U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 12:02 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,476,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
The East line currently ends at Irwin Street, right? That's still a mile's walk to King Memorial and Inman Park stations. Only hard-core transit fans are going to walk a mile to take the train. And neither of those stations have any real heavy density within half a mile.
I think you meant the Beltline, which in that area the Eastside Trail is currently being extended to near Memorial Drive.

Quote:
But, let's be honest. MARTA (rail) takes you to some business centers, the airport, and some otherwise not-so-friendly neighborhoods. It doesn't cover the vast majority of the city where people go to do things.
In which areas does it not cover "the vast majority of the city where people go to do things?"

Quote:
What people are looking for is for it to go to more areas. I rarely ever go to Perimeter. I go to the airport only 2-4 times a year now. I almost never go downtown. But I go a lot more places than Midtown. If it served more locations, I would be a heavy user.
Such as?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 12:11 PM

28,118 posts, read 24,646,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
They also get double frequency trains thanks to the green line overlapping the blue line between Edgewood/Candler Park and Ashby Stations. If anyone is using the train, it should be people who live in Candler Park or Edgewood and work Downtown.
When we lived in Candler Park I'd catch the train but my neighbors thought I was a nut. "Why go through all that when you can drive so much easier and faster?"

My ex thought it was crazy, too, and that may have been part of the reason we split up. I just felt like mass transit deserved a shot, since we'd built this great system.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:49 PM
JPD

11,851 posts, read 14,465,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post

In which areas does it not cover "the vast majority of the city where people go to do things?"
EAV
Virginia-Highland
Buford Highway corridor
Emory and surrounding areas
Ponce City Market/Masquerade/O4W Park
Lakewood Amphitheater
Chastain Park Amphitheater
Stone Mountain Park
Westside

Last edited by JPD; 10-26-2016 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-26-2016, 12:50 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,998,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, the East line links up the neighborhoods on that side of town with each other. It also gives them a straight shot into downtown and Decatur. With one easy transfer they can also get to Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter and the airport.

That's pretty serious transit connectivity. What else are they looking for?
Yep. So easy. I'll just drive my kids from Kirkwood to downtown for daycare drop-off, head back home again, get on my bike, get on MARTA, transfer trains, ride into the office... And hopefully be at work by noon or so. Then pack up and head out around 3 to reverse the process to be home before dinner. Or I can drive and do all of the above in 30 minutes.

Marta works great for getting to the airport of if you work adjacent to a rail line and never have a variable schedule. That's just not real life for a lot of people.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:00 PM

4,240 posts, read 2,819,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I think you meant the Beltline, which in that area the Eastside Trail is currently being extended to near Memorial Drive.
Yes, I started typing Eastside Trail, then started typing Beltline, and just got the two connected.

The Eastside Trail being extended to Memorial, at least in the way it's shown in the "under construction" map of the Beltline website, will not get it any closer to MARTA. So I don't think it's going to do much for ridership.

Quote:
See the attached image. This is something I threw together when I was curious about such times.

I started with the premise that one lives within a quarter mile of Five Points. I wanted to see how far that person could get in 20 minutes under normal conditions (i.e., not the dead of rush hour). I used the MARTA website for train times, and Google Maps to estimate driving times. I gave the person gong to MARTA 7 minutes from their front door to being on the train, which is pretty generous. I gave the person driving two minutes form their door to their car, which seems pretty normal for buildings.

The dark red circles are the places one could get to within 20 minutes using MARTA and walking. The green area is approximately where one could drive within 20 minutes. Now, of course I didn't take every contingency and every turn into account, because that would take ages.

But you can't seriously think that MARTA train covers the vast majority of the city. I understand being a transit fan, and I like it, too. But, you have to have realistic arguments.

Quote:
Such as?
Places I or my wife go regularly, as in multiple times per week or month?
  • Our home in "Upper Westside" (I like to call it that more now since it ruffles feathers)
  • West Midtown
  • Atlantic Station/IKEA (15 minutes away from transit is not connected)
  • Old Fourth Ward Park
  • Peachtree at Peachtree Battle
  • Smyrna/Vinings
  • Chastain Park
  • Roswell Road at Piedmont
  • Tanyard Creek Park
  • Atlanta Zoo
  • Near the REI off I-85
  • Work in Union City
  • Work in Norcross

That's the short list. JPD gave plenty more that I don't frequent but meet the criteria for the list.

Do people seriously confine themselves to never leaving Midtown/Downtown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Marta works great for getting to the airport of if you work adjacent to a rail line and never have a variable schedule. That's just not real life for a lot of people.
I do think some peoples' lives are home, work, and maybe going to a nearby bar or restaurant a couple of times a week. I do not live that life, and never, ever want to.
Attached Thumbnails
Dekalb Ave. overhaul planned-driving-vs-marta.jpg  

Old 10-26-2016, 02:13 PM
JPD

11,851 posts, read 14,465,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
The Eastside Trail being extended to Memorial, at least in the way it's shown in the "under construction" map of the Beltline website, will not get it any closer to MARTA. So I don't think it's going to do much for ridership.
It'll get pretty close to the Reynoldstown station.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:18 PM

22,154 posts, read 16,152,860 times
Quote:
Yep. So easy. I'll just drive my kids from Kirkwood to downtown for daycare drop-off, head back home again, get on my bike, get on MARTA, transfer trains, ride into the office... And hopefully be at work by noon or so. Then pack up and head out around 3 to reverse the process to be home before dinner. Or I can drive and do all of the above in 30 minutes.

If daycare drop off is downtown, why not ride the train with them and drop them off then get back on the train?

Old 10-26-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If daycare drop off is downtown, why not ride the train with them and drop them off then get back on the train?
Per Google, it's a cumulative 80-90 minutes via marta trains and busses from home to daycare to work, and that's not counting the drive to Candler Park Station to start the trip. It's less than 30 minutes in the car, and that's with a stop for coffee thrown in for good measure. Our home, daycare, and offices are all juuuust far enough apart to make transit a logistical nightmare. I'd rather have an extra hour or two per day to eat breakfast with my kids and take them to the park instead of herding them around on trains and busses twice a day. I understand that might not jive with your idea of urban utopia. When the weather and schedules allow, I try to ride. It doesn't happen as often as it could or should, especially now that kids are in the mix.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Per Google, it's a cumulative 80-90 minutes via marta trains and busses from home to daycare to work, and that's not counting the drive to Candler Park Station to start the trip. It's less than 30 minutes in the car, and that's with a stop for coffee. I'd rather have an extra hour or two per day to eat breakfast with my kids and take them to the park instead of herding them around on trains and busses twice a day. I understand that might not jive with your idea of urban utopia. When the weather and schedules allow, I try to ride. It doesn't happen as often as it could or should, especially now that kids are in the mix.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:04 PM

4,240 posts, read 2,819,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It'll get pretty close to the Reynoldstown station.
If by "pretty close" you mean about 3/4 of a mile away while it's currently a mile away, then sure. In that case, Freedom Parkway is "pretty close" to MARTA.

Quote:
Per Google, it's a cumulative 80-90 minutes via marta trains and busses from home to daycare to work, and that's not counting the drive to Candler Park Station to start the trip. It's less than 30 minutes in the car, and that's with a stop for coffee. I'd rather have an extra hour or two per day to eat breakfast with my kids and take them to the park instead of herding them around on trains and busses twice a day. I understand that might not jive with your idea of urban utopia. When the weather and schedules allow, I try to ride. It doesn't happen as often as it could or should, especially now that kids are in the mix.
But, that extra extra hour or two every day spent taking transit gives you much more freedom. Or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or