U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2015, 05:38 PM
 
12,918 posts, read 21,003,576 times
Reputation: 4083

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiime View Post
I think this is a terrible idea. There's already a Kroger about a half mile down the street, and who wants to deal with mall traffic when grocery shopping? It seems like they're finally getting some decent stores at Cumberland, and getting rid of the rif raff. I think a mid-end anchor department store would be much better suited for that space.

I am thinking that a Whole Foods would be a good/better fit for the mall+location, for the Cumberland/Vinings area, and for this new concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2015, 09:21 PM
 
559 posts, read 636,451 times
Reputation: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I am thinking that a Whole Foods would be a good/better fit for the mall+location, for the Cumberland/Vinings area, and for this new concept.
Rumor is Whole Foods is coming to Vinings on Paces Ferry by HD corporate and Panera, but I haven't seen that confirmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Marietta, Georgia
178 posts, read 522,635 times
Reputation: 87
As skiime said, there's a Kroger right down the street on the same street. Less than 3 minutes away (counting the lights). It's already 24/7 too. There's also a Costco that is right next to the mall. Confused.

Whole Foods would rule though. Save me the drive to the Roswell rd location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 09:31 PM
 
559 posts, read 636,451 times
Reputation: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
As skiime said, there's a Kroger right down the street on the same street. Less than 3 minutes away (counting the lights). It's already 24/7 too. There's also a Costco that is right next to the mall. Confused.
Despite what Kroger released, I have to believe they would close the Vinings-Paces Ferry location if the new Cumberland store becomes a reality.

The Cumberland store will be much bigger and brand new . . . whereas the Vinings store is a dinosaur in a dying shopping center. Publix Vinings is just a million times better grocery experience than that Vinings Kroger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,647 posts, read 3,020,220 times
Reputation: 3867
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Despite what Kroger released, I have to believe they would close the Vinings-Paces Ferry location if the new Cumberland store becomes a reality.

The Cumberland store will be much bigger and brand new . . . whereas the Vinings store is a dinosaur in a dying shopping center. Publix Vinings is just a million times better grocery experience than that Vinings Kroger.
I agree. That old Kroger and strip mall isn't worth the land it's on. It will be new condo's, apartments or an office building before we can blink if this happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 07:56 AM
 
7,710 posts, read 9,542,617 times
Reputation: 5669
I really don't think it is a good idea for the area. I'm not exactly sure why, but nontraditional anchor stores like Big Lots and grocery stores are associated with underperforming malls. It's like a publicly admitting the mall is doomed.

If you want to see what a grocery store in a mall is like, just come visit Megamart at Gwinnett Place. Did nothing to help the mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 08:58 AM
 
12,918 posts, read 21,003,576 times
Reputation: 4083
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I really don't think it is a good idea for the area. I'm not exactly sure why, but nontraditional anchor stores like Big Lots and grocery stores are associated with underperforming malls. It's like a publicly admitting the mall is doomed.

If you want to see what a grocery store in a mall is like, just come visit Megamart at Gwinnett Place. Did nothing to help the mall.
You make some good points.

Which is why I think a Whole Foods would be a good fit. Whole Foods is definitely not a sign a of decline...


And Cumberland is gettin' an Apple Store, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 09:11 AM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
4,147 posts, read 5,741,573 times
Reputation: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post


And Cumberland is gettin' an Apple Store, correct?
It opened last fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 09:19 AM
 
12,918 posts, read 21,003,576 times
Reputation: 4083
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It opened last fall.
Even bettah!


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Lake Spivey, Georgia
1,841 posts, read 1,257,242 times
Reputation: 1958
I am not a Kroger fan, but I will never understand the obsession on this site about Whole Foods. I have been to one before and my impression was 1. Really small. 2. Narrow isles due to the "smallness" 3. Hideously over priced 4. Can find a much better selection of produce at the State Farmer's Market or in numerous road side stands throughout the suburbs. I even like the meat selection/ prices better at metro Food Depot stores. 4. No double coupons (this is my beef with Kroger, too.) 5. If you are going strictly on aesthetics, many Metro Ingle's and Publix are much "prettier". If I had a Whole Foods at my front gate, I think I would pass it going to another grocery store daily. I am just not impressed at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top