk is doing, but he is making an ENORMOUS investment into making better, higher capacity, longer lasting, cheaper batteries. He doesn't care to make money on the Tesla (see release of patents). What he is planning on doing is being THE provider for infrastructure...through battery stations, charging stations, etc.

In the future, you won't go to a gas station, you will go to a battery station. Batteries will largely be recycled into new batteries.

In the future a battery the size of a gasoline powered car battery will provide enough range to go 500-1000 miles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top