U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-25-2016, 11:41 AM
 
686 posts, read 511,582 times
Reputation: 518

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Had some jerks in a work truck follow why my wife to our home to yell and at her for not passing a cyclist on McClendon. Never mind that she didn't think it was safe to pass, or that they pissed away more tme following her home, or that she was a woman by herself and they were a truckload of men...
I saw a guy turning left from Memorial onto Boulevard this morning edge his front tire so close to the moped in front that he was maybe 5mm from the riders shoe.

As the light turned green the driver pulled wildly around and in front of the moped guy....a completely reckless and dangerous move....how he didn't side swipe him I'll never know.

Disgraceful driving (I noted his plate details and would happily have passed them onto the APD)
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2016, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Reputation: 4903
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Oh I get that this is happening. I was happily surprised when the removal of lanes on Ponce wasn't as bad as I thought, but the big difference there is it's still got two travel lanes. Still haven't been presented with a convincing argument as to why contraflow lanes on Dekalb are so dangerous and need to be eliminated, but on memorial the initial studies showed they worked great and should be expanded. Almost as if these very similar projects, very near each other, are looking at similar problems and arriving at totally different conclusions . . . because they started from the end and worked backwards to justify it. I've been driving Deklab since I had my learners permit. in the 16+ years since, I've had zero incidents of head on collisions, or even near misses. It feels way more dangerous than it is. The signage and signaling could be vastly improved for a small fraction for the cost of this project.

Being Atlanta, these protected left turns are going to have light cycles of about 3 seconds, and not be in any way coordinated with the signals on the streets they feed. So the folks turning left are just going to pack into the turn lane, overflow it's length, and eventually block the through lanes. I guess you could make the argument that is no worse than the present day situation for the single-lane direction, so what's the harm in trying?
Traffic studies can be done to estimate the amount of left turn movements at signals and plan for the length needed to stack vehicles performing left turn movements during a cycle.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 02:38 PM
 
2,074 posts, read 2,002,327 times
Reputation: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Traffic studies can be done to estimate the amount of left turn movements at signals and plan for the length needed to stack vehicles performing left turn movements during a cycle.
Sure, I suppose studies could be done. Will they? Unlikely. It's probably even less likely whatever contractor has bribed their way into the project will be accountable for working to plan, even if those things take place.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 06:28 PM
bu2
 
8,979 posts, read 5,679,048 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Sure, I suppose studies could be done. Will they? Unlikely. It's probably even less likely whatever contractor has bribed their way into the project will be accountable for working to plan, even if those things take place.
Maybe they will do some as part of the TSPLOST.

But Atlanta is just about the worst I've ever seen for signal timing. As a Texas Longhorn I hate to say it, but we need some Texas Aggies here and fire all those Georgia Tech and Auburn people running our traffic departments.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 06:30 PM
bu2
 
8,979 posts, read 5,679,048 times
Reputation: 3540
There is a lot of really simple, relatively inexpensive stuff that could be done to improve traffic flow in many places. But they don't seem to be doing it.

I have seen traffic counters in several places in DeKalb County over the last year or so after almost never seeing any for years. That is a positive sign. Used to see those all the time in Texas. If you don't know your volume, you can't know what to do to deal with it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 07:34 PM
 
2,074 posts, read 2,002,327 times
Reputation: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Maybe they will do some as part of the TSPLOST.

But Atlanta is just about the worst I've ever seen for signal timing. As a Texas Longhorn I hate to say it, but we need some Texas Aggies here and fire all those Georgia Tech and Auburn people running our traffic departments.
If they need to rely on another tax that hasn't been approved yet to have sufficient funds to correctly implement and design an infrastructure project that residents already voted to publicly finance two years ago, maybe they should just admit they are in way over their heads.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Prescott, AZ
5,405 posts, read 2,735,463 times
Reputation: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
There is a lot of really simple, relatively inexpensive stuff that could be done to improve traffic flow in many places. But they don't seem to be doing it.

I have seen traffic counters in several places in DeKalb County over the last year or so after almost never seeing any for years. That is a positive sign. Used to see those all the time in Texas. If you don't know your volume, you can't know what to do to deal with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
If they need to rely on another tax that hasn't been approved yet to have sufficient funds to correctly implement and design an infrastructure project that residents already voted to publicly finance two years ago, maybe they should just admit they are in way over their heads.
DeKalb Ave. IS NOT on the TSPLOST list of projects. It WILL NOT be funded with the TSPLOST.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 08:47 PM
 
28,148 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Reputation: 9544
I don't think taking a lane away from DeKalb would be all that cataclysmic. There's not only McLendon but plenty of other streets in the area to take up the slack.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 09:36 PM
 
1,958 posts, read 1,643,634 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't think taking a lane away from DeKalb would be all that cataclysmic. There's not only McLendon but plenty of other streets in the area to take up the slack.
That's funny. There is no "slack"--the local streets are pretty packed as well--especially when school is in. People's habits will have to change--more transit, bikes, less trips, or alternate hours--or folks will hust have to spend more time in traffic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Prescott, AZ
5,405 posts, read 2,735,463 times
Reputation: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
That's funny. There is no "slack"--the local streets are pretty packed as well--especially when school is in. People's habits will have to change--more transit, bikes, less trips, or alternate hours--or folks will hust have to spend more time in traffic.
Good thing bike-lanes are part of the project, the BeltLine is being expanded as we speak, light-rail / streetcars are planned for the area, and MARTA heavy rail already runs in that corridor.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top