U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,150 posts, read 16,152,860 times
Reputation: 4894

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
They must have been going very fast.

I think one issue that would stop a ton of accidents in Atlanta would be to make right on red illegal city wide. I have been in so many near accidents because people treat right on red as a priority over forward on Green. Cars pull out right in front of me at intersections daily.
Unless it's enforced it won't change anything. At this intersection, Right On Red is banned.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2018, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,244 posts, read 4,376,829 times
Reputation: 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Unless it's enforced it won't change anything.
The biggest problem when it comes to traffic safety in this city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 AM
 
1,268 posts, read 629,539 times
Reputation: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
The biggest problem when it comes to traffic safety in this city.
Once we lower crime rate, police will have time to enforce traffic more. Another positive of gentrification will be freeing the police to focus on other things.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 10:38 AM
 
4,240 posts, read 2,819,802 times
Reputation: 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Highlights what happens when we prioritize speed and vehicle throughput over safety.
The entire street could be a 9'-lane rumble strip with speed bumps every 50', and you would still have someone speed down it periodically. You can't design against everything, unfortunately. As far as prioritizing speed, Dekalb Avenue is hardly the poster-child for that. The lanes are less than 10' wide with no shoulders, and confusing reversible lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I think one issue that would stop a ton of accidents in Atlanta would be to make right on red illegal city wide. I have been in so many near accidents because people treat right on red as a priority over forward on Green. Cars pull out right in front of me at intersections daily.
Daily? I find that hard to believe. But, I frequently get stuck behind the assbags who won't turn right on red, even when it is legal, and the destination road is completely empty.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,150 posts, read 16,152,860 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
The entire street could be a 9'-lane rumble strip with speed bumps every 50', and you would still have someone speed down it periodically. You can't design against everything, unfortunately. As far as prioritizing speed, Dekalb Avenue is hardly the poster-child for that. The lanes are less than 10' wide with no shoulders, and confusing reversible lanes.



Daily? I find that hard to believe. But, I frequently get stuck behind the assbags who won't turn right on red, even when it is legal, and the destination road is completely empty.
Adding speed humps to this street would not make it safer, but more dangerous as drivers would be braking and speeding back up again. Instead it needs the contraflow lanes removed, protected left turns at signalized intersections, and a Complete Street transformation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,244 posts, read 4,376,829 times
Reputation: 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Daily? I find that hard to believe. But, I frequently get stuck behind the assbags who won't turn right on red, even when it is legal, and the destination road is completely empty.


You really should be more considerate to that driver's need to use the cell phone. You oon't know if there's an important post they need to add an emoticon response to before moving on. You shouldn't be so self centered there, Sam.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 10:56 AM
 
1,268 posts, read 629,539 times
Reputation: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
The entire street could be a 9'-lane rumble strip with speed bumps every 50', and you would still have someone speed down it periodically. You can't design against everything, unfortunately. As far as prioritizing speed, Dekalb Avenue is hardly the poster-child for that. The lanes are less than 10' wide with no shoulders, and confusing reversible lanes.



Daily? I find that hard to believe. But, I frequently get stuck behind the assbags who won't turn right on red, even when it is legal, and the destination road is completely empty.
Yes, daily. And quite frankly I think near accidents or accidents from people pulling out right on red in front of cars is a much bigger problem than people having to wait a few seconds because someone won't pull out. Safety > time. It's like the idiots who speed past me on the shoulder and then I catch up with them at the next red light
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,150 posts, read 16,152,860 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Yes, daily. And quite frankly I think near accidents or accidents from people pulling out right on red in front of cars is a much bigger problem than people having to wait a few seconds because someone won't pull out. Safety > time. It's like the idiots who speed past me on the shoulder and then I catch up with them at the next red light
I love when that happens while riding my bike. me at the driver:
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,714 posts, read 1,985,416 times
Reputation: 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Once we lower crime rate, police will have time to enforce traffic more. Another positive of gentrification will be freeing the police to focus on other things.
Laugh out Loud!

Atlanta's populace is comprised of people staring at an iPad while weaving between cars on the freeway at 100+ mph. I see this routinely.

I'm very grateful for Atlanta area policemen, women, for risking their lives to keep our over-abundance of criminals in check...

So the fact that they do their patrols without much provoking & keeping to themselves is fine by me.

Atlanta's city operations barely function at all, with most problems being addressed only after causing some catastrophic failure.

If you think anything about Atlanta's day-to-day operations will ever go anywhere other than further downhill, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

The criminal element is merely pushed to adjacent neighborhoods, not eliminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Adding speed humps to this street would not make it safer, but more dangerous as drivers would be braking and speeding back up again. Instead it needs the contraflow lanes removed, protected left turns at signalized intersections, and a Complete Street transformation.

NO ADDITIONAL PROTECTED LEFTS!

They are responsible for probably 40% of everyone's travel times. We need to accommodate space for the other ways to transition to leftward streets, like u- turns beyond intersection, turning right then switching directions, "Michigan Lefts", "Jersey Jug-handles" & "NC Superstreets".

I mean, we live in a city where a burned-out traffic signal bulb at Buford Hwy & Sidney Marcus sat for 1 year & 10 months before finally being "noticed" & replaced.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 12:53 PM
JPD
 
11,849 posts, read 14,465,255 times
Reputation: 7536
Hairbrained dream concept: Flatten Dekalb Ave where it approaches Krog by making the street a bridge between Delta Place and Cornelia Street. Peds and cyclists using the tunnel can travel safely underneath. No motor vehicle turns in or out of the tunnel would be possible (turn at Edgewood or Irwin). Incorporate a MARTA station into the bridge design, eliminating most of the elevation from street to rail platform.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top