U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 08:37 PM

1,795 posts, read 2,110,508 times

Advertisements

I've started exploring some neighborhoods and could use some help. For some neighborhoods I'll be using MARTA and others I'll be driving. These excursions will mostly take place Sunday mornings and early afternoons. I'd like to see the types of homes, grab a coffee, and feel the vibe. I'm going to list some neighborhoods and would like to know the following:

1) whether to drive or take MARTA
2) if driving, need a place to park and names of streets to walk
3) name of place to stop and hang out/cup of coffee/mingle with the locals
4) something that must be seen in that particular neighborhood (strange architecture, historical home, etc)

Last week I drove through Grant Park and just adored the streets and homes. From there I tried to find Kirkwood but got lost. None of my friends will do this, so I don't have a navigator. The more info I have before I go, the better off I'll be, especially with where to park and walk.

First up--these neighborhoods:
Cabbagetown
Kirkwood
West End
West Midtown
Brookhaven
Downtown

I'll have many more.

Thanks in advance--coming to a neighborhood near you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:40 PM

22,209 posts, read 16,223,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
I've started exploring some neighborhoods and could use some help. For some neighborhoods I'll be using MARTA and others I'll be driving. These excursions will mostly take place Sunday mornings and early afternoons. I'd like to see the types of homes, grab a coffee, and feel the vibe. I'm going to list some neighborhoods and would like to know the following:

4) something that must be seen in that particular neighborhood (strange architecture, historical home, etc)

Last week I drove through Grant Park and just adored the streets and homes. From there I tried to find Kirkwood but got lost. None of my friends will do this, so I don't have a navigator. The more info I have before I go, the better off I'll be, especially with where to park and walk.

Cabbagetown
Kirkwood
West End
West Midtown
Brookhaven
Downtown

I'll have many more.

Thanks in advance--coming to a neighborhood near you!
Kirkwood: Hosea Williams and Howard St SE, Bessie Branham Park, brunch at sun in my belly or le petite marche.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:12 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,504,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post

Cabbagetown - Drive, but get out and walk. Parking is difficult the closer you get to Carroll Street. I'd recommend parking on Wylie. Go to Little's. All of the streets are worth walking down to see historic houses. Tennelle, Wylie, and the tunnel are popular places in the neighborhood because of all the murals and street art. Carroll Street is where most of the restaurants and businesses are located in Cabbagetown. Check out Reynoldstown while you're there. And Oakland Cemetery, too.

Downtown - MARTA. There won't be anything going on in Downtown on a Sunday morning. Maybe go on a day GSU is in session and spend some time on Broad Street and the Fairlie-Poplar district, then head over to Centennial Park.
Answers in bold.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Answers in bold.
Cabbagetown, Reynoldstown, and Grant Park aren't bad on bikes if coming from King Memorial or Inman Park/Reynoldstown Stations.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:22 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,504,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Cabbagetown, Reynoldstown, and Grant Park aren't bad on bikes if coming from King Memorial or Inman Park/Reynoldstown Stations.
That's true. Another good way to see a bunch of intown neighborhoods is to take the Bicycle Tours of Atlanta | Atlanta bike tours including signature and historic sites, intown neighborhoods and many hidden jewels off the beaten path..

Old 03-12-2015, 10:31 AM

9,931 posts, read 6,929,113 times
To cover a lot of area, go by car. To get to know the area well, bike or walk.

Drive around if you need to orientate yourself and get a basic view to narrow down the neighborhoods. But once you are down to a few finalist neighborhoods take an afternoon to explore each one on foot / bike to really get to know them.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:22 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,263,757 times
West End: Wren's Nest (Home of Joel Chandler Harris of Uncle Remus Fame

Walk down Peeples Street/ Oglethorpe Avenue Historic district.

Shrine of the Black Madonna Gift shop.

Since it is Lint, St. Anthony's Catholic Church is the West End used to have a weekly fish fry on Fridays. Uncertain if they still do.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:31 AM

284 posts, read 457,198 times
I always like to criss-cross all the small streets through neighborhoods. Many intown locations (like mine) may not look like much from a main artery, expressway, or MARTA ride-- but once you get inside the neighborhood you get a better feel for the community. And if you're in mine, its like so many other Atlanta neighborhoods whose names end in "Park"-- find the park then work your way around it as many older "enclave" neighborhoods were built surrounding the greenspace--but the "main drag" is at the outer edge so the neighborhood may not look like much at all from the outside. So while thousands of people may drive by my neighborhood every day, I suspect many may not realize they are missing out on the ducks, geese, cranes, cascading streams and 80+ year old trees nestled in the heart of pre-WWII homes.

Phoenix Flies is still going on-- great chance to check out some of Atlanta's historic neighborhood gems and then explore on your own. ISSUU - The Phoenix Flies: A Celebration of Atlanta's Historic Sites by Atlanta Preservation Center

Old 03-13-2015, 06:59 AM

Get out the car to truly explore the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or