U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:09 AM

2,075 posts, read 2,007,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Because they're relatively new. They've only been there ten years, or so. Maybe not even ten years.
Didn't stop us from building a new baseball stadium. It's a sunk cost. If it's not working, move on and do something else. The work on Dekalb isn't going to be free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 08:16 AM

2,075 posts, read 2,007,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
DeKalb needs it. The contraflow lanes are dangerous and outdated. This is a plan (similar to Peachtree and Ponce) to make the roadway safer for everyone and in doing so if the state/city can follow their complete street requirements, they will take that opportunity. Get over it, but the contraflow lanes are going away.
Oh I get that this is happening. I was happily surprised when the removal of lanes on Ponce wasn't as bad as I thought, but the big difference there is it's still got two travel lanes. Still haven't been presented with a convincing argument as to why contraflow lanes on Dekalb are so dangerous and need to be eliminated, but on memorial the initial studies showed they worked great and should be expanded. Almost as if these very similar projects, very near each other, are looking at similar problems and arriving at totally different conclusions . . . because they started from the end and worked backwards to justify it. I've been driving Deklab since I had my learners permit. in the 16+ years since, I've had zero incidents of head on collisions, or even near misses. It feels way more dangerous than it is. The signage and signaling could be vastly improved for a small fraction for the cost of this project.

Being Atlanta, these protected left turns are going to have light cycles of about 3 seconds, and not be in any way coordinated with the signals on the streets they feed. So the folks turning left are just going to pack into the turn lane, overflow it's length, and eventually block the through lanes. I guess you could make the argument that is no worse than the present day situation for the single-lane direction, so what's the harm in trying?

Last edited by red92s; 10-25-2016 at 08:24 AM..

Old 10-25-2016, 09:04 AM

1,964 posts, read 1,650,199 times
Quote:
DeKalb needs it. The contraflow lanes are dangerous and outdated. This is a plan (similar to Peachtree and Ponce) to make the roadway safer for everyone and in doing so if the state/city can follow their complete street requirements, they will take that opportunity. Get over it, but the contraflow lanes are going away.
Every plan is dangerous because too many folks are impatient and drive like total idiots. The thing I worry about is that this (and other plans throughout the city) is essentially decreasing capacity for cars, and folks will become even more impatient and drive like bigger schmucks (if that is even possible).

Old 10-25-2016, 09:08 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,231,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Every plan is dangerous because too many folks are impatient and drive like total idiots. The thing I worry about is that this (and other plans throughout the city) is essentially decreasing capacity for cars, and folks will become even more impatient and drive like bigger schmucks (if that is even possible).
Are saying to avoid people 'not following the laws' we should allow wider roads? I understand the concern, but that is treating the symptoms and not the cause, which is designing our city for cars and not people. I would be willing to bet that over 90% of the commuters on DeKalb are driving alone.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Are saying to avoid people 'not following the laws' we should allow wider roads? I understand the concern, but that is treating the symptoms and not the cause, which is designing our city for cars and not people. I would be willing to bet that over 90% of the commuters on DeKalb are driving alone.
That was more of a "vent" than a critique on my part. Just tired of impatient drivers driving without regard for other humans because *their* time is sooo important.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:24 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,231,134 times
Quote:
That was more of a "vent" than a critique on my part. Just tired of impatient drivers driving without regard for other humans because *their* time is sooo important.
Some take home coupons (tickets) would make an impact.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:26 AM
bu2

9,015 posts, read 5,705,549 times
Quote:
Proof-Drive along Briarcliff or LaVista. People will regularly cross the double yellow line and drive into oncoming traffic to get to their left turn lanes.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:34 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,504,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Didn't stop us from building a new baseball stadium. It's a sunk cost. If it's not working, move on and do something else. The work on Dekalb isn't going to be free.
You're talking about profit motivated ventures. Municipal projects don't operate the same way.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:06 AM

5,009 posts, read 3,495,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
What "us?" CoA isn't paying for that.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Proof-Drive along Briarcliff or LaVista. People will regularly cross the double yellow line and drive into oncoming traffic to get to their left turn lanes.
Had some jerks in a work truck follow why my wife to our home to yell and at her for not passing a cyclist on McClendon. Never mind that she didn't think it was safe to pass, or that they pissed away more tme following her home, or that she was a woman by herself and they were a truckload of men...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or