U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 02:47 PM

9,585 posts, read 8,670,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
And of course that's hardly the only element of maintenance. Why stick that on the city, when there is no dedicated means of funding the streetcar other than fare collection and general revenues?
My guess, and I may be a bit jaded - so that Buckhead's real estate tax base can pay for it... Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 09:19 PM

5,417 posts, read 2,751,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So therefore corndog/McGrit's criticism of the Clifton Corridor is worthless.
Not worthless, just not the nail in the coffin by any stretch. Matt's main argument is that the cost associated with the project is more than justifies the (new) ridership.

I personally support the project, but agree that it has quite a few problems associated with its construction, and would love to see Emory or CDC pitch in either with funding, or with property easments to keep the route out of the street.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:53 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,990,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
My guess, and I may be a bit jaded - so that Buckhead's real estate tax base can pay for it... Just a thought.

They'd better bring it up to the Lenox area then.

Notice, I did not say Peachtree as I am already ticked off they may be taking the 1.5 lanes we have for a bit of a bike lane. As if we have the d*mn space for a bike lane. We cannot even turn left and basically Peachtree is one moving lane. Anyway, the streetcar could help the Lenox area big time. Link it with a stop at Lenox Mall to help offset parking issues and we're all set. If we end up paying for it, might as well get a benefit.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:56 PM

5,010 posts, read 3,497,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post

Notice, I did not say Peachtree as I am already ticked off they may be taking the 1.5 lanes we have for a bit of a bike lane. As if we have the d*mn space for a bike lane. We cannot even turn left and basically Peachtree is one moving lane. Anyway, the streetcar could help the Lenox area big time. Link it with a stop at Lenox Mall to help offset parking issues and we're all set. If we end up paying for it, might as well get a benefit.
The lanes being "taken away" are useless right now as it is. The addition of bike lanes is a nice outcome of fixing the turn lane issue.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:18 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,614,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Why do people forget there's a lot of wealth moving into Midtown and the eastern neighborhoods who are also paying into taxes? Buckhead isn't the only area in Atlanta.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:45 PM

22,209 posts, read 16,238,370 times
Quote:

GDOT is removing 2 thru lanes that are underused and dangerous to replace with a center turn lane and upgrade the road to complete street. No one is taking away a lane for a bike lane.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:39 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,161,191 times
Quote:

If there were useable bike lanes in Buckhead, maybe more people would get out of their cars, and you'd have more space on the road. Add in streetcars with those bike lanes through a functional complete streets plan, and with MARTA already there, you might actually make a dent in traffic so that more people can turn left Transportation is a catch 22...if it doesn't exist, you have traffic, but people don't want to build it because it's easier to driver everywhere, but that's because there isn't extensive alternative transportation infrastructure, and then you complain about sitting in traffic. It's an endless loop...why do people not understand this? At least bike lanes would give other people options...maybe not you personally, but every bike in a dedicated lane is another car out of your lane of traffic.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:28 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,496,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
GDOT is removing 2 thru lanes that are underused and dangerous to replace with a center turn lane and upgrade the road to complete street. No one is taking away a lane for a bike lane.
That comment was gold, because they manage to complain about the lack of a turn lane while criticizing the project that will add one.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:43 AM

5,010 posts, read 3,497,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
That comment was gold, because they manage to complain about the lack of a turn lane while criticizing the project that will add one.
All the haters see is "adding bike lanes" and they end up frothing at the mouth. It's quite comical.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:19 AM

9,585 posts, read 8,670,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
All the haters see is "adding bike lanes" and they end up frothing at the mouth. It's quite comical.
Its not that folks are "haters." They just have different opinions. Why label them so negatively?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or