U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-12-2016, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,193 posts, read 16,208,252 times
Reputation: 4913

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
To a large extent your last sentence applies to you, blind to the needs of others. In that case, you are blind to the 90% who depend on the streets in favor of the less than 1% who bike or walk (roughly 7% telecommute and 2% ride the train). Even the bus riders need streets.

The contra flow lane really is a hazard and needs to go. They work in other places, but are just so unusual here that it needs to go even if it slows traffic. Left turn lanes will improve flow in the opposite direction but will merely mitigate the loss of a lane in the peak direction. But it just needs to go.

That doesn't mean we create more safety hazards by forcing bike lanes into the space. Even more so when there are more lightly travelled parallel roads that would serve much better.
First off, I did not offer adding bike lanes and in fact earlier mention the project to extend the Stone Mountain PATH along the south side of DeKalb, of course to fit the MUP the contraflow lanes will be removed (left turn lanes installed at signalized intersections.) At this point it appears the bike infrastructure along DeKalb will only be Rocky Ford Rd to Hurt St. Between Hurt St and Jackson, Husley Yard is too close to DeKalb. There would be no room for bike infrastructure and protected left turn lane at Krog and Boulevard. I support the idea of extending the Stone Mountain PATH to Hurt St, then upgrade bicycle facilities along Edgewood Ave (a vary flat and straight route into downtown.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2016, 09:47 AM
JPD
 
11,877 posts, read 14,494,145 times
Reputation: 7559
I saw a car yesterday in the far right eastbound lane at Dekalb and Krog trying to take a left, even though both eastbound lanes were open and he should have been in the middle. Cars were flying past him in the middle lane. If you were the person in the red car at approximately 1:35, please learn how these lanes work before you get somebody killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2016, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,193 posts, read 16,208,252 times
Reputation: 4913
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I saw a car yesterday in the far right eastbound lane at Dekalb and Krog trying to take a left, even though both eastbound lanes were open and he should have been in the middle. Cars were flying past him in the middle lane. If you were the person in the red car at approximately 1:35, please learn how these lanes work before you get somebody killed.
A great example of why the contraflow lanes need to get removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2016, 12:55 PM
 
28,160 posts, read 24,711,424 times
Reputation: 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Many of them have, it was just my observation that there was a dividing line (North vs South)
Bike lanes can be an emotional issue. It wasn't long ago that folks in Buckhead who opposed bike lanes on Peachtree were being barbecued as a bunch of car-driving meanies and now you've got the same thing happening on the east side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2016, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,193 posts, read 16,208,252 times
Reputation: 4913
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Bike lanes can be an emotional issue. It wasn't long ago that folks in Buckhead who opposed bike lanes on Peachtree were being barbecued as a bunch of car-driving meanies and now you've got the same thing happening on the east side.
I mentioned that in the article. The media helped to portray the project as 'removing a vehicle lane for a bike lane,' when it was improving the safety of the corridor, by installing a center turn lane. The left over pavement between the curbs was enough room for a 2-bike lanes, but not an additional vehicle lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2016, 01:06 PM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,298,414 times
Reputation: 1967
Friend of mine was driving Uber and talking with his passengers and not paying attention and hit someone head on in that middle lane earlier this year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2016, 05:38 PM
 
513 posts, read 1,400,671 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I saw a car yesterday in the far right eastbound lane at Dekalb and Krog trying to take a left, even though both eastbound lanes were open and he should have been in the middle. Cars were flying past him in the middle lane. If you were the person in the red car at approximately 1:35, please learn how these lanes work before you get somebody killed.
I've seen this happen so many times and I just tense up because I always think something really bad is about to happen. All I can do is honk my horn in hopes that person thinks about what they are about to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 08:20 AM
JPD
 
11,877 posts, read 14,494,145 times
Reputation: 7559
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
I've seen this happen so many times and I just tense up because I always think something really bad is about to happen. All I can do is honk my horn in hopes that person thinks about what they are about to do.
I don't understand why people don't realize they screwed up and take a detour. Just turn right into the tunnel, find somewhere to turn around, and head back where you need to be. People constantly screw up and then inconvenience and endanger the rest of us rather than moving along and correcting their mistake on their own time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,193 posts, read 16,208,252 times
Reputation: 4913
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I don't understand why people don't realize they screwed up and take a detour. Just turn right into the tunnel, find somewhere to turn around, and head back where you need to be. People constantly screw up and then inconvenience and endanger the rest of us rather than moving along and correcting their mistake on their own time.
Selfishness, they believe their time is more valuable than the safety of everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 08:38 AM
JPD
 
11,877 posts, read 14,494,145 times
Reputation: 7559
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Selfishness, they believe their time is more valuable than the safety of everyone else.
I've seen people throw their car in reverse on major roads because they passed the entrance to McDonalds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top