U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 08:20 AM

9,559 posts, read 8,622,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Why do people forget there's a lot of wealth moving into Midtown and the eastern neighborhoods who are also paying into taxes? Buckhead isn't the only area in Atlanta.
Of course there is. You are correct. But I cannot imagine that the midtown wealth comes close to the Buckhead wealth. Thos folks have lots of change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 10:48 AM

5,401 posts, read 2,730,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Its not that folks are "haters." They just have different opinions. Why label them so negatively?
It's fine to have a different opinion. The difference between hater and differing opinion is in the willful ignorance. A hater will not want to hear anything that goes against their views, especially if it proves an aspect of it incorrect, and will stick to their dislike of whatever it is no matter what.

I would hope that someone who just has a different opinion would be open to new information and ideas, altering their view as new thoughts become available.

The comment that was mentioned specifically shows the ignorance of the person making it in relation to the project which they are complaining about. If they don't like bike lanes, fine, but there needs to be a reason as to why that particular project isn't a good one, especially when it is taking care of another complaint they had.

Researching what you're upset about is important.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:59 AM

4,998 posts, read 3,478,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
It's fine to have a different opinion. The difference between hater and differing opinion is in the willful ignorance. A hater will not want to hear anything that goes against their views, especially if it proves an aspect of it incorrect, and will stick to their dislike of whatever it is no matter what.

I would hope that someone who just has a different opinion would be open to new information and ideas, altering their view as new thoughts become available.

The comment that was mentioned specifically shows the ignorance of the person making it in relation to the project which they are complaining about. If they don't like bike lanes, fine, but there needs to be a reason as to why that particular project isn't a good one, especially when it is taking care of another complaint they had.

Researching what you're upset about is important.
This. When people like Jim Cosgrove make comments such as:

Quote:
"Simply speaking, look at Pharr Road. We need to decide whether we are going to drive on streets in Buckhead or going to ride on bikes and streetcars. This is about the bicycle lobby. I cannot drive my kids to baseball practice on a bicycle."
they tend to look like complete imbeciles and don't add to a constructive dialogue.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:05 PM

28,129 posts, read 24,652,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
GDOT is removing 2 thru lanes that are underused and dangerous to replace with a center turn lane and upgrade the road to complete street. No one is taking away a lane for a bike lane.
Sounds like what they did with Ponce, which was a big improvement.

The ATL could use more complete streets.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:41 AM

22,159 posts, read 16,157,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like what they did with Ponce, which was a big improvement.

The ATL could use more complete streets.

That is the point many pro-complete streets people are trying to use as an example.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:14 AM

Default Big Bethel plans multiuse development

Big Bethel plans multi-use project for Auburn Avenue | www.ajc.com
Quote:
The first phase is the renovation of Bethel Towers, a 182-unit high-rise housing development at 210 Auburn Ave., next to the church. The tower of one- and two-bedroom apartments was built in 1971, and occupancy was based on income.

The interior of the building will be renovated, with new appliances, electrical, plumbing and phone and communications systems. Residents will get a year’s notice and receive help with relocations. Those who currently live there will get first priority when the project is completed, Foster said.

Additional phases will include construction of a multi-level shared parking deck that will have about 800 spaces on one acre of land located on the southwestern corner of the intersection of Jesse Hill Jr. Drive and John Wesley Dobbs Avenue.

Constructed adjacent to the parking lot will be student housing and ground-floor retail space, with about 321 units accommodating 1,000 beds.

The final phase will cover new construction and rehabilitation of existing church facilities and business space located on Auburn Avenue that includes a vacant lot and more than 12,500 square feet of existing commercial space.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:44 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,156,357 times
Overall, it sounds like a great project. I think it is key that the churches over there that own all of the vacant lots start building or selling to make way for development that really creates a seamless urban stretch. I really wish they wouldn't use 1 acre of land for a parking deck though, especially in an area that is so accessible via alternative transportation already.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Overall, it sounds like a great project. I think it is key that the churches over there that own all of the vacant lots start building or selling to make way for development that really creates a seamless urban stretch. I really wish they wouldn't use 1 acre of land for a parking deck though, especially in an area that is so accessible via alternative transportation already.
It is unfortunate that there will be a large parking garage, but it will be wrapped by apartments.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:46 AM

4,998 posts, read 3,478,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It is unfortunate that there will be a large parking garage, but it will be wrapped by apartments.
A lot of churchgoers that attend services demand it due to living well outside the neighborhood.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:04 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,156,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
A lot of churchgoers that attend services demand it due to living well outside the neighborhood.
While I respect that, that's also the reason downtown is loaded with parking garages rather than pedestrians. Look at Peachtree Center - there are literally blocks along that road only serving parking garages to serve people who live well outside the neighborhood...and now there is no street life at all. The church is MARTA accessible, streetcar accessible, and bike accessible. There is street parking up and down that corridor as well. I think even people who are coming from outside of the neighborhood having plenty of parking options without a 1-acre garage.

Don't get me wrong, overall, I like their plan. I'm glad they are doing something to bring more residents and businesses to the area. I just really hate that as Atlanta densifies, we continue to rely on large parking decks, even in areas that are extremely accessible, such as this one. The more parking options, the more cars, the more moaning we're going to hear about traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or