U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2016, 08:42 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,003,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Once again, the media getting it completely wrong and trying to push it as bikes vs cars.
Repeating this ad nausem does not make it true, particularly in cases like this:

Quote:
And there lies the problem. You can’t convert the third lane into a left-turn lane AND stripe in bike lanes. There just isn’t enough width along the street in many places.
One mode of transport is going to get the improvements publicized before the vote; the other. One mode will benefit at the expense of the other. Like it or not, that's an "us vs. them" kinda quandary.

Last edited by red92s; 12-18-2016 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 08:51 PM

28,153 posts, read 24,696,070 times
Wonder what the origins and destinations are for travelers (cars and cyclists) on DeKalb avenue?

That is, where are they coming from and where are they going to?

If we knew that, we might be able to do more nuanced planning for ways to accommodate them.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:02 PM

4,245 posts, read 2,831,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
DeKalb is not supposed to be for high speed but too many people treat it that tway.

I agree that it should be given the Complete streets treatment, including alternate transportation modes. The concerns of local residents should have priority over non-resident cut-thru commuters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Looks like Bill Torpy is coming out against the Complete streets treatment for DeKalb.
Quote:
Once again, the media getting it completely wrong and trying to push it as bikes vs cars.
Curious...how would you give Dekalb a Complete Streets treatment? Much of DeKalb has only 50' of space between buildings on one side and MARTA track on the other. In some places, it's as little as 40'. Short of tearing down dozens, if not hundreds, of buildings, you're not getting two travel lanes, two bike lanes, a large median, two plant strips, and two sidewalks. Fortunately though, it does not need any sort of rail treatment, as MARTA is right there. So, I guess you could give it two 10' travel lanes, two 5' bike lanes, two 5' sidewalks, and a median in the wider spots. But I think Complete Streets is out.

I don't spend much time on Dekalb, but any time I have, I've hated the road, mostly because of the reversible lane that is pretty poorly marked. I've never seen it have enough traffic to warrant the reversible lane, but I don't know real specifics. According to that traffic counting map, it gets about 14,000-17,000 vehicles per day which is equal to Moore's Mill Road, which I travel daily, which is a narrow, two-lane road (and it sucks).

Old 12-18-2016, 09:53 PM

22,181 posts, read 16,194,283 times
From personal discussions with CoA planning there would be no bike lanes. Instead, the PATH would be extended to Hurt St. This would be accomplished by removing the contraflow lane, but installing protected left turn lanes at signalized intersections between Rocky Ford Rd and Hurt St (Arizona Ave, Clifton Rd, Whitefoord Rd, and Moreland Ave.) From there bicycle infrastructure improvements would be made to Edgewood Ave (lower speed road.) DeKalb between Hurt St and Jackson St would have the contraflow lane removed and protected left turn lanes and/or center turn lane.
either way the contraflow lane is going away. Crash rates show it is dangerous.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:10 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,493,021 times
That sounds like a win-win situation to me. Traffic may not be able to fly as fast as the side with two lanes currently can, but it should flow more predictably and more safely now that the left lane doesn't serve double duty as a high-speed passing lane and a dead-stop left turn lane.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:23 AM

Dekalb Avenue Is Broken - Atlanta Bicycle Coalition

Old 12-22-2016, 11:26 AM

5,412 posts, read 2,739,239 times
Quote:
A good read.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:17 PM

Still no explanation of how they envision left turn lanes and a multi-use trail fitting through some of the pinch points. Or, maybe Torphy got it all wrong and some clever civil engineer can make it work. Seems like it'd be a fairly simple engineering study on a project of this scale to prove that both those "wants" can be accommodated in the space that is actually available. The fact that the Renew Atlanta folks haven't come out and said "yeah, this is feasible" or "nope, not going to work" some 10 months after the project kicked off makes me wonder. They could do a lot to move the conversation forward by simply addressing the big-picture questions that you'd expect answers to at this stage.

Last edited by red92s; 12-22-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 12-22-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Still no explanation of how they envision left turn lanes and a multi-use trail fitting through some of the pinch points. Or, maybe Torphy got it all wrong and some clever civil engineer can make it work. Seems like it'd be a fairly simple engineering study on a project of this scale to prove that both those "wants" can be accommodated in the space that is actually available. The fact that the Renew Atlanta folks haven't come out and said "yeah, this is feasible" or "nope, not going to work" some 10 months after the project kicked off makes me wonder. They could do a lot to move the conversation forward by simply addressing the big-picture questions that you'd expect answers to at this stage.
10 months since kick off? They had the first public meeting earlier this month. Also, the MUP would only stretch to Hurt St, completely feasible with left turn lanes at signalized intersections-ONLY.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
10 months since kick off? They had the first public meeting earlier this month. Also, the MUP would only stretch to Hurt St, completely feasible with left turn lanes at signalized intersections-ONLY.
Hey don't blame me for assuming what's listed the fancy website that was promised to voters so they can track project details, budgets, and timelines to maintain total transparency about how the city is spending a quarter of a billion borrowed dollars is, in fact, accurate. Seems like a pretty pointless "transparency portal" if things like dates are off by years.You really think the first time any thought or evaluation was put into this project was on or after the first public meeting? I would surely hope not.

Project Start: 02-2016
DeKalb Avenue

What would bicycle safety improvements along Dekalb look like West of Hurt street? The ABC piece seems to be lobbying for something more significant than some sharrows and green paint. What's the halfway solution between A MUP and a sharrow that actually keeps bikes going both directions protected from traffic, off the sidewalk, and isn't 10' wide?

Last edited by red92s; 12-22-2016 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or