U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:00 PM

188 posts, read 121,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
the Street car was the Mayors idea?? I dont understand why in a metro of 5.5 million people they cant find good employees to run the trolley. Either they dont pay enough or its a job no one wants. Im curious which one it is.
Straight cronyism.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Atlanta/com..._and_training/

$120,000 is a reasonable salary and should get a better candidate than a lifelong student (Not even a real academic, but a decade long student of for-profit online universities. That doesn't reflect too positively on her judgement.). This person was unqualified for the job and yet they got it. No explanation other than a complete lack of regard for taxpayer money and public safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 12:02 PM

9,915 posts, read 6,901,969 times
Quote:
the Street car was the Mayors idea?? I dont understand why in a metro of 5.5 million people they cant find good employees to run the trolley. Either they dont pay enough or its a job no one wants. Im curious which one it is.
Considering that there hasn't been a streetcar system in metro Atlanta in 65 years, I am not surprised it is hard to find someone with enough expirence to run it.

It is very rare for government to run anything well. We should hire outside / international transit firms to run it.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:33 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Considering that there hasn't been a streetcar system in metro Atlanta in 65 years, I am not surprised it is hard to find someone with enough expirence to run it.

It is very rare for government to run anything well. We should hire outside / international transit firms to run it.
Where do you stand of Marta taking it over. After all moving people around is technically what they do. I always figured the Trolley drivers would be ex Marta Bus or CCT drivers. It seems like they recruit from random member of the Snow on the Bluff movie. Thats how it seems in the news.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:24 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,708,988 times
Quote:
We need more private businesses back into the transportation industry.
So go start a company, no one's stopping you.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:54 PM

9,915 posts, read 6,901,969 times
Quote:
Where do you stand of Marta taking it over.
We are lucky to have good MARTA leadership at MARTA today and MARTA is currently supporting the Streetcar. Having them straight up run it is probably a good step. MARTA is more independent than city government and does benefit when it attracts more paying customers. But a lot of its money is still tax dollars that are not directly related to how well they perform. I worry that the next MARTA leader could easily be a disappointment since there is still a healthy set of politics that goes into deciding their CEO. So getting to a fully private business is best, but the current MARTA is still an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So go start a company, no one's stopping you.
I already have. I just don't do transit. Trying to compete with the government giving away a competing product for free is not a good business model.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:56 PM

188 posts, read 121,825 times
Quote:
We need more private businesses back into the transportation industry.
If there was a solid profit opportunity to be made, there would be no shortage of private money flooding the transportation industry. However, transportation in this country (all forms) gets subsidies. Heck, MARTA can barely break even being supplemented by a multi-county 1% sales tax. MARTA's fare recovery rate is under 50%. Why would private money get into this industry when there isn't money to be made?

So "We need more private businesses in the transportation industry... just not my business and money."

Old 10-02-2015, 07:41 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,490,394 times
Quote:
We are lucky to have good MARTA leadership at MARTA today and MARTA is currently supporting the Streetcar. Having them straight up run it is probably a good step.
When it opened I was expecting MARTA to include it on their rail map, and I was confused when it was treated as a separate system. We need to treat streetcar, heavy rail, and major bus lines like three components of a single system, and having MARTA as the administrator of the Streetcar is a step in the right direction. Unfortunately I don't see it happening while some city politicians are treating it as a vanity project.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:18 PM

631 posts, read 330,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
When it opened I was expecting MARTA to include it on their rail map, and I was confused when it was treated as a separate system. We need to treat streetcar, heavy rail, and major bus lines like three components of a single system, and having MARTA as the administrator of the Streetcar is a step in the right direction. Unfortunately I don't see it happening while some city politicians are treating it as a vanity project.
I agree. Big problem when separate, and the fact you have to pay two separate systems won't make it successful. Needs to be one card, especially if it's truly going to be a belt line project that encompasses inside the perimeter. I'm just assuming that streetcar, is the same one as the belt line one.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:19 AM

4,994 posts, read 3,479,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
I agree. Big problem when separate, and the fact you have to pay two separate systems won't make it successful. Needs to be one card, especially if it's truly going to be a belt line project that encompasses inside the perimeter.
Exactly. There needs to be full integration with MARTA's fare structure.
Quote:
I'm just assuming that streetcar, is the same one as the belt line one.
Correct. They will be part of the same system and use the same vehicles.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:27 AM

28,137 posts, read 24,659,949 times
Quote:
We are lucky to have good MARTA leadership at MARTA today and MARTA is currently supporting the Streetcar. Having them straight up run it is probably a good step. MARTA is more independent than city government and does benefit when it attracts more paying customers.
MARTA should buy the streetcar from the city. For one thing, you take better care of things that you own. Number two, the city needs to get out of the streetcar business 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or