Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 11:58 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Where is the proof the station had no power? That is a major issue and one that every news outlet would cover (because some of them can't pass up an opportunity to bash MARTA.)
Well, I know the eastbound lane from was down at Candler Park station last week during evening rush hour for sure. I was there dropping a friend off--there was a crowd of people waiting for buses to ferry folks to the stations, and traffic was backing up on Oakdale and Dekalb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 07:01 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
ReNew Atlanta will be hosting their first public input meeting on the DeKalb Ave Complete Streets project this Thursday Nov 17, 6-8pm at Liberty Baptist Church.
Photo Pick: DeKalb Ave Complete Street by Carl Holt - SaportaReport

Old 11-16-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Under the Renew Atlanta Bond, passed by City of Atlanta voters in 2015, there is a plan to upgrade a portion of DeKalb Avenue to a Complete Street, a street that offers safe, comfortable, and convenient access to community destinations and public places–whether walking, driving, bicycling, or taking public transportation.

This would ensure streets are safe for people of all ages and abilities, balance the needs of different modes, and support local land uses, economies, cultures, and natural environments.
Community meeting on DeKalb Avenue improvements is Nov. 17 - Atlanta INtown Paper

Old 11-17-2016, 04:42 PM

12 posts, read 20,355 times
Just went. Had to dip out early because I had other engagements but what I gathered from it was that it was largely informational/comment gathering meeting. It seemed like the large discussion amongst people was whether there should be a permanent center turn lane or a turn lanes at intersections with a bike lane and there were some fringe opinions of having a buffered bike lane . Should be interesting what the city comes up with in a few months.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:09 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
Thanks for reporting back, Jhakai.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:33 AM

Stayed for the entire event. There was a divide between those who support Complete Streets and those that prefer the same old way of thinking (cars over people.) At one point a North-of-DeKalb resident made the comment, 'I'm not a bike commuter because I have a REAL job.' There was mindset divide between those that support complete streets (South-of-DeKalb_ and those that prioritize cars (North-of-DeKalb.)
There will be more meetings.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:39 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Stayed for the entire event. There was a divide between those who support Complete Streets and those that prefer the same old way of thinking (cars over people.) At one point a North-of-DeKalb resident made the comment, 'I'm not a bike commuter because I have a REAL job.' There was mindset divide between those that support complete streets (South-of-DeKalb_ and those that prioritize cars (North-of-DeKalb.)
There will be more meetings.
I live south of Dekalb, commute by bike, and think improvements here should favor auto traffic. You've got your priorities, other people have their own. Condescension about any ideas that don't mirror your own isn't going to change minds. People are speaking to the issues and problems they see, while you are outright dismissing them. I suspect if there was a referendum on this particular topic, giving preferential treatment to a few dozen bikes at the expense of many thousands of cars wouldn't go over well. You can insult and deride people for being outmoded all you want, but that isn't going to do much to address their legitimate concerns.

The Renew Atlanta bond was passed coming up on two years ago. It'd be nice, at this point, if they could actually demonstrate that they can accommodate turn lanes and bike lanes in the space available along the entire corridor. That's been the promise since before voters were asked to decide on it, but I don't think they've conclusively demonstrated that yet. It'd also be nice to know, if the inclusion of bike lanes is such a public necessity, why the scope of that project only runs from Inman Park MARTA to the city limits?

Last edited by red92s; 11-18-2016 at 06:55 AM..

Old 11-18-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
I live south of Dekalb, commute by bike, and think improvements here should favor auto traffic. You've got your priorities, other people have their own. Condescension about any ideas that don't mirror your own isn't going to change minds. People are speaking to the issues and problems they see, while you are outright dismissing them. I suspect if there was a referendum on this particular topic, giving preferential treatment to a few dozen bikes at the expense of many thousands of cars wouldn't go over well. You can insult and deride people for being outmoded all you want, but that isn't going to do much to address their legitimate concerns.
A few dozen? They presented the weekday average numbers and the vehicle count is 10-15K, bikes/peds 250. That is more than a few dozen.
Either way the contraflow lane is going away.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:56 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Condescension about any ideas that don't mirror your own isn't going to change minds. ... You can insult and deride people for being outmoded all you want, but that isn't going to do much to address their legitimate concerns.
The only condescension and/or insult I saw in CQ's post was the quote from the person who said they don't ride a bike to work because they have a real job.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
The Renew Atlanta bond was passed coming up on two years ago. It'd be nice, at this point, if they could actually demonstrate that they can accommodate turn lanes and bike lanes in the space available along the entire corridor. That's been the promise since before voters were asked to decide on it, but I don't think they've actually demonstrated that yet. It'd also be nice to know, if the inclusion of bike lanes is such a public necessity, why the scope of that project only runs from Inman Park MARTA to the city limits?
I can see from this comment you did not attend. The scope of the project is Peachtree to City Limits. Since the TSPLOST passed, there is a plan to extend the Stone Mountain PATH from Rocky Ford Rd to Inman Park/Renyoldstown Station. That section of the corridor has enough ROW to accommodate that, it's the section west of there where the MARTA go aerial and Hulsey Yard backs up to DeKalb. They did talk about improving bicycle infrastructure on parallel streets between Inman Park/Renyoldstown Station and Downtown, in order to prioritize left turn lanes at signals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta