Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 07:58 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,690,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Hasn't GDOT also adopted Complete Streets as a matter of formal policy?
Where the city wants them, yes.

It's important to also remember that there are many, many places where, for a small town, the state highway is their main street. Many times, that means it must cater to the needs of the buisnesses, residents, and town overall. State highway designatikns don't automatically mean freeway-like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 08:17 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,520,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yep, there are other options for car commuters besides DeKalb Ave that are just as fast. Including a giant 12-laned super-freeway. Cars should have to share some of the streets with other modes.

Of course, if you need to get through that area without worrying about traffic delays, take the train:

https://threadatl.com/2016/11/22/dek...e-needs-a-fix/
And if you're coming from West Midtown where transit is sparse at best (and I picked a better area just for this example) driving might be ~20 minutes faster at best, and 15 minutes slower at worst: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/33.7...1480696200!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/33.7...1480696200!3e0

Old 12-04-2016, 08:01 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Where the city wants them, yes.
Seems like the city of Atlanta would want Complete Streets everywhere they can get them.

By the way, comments on DeKalb Avenue are due December 8.

I'm sending mine in today.

Comments on DeKalb Avenue improvements due by Dec. 8 - Atlanta INtown Paper

Old 12-04-2016, 12:59 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,690,708 times
Quote:
Seems like the city of Atlanta would want Complete Streets everywhere they can get them.

By the way, comments on DeKalb Avenue are due December 8.

I'm sending mine in today.

Comments on DeKalb Avenue improvements due by Dec. 8 - Atlanta INtown Paper
And we're getting them in as many places as possible. The city is working on transitioning a LOT of streets into the complete street form.

GDoT seems to be doing the same, just whenever resurfacing / rebuilding comes along, as opposed to more immediately changing things.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:09 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
DeKalb Avenue make-over reignites debate over cars vs. all other modes of transportation - SaportaReport

Old 12-12-2016, 06:56 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Another excellent article, cq!

Hopefully the NOD crowd will eventually see the light.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Another excellent article, cq!

Hopefully the NOD crowd will eventually see the light.

Many of them have, it was just my observation that there was a dividing line (North vs South)

Old 12-12-2016, 07:29 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,021 times
I think your observations are being colored by perceived sleights from your neighbors-to-the-north on previous issues, including school zoning. I'm assuming the intent of this piece was to try and move beyond an "us/them" discussion as it relates to cars and bikes towards an "us" position. You backslide substantially towards that goal by trying to divide neighborhoods and ideals along demographic lines and manufacture controversy (intended or not). Trying to map inflammatory comments of a single jerkwad individual to thousands of impacted residents just isn't helping the case you are trying to build here. It's an opinion piece and you are certainly entitled to yours, but trying to bring demographics into this based on what was said at that meeting isn't doing much to move the conversation forward.

Last edited by red92s; 12-12-2016 at 07:53 AM..

Old 12-12-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
I think your observations are being colored by perceived sleights from your neighbors-to-the-north on previous issues, including school zoning. I'm assuming the intent of this piece was to try and move beyond an "us/them" discussion as it relates to cars and bikes towards an "us" position. You backslide substantially towards that goal by trying to divide neighborhoods and ideals along demographic lines and manufacture controversy (intended or not). Trying to map inflammatory comments of a single jerkwad individual to thousands of impacted residents just isn't helping the case you are trying to build here. It's an opinion piece and you are certainly entitled to yours, but trying to bring demographics into this based on what was said at that meeting isn't doing much to move the conversation forward.
I'll save you a seat at the next public meeting.
Where was school zoning mentioned in that piece?

Last edited by cqholt; 12-12-2016 at 08:09 AM..

Old 12-12-2016, 08:21 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
To a large extent your last sentence applies to you, blind to the needs of others. In that case, you are blind to the 90% who depend on the streets in favor of the less than 1% who bike or walk (roughly 7% telecommute and 2% ride the train). Even the bus riders need streets.

The contra flow lane really is a hazard and needs to go. They work in other places, but are just so unusual here that it needs to go even if it slows traffic. Left turn lanes will improve flow in the opposite direction but will merely mitigate the loss of a lane in the peak direction. But it just needs to go.

That doesn't mean we create more safety hazards by forcing bike lanes into the space. Even more so when there are more lightly travelled parallel roads that would serve much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta