U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:49 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,712,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I wouldn't call O4W "affluent" yet, but $17 million is steep for even the richest neighborhoods, isn't it?

Welcome to the world of municipal buildings. I don't know who's to blame - the elected officials, or the contractors, or added restriction for Grovernment buildings, but pricing for municipal structures is crazy inflated.

But to put it in context, a 40,000 sq ft City Hall will run you about 12Million. So 17.5 for a rec center with a pool, intown is about right. Even factoring in that they will need to knock it down and rebuild it I guess?

Fulton County Library system is spending 167M for the 10 projects they have going on right now - that works out to roughly 16M per library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 09:24 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,504,549 times
Yep, the old building is structurally unsound and would be more expensive to repair than replace. I'm voting for the whole thing. Yes, $17.5m for a natatorium seems excessive on its face. But this is a neighborhood that is not, by any stretch of the imagination, fully gentrified or well-heeled. It is certainly a transitional neighborhood, but I'd certainly bet money that there are more poor kids living on O4W than rich ones -- its new, wealthy residents also tend to have fewer children. As badly as I want to see sidewalks built in my neighborhood, for the kids who walk in the street past my house all day (I repaired my sidewalks when my house was built, my neighbors did not) -- I also want them to have somewhere worthwhile to walk to.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:27 AM

22,305 posts, read 16,335,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Everybody loves a swiming pool but this is not your daddy's Old Fourth Ward. It is now an extremely affluent neighborhood with houses that can easily set you back half a million dollars. It is loaded with upscale restaurants and has had zillions in public money poured into it via the Beltline and similar mega projects.

It's time for the O4W to step up and create a conservancy like other well-heeled neighborhoods around the city have done.

Let the millennials roar!

Repairing the pool could relieve the overcrowding at the splash pad in historic fourth Ward park.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:09 AM

9,988 posts, read 6,982,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Repairing the pool could relieve the overcrowding at the splash pad in historic fourth Ward park.
That is quite an expensive fix. Splash pads are only $10k-$300k. You could build an entire new park for the price of this pool.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
That is quite an expensive fix. Splash pads are only $10k-$300k. You could build an entire new park for the price of this pool.
The splash pad in Kirkwood has been quoted at $600K. $17.5M for a single, indoor pool is steep.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:32 AM

28,254 posts, read 24,864,999 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call O4W "affluent" yet, but $17 million is steep for even the richest neighborhoods, isn't it?
When the community is paying, prices tend to come way down.

When the government is paying for something using taxpayer money, prices tend to do through the roof.

Other city pools such as Chastain, Piedmont, Garden Hills and Candler park are financially supported by the local community.

It's crazy to spend $17.5 million in taxpayer dollars on a swimming pool in a neighborhood of half million dollar homes. We are stretched razor thin on infrastructure money and we will be lucky if we get enough to repave a few of our major streets.

Don't forget that fleet replacement is coming up next. That is around $100 million -- it was taken out of this bond issue but all the vehicles will be getting older and older. We're getting close to tapping out our bond capacity, which has lots of unpleasant ramifications.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:43 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,356,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Welcome to the world of municipal buildings. I don't know who's to blame - the elected officials, or the contractors, or added restriction for Grovernment buildings, but pricing for municipal structures is crazy inflated.

But to put it in context, a 40,000 sq ft City Hall will run you about 12Million. So 17.5 for a rec center with a pool, intown is about right. Even factoring in that they will need to knock it down and rebuild it I guess?

Fulton County Library system is spending 167M for the 10 projects they have going on right now - that works out to roughly 16M per library.
I'm not confused about WHY it costs that much, I'm just trying to figure out if he seriously thinks a NEIGHBORHOOD would be able to pay that even if the cost comes down.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
When the community is paying, prices tend to come way down.

When the government is paying for something using taxpayer money, prices tend to do through the roof.

Other city pools such as Chastain, Piedmont, Garden Hills and Candler park are financially supported by the local community.

It's crazy to spend $17.5 million in taxpayer dollars on a swimming pool in a neighborhood of half million dollar homes. We are stretched razor thin on infrastructure money and we will be lucky if we get enough to repave a few of our major streets.

Don't forget that fleet replacement is coming up next. That is around $100 million -- it was taken out of this bond issue but all the vehicles will be getting older and older. We're getting close to tapping out our bond capacity, which has lots of unpleasant ramifications.
$500M homes and the largest concentration of section 8 housing in the state. O4W is a large neighborhood.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:10 AM

2,319 posts, read 1,446,813 times
Quote:
I'm not confused about WHY it costs that much, I'm just trying to figure out if he seriously thinks a NEIGHBORHOOD would be able to pay that even if the cost comes down.
You know some people will say anything hoping it will mean something...

Old 11-12-2015, 03:06 PM

Official updated Renew Atlanta Bond website. Complete list of projects.
http://renewatlantabond.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or