U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:10 AM

178 posts, read 522,280 times

Advertisements

Kroger isn't trendy. Whole Foods has a better selection for people who are health conscious. Kroger is the usual suburban grocery store, while Whole Foods is like the inner city grocery store. Kroger is everywhere. Would you rather spend extra money on gas to make shopping more inconvenient than spend it at one place? For a lot of people time = money. Spending more time to save a few bucks isn't worth it. I got one of those crazy couponers in my family. She has a huge book of coupons and spends a lot of time searching the paper and organizing everything.

Whole Foods carries a lot of local products, of course they aren't going to let you stack coupons, it would be taking a lot of money from these local farms to allow it. I'm surprised this is even allowed at some stores, as my family friend will end up coming back with 100s of dollars worth of stuff and paying like a quarter of it. Seems like highway robbery to me!

Last edited by Jimmeh; 03-14-2015 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 10:41 AM

559 posts, read 636,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I am not a Kroger fan, but I will never understand the obsession on this site about Whole Foods. I have been to one before and my impression was 1. Really small. 2. Narrow isles due to the "smallness" 3. Hideously over priced 4. Can find a much better selection of produce at the State Farmer's Market or in numerous road side stands throughout the suburbs. I even like the meat selection/ prices better at metro Food Depot stores. 4. No double coupons (this is my beef with Kroger, too.) 5. If you are going strictly on aesthetics, many Metro Ingle's and Publix are much "prettier". If I had a Whole Foods at my front gate, I think I would pass it going to another grocery store daily. I am just not impressed at all.

Some of that depends on your eating and shopping habits. If you're into nutrition, non-GMO, organic, hormone-free, antibiotic-free, etc foods, then Whole Foods is like the Ritz Carlton of healthy food supplies. Yes, it's overpriced, but it's the best and offers a product/experience you can't get at Holiday Inn, or Publix/Kroger for the grocery analogy.

If you select food based on price, convenience, or coupons, then no, Whole Foods would not be the place for you.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:13 AM

12,906 posts, read 20,980,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I am not a Kroger fan, but I will never understand the obsession on this site about Whole Foods. I have been to one before and my impression was 1. Really small. 2. Narrow isles due to the "smallness" 3. Hideously over priced 4. Can find a much better selection of produce at the State Farmer's Market or in numerous road side stands throughout the suburbs. I even like the meat selection/ prices better at metro Food Depot stores. 4. No double coupons (this is my beef with Kroger, too.) 5. If you are going strictly on aesthetics, many Metro Ingle's and Publix are much "prettier". If I had a Whole Foods at my front gate, I think I would pass it going to another grocery store daily. I am just not impressed at all.
Haha... I actually agree with you about Whole Foods.

My suggestion is a pragmatic one--considering how many people perceive things (rightly or wrongly). It's a way to keep Cumberland Mall at a certain standard, while also being open to new ways of updating existing malls.

We have to make the best with reality.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:31 AM

22,149 posts, read 16,152,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
Kroger isn't trendy. Whole Foods has a better selection for people who are health conscious. Kroger is the usual suburban grocery store, while Whole Foods is like the inner city grocery store. Kroger is everywhere. Would you rather spend extra money on gas to make shopping more inconvenient than spend it at one place? For a lot of people time = money. Spending more time to save a few bucks isn't worth it. I got one of those crazy couponers in my family. She has a huge book of coupons and spends a lot of time searching the paper and organizing everything.

Whole Foods carries a lot of local products, of course they aren't going to let you stack coupons, it would be taking a lot of money from these local farms to allow it. I'm surprised this is even allowed at some stores, as my family friend will end up coming back with 100s of dollars worth of stuff and paying like a quarter of it. Seems like highway robbery to me!
Hipster Kroger aka Edgewood has a good selection of organic foods. Kroger has been investing at intown locations before other groceries would venture in, so Kroger has long been Atlanta's intown grocer.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:05 PM

145 posts, read 118,800 times
Found the zoning request on page 6: Click Here

Looks like Grocery and a Fuel Center.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:23 PM

603 posts, read 851,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post

this has happened before. its called a Kmart
Lol!

Old 03-26-2015, 08:21 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,376,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Hipster Kroger aka Edgewood has a good selection of organic foods. Kroger has been investing at intown locations before other groceries would venture in, so Kroger has long been Atlanta's intown grocer.
Old school Kroger right outside of EAV. Kroger has been around Atlanta for awhile.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:51 AM

28,113 posts, read 24,646,505 times
Those Kroger Fresh fare stores are not bad at all.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:12 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,744,549 times
Malls are having to adapt beyond their old model of traditional dept store anchors and that's fine, but I hate the idea of having to deal with mall traffic to get groceries. I actually love that Smyrna's Target isn't part of a larger strip mall. Barnes and Noble, while across the street from the mall, is also easy to get in and out of.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:12 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,179,761 times
I don't think this is a great idea. With a Kroger down on Paces Mill Rd and a Publix right up the road, there is no need to add a grocery store at Cumberland Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or