Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:25 AM

17 posts, read 29,558 times

Advertisements

Good morning all :-)

We decided to move to the Brookwood district area (Snellville, Lawrenceville) from MA in summer 2015.

We would like some insights of people who actually live there as to what's best buying a house in a subdivision or out of subdivision.

We like the idea of being in a subdivision as we think it might be safer and with amenities for the family as swimming pool, sports court, walking/biking trails, etc.

On the other hand there are some nice homes around the Brookwood schools that are very reasonably priced. In case we choose a home out of subdivision how hard it is to have access to swimming pool, walking/biking trails, tennis court, basketball court etc on a daily basis. Is there a YMCA nearby?

Also, is there a difference in safety between living in a subdivision vs out of subdivision?

BTW, we are planning to visit the area end of April during our kids spring vacation week to check out the area once again; any ideas on reasonably priced hotel with a swimming pool, basketball court. A suite with a kitchenette would be preferable so we can save some $ on meals.

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 01:45 PM

27 posts, read 36,244 times
Yes, there is a Y right on Sugarloaf (which is right across the Brookwood High school district line). There is a great neighborhood (which I wish I would have bought into) called Flowers Crossing at the Mill (FCATM). It has all amenities that you are looking for and is right across the street from Alexander Park. There are a few non-HOA homes around this neighborhood, but it is difficult to find one up to the same standard of homes in FCATM and the other HOA neighborhoods. Safety is the same in both as the police force is very vigilant in this area, plus the quality of people that attempt to live in Brookwood is generally higher than other areas around here.

I play tennis around this area all the time, and I think you would be pleased with the HOA type neighborhoods. Feel free to ask me about any of them. I also know that many people have kids in swimming and tennis lessons in HOA's in which they dont actually live, it's pretty common (adults play in tennis leagues in these HOA's too, I am one of them).

Old 03-11-2015, 02:37 PM

Hi Atlreb, Thank you so much for your input, very important information. Flowers crossing is the subdivision we were considering too!
On another note, we have an 1.5 year old mix pit terrier that we would like to bring with us when we move ... do you know if there ate restrictions in having a dog that has a bit in them? Unfortunately there is a bad reputation for dogs with pit in them, though it all depends on how you treat them :-) ...also do you know if there is any issue with home insurance with a pit mixdog? thanks so much!

Old 03-11-2015, 05:01 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,882,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnflorida View Post
Hi Atlreb, Thank you so much for your input, very important information. Flowers crossing is the subdivision we were considering too!
On another note, we have an 1.5 year old mix pit terrier that we would like to bring with us when we move ... do you know if there ate restrictions in having a dog that has a bit in them? Unfortunately there is a bad reputation for dogs with pit in them, though it all depends on how you treat them :-) ...also do you know if there is any issue with home insurance with a pit mixdog? thanks so much!
I live right near Flowers Crossing! And we also have a pit as does my sister in Grayson. No restrictions. Your insurance company won't know if you have a pit and you don't tell them. Just leave it at that.
A lot of neighborhoods have tennis teams and swim teams. Even if you don't live in them I'm pretty sure you can pay extra to join. I know some friends who did this many years ago and I imagine it's the same. The neighborhood I live in is too small to support any teams so had I wanted to I would have had to join another neighborhood. Still, there's (I think) a community pool at Bethesda Park which isn't too far away. Ronald Reagan Park is nearby (but often busy) and as the other poster said Flowers Crossing is right next to Alexander Park which has a decent disc golf course and is much larger than Reagan.

I wouldn't worry too much about a home in or out of a neighborhood. Just be mindful of HOA fees and covenants (no idea if you have experience with this or not). As far as this area is concerned, it seems like the vast majority of newer builds are in neighborhoods. The only hotel/extended stay type of place I know of remotely near here is Crestwood Suites off Presidential Circle next to Ronald Reagan Pkwy. It's literally behind Target and Publix and near the outrageous amount of food and shopping along Scenic Highway.

Btw, I've lived here since 98 when I started 1st grade at Craig and I've been here ever since (besides my time at college). I've been through Craig, Crews and Brookwood and I sub quite often at Crews. In the ten years I was out of Crews it hasn't changed much. Still the great academic school with great students. Sadly my parents and I will be moving away in the next year or two. I know my mom has already said she's not looking forward to leaving the area.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:36 PM

Wow Thanks so much sedimenjerry, a lot of great info:-)

Old 03-11-2015, 09:05 PM

@ sedimenjerry, thanks for all the emails valuable info...one more question for you ...since you are a Brookwood hs graduate you may be familiar with the "hope" scholarship ...a friend who has 3 kids that graduated from the same school received the hope scholarship and their expenses were fully covered, she actually told us she didn't pay a penny for their university studies. Is that still true? Some of the posts on this site suggest that there are some out of pocket fees...Thanks for your help:-)

Old 03-11-2015, 09:25 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,882,500 times
I went out of state (unfortunately) so I was not eligible for Hope and was not involved in any of that so I'm really not the best person to answer. I know recently with budget issues there were some cutbacks. I think it also became more rigorous. Even before the changes the biggest struggle was maintaining high enough grades in college to keep the scholarship but I do believe at the time it paid all tuition (but maybe not all fees). You'd have to ask someone else. There's also quite a bit of info online.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:08 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,691,337 times
The Hope has either less of a pay out or has become more rigorous.

It use to be if you had a 3.0 and maintained in a state school your full tuition and fees was covered. You even got a small book stipend. Housing, food, extracurricular, etc... were not covered.

Nowadays they have capped it for 3.0 GPA students based on the school and number of hours taken per semester.

More information here: https://www.gacollege411.org/Financi..._Overview.aspx

They created the Zell Miller scholarship, as a part of the same program. It is for students with a 3.7 GPA and offers a higher payout much closer to the old Hope scholarship that paid all tuition and fees.

All-in-all still a really good deal. It became a bit more common for many of the middle and upper-middle tiers of students to stay in-state.

As for the subdivision you should be able to buy into a nearby neighborhood's swim and tennis club as already mentioned. It becomes particularly common as a neighborhood hits 25-30 years old. They actually get desperate for members to stay financially viable. I live in the Parkview area next door. It is very similar in socio-economic characteristics and is predominately single family homes only, but averages 15 years older. There have been many swim & tennis communities that outwardly advertise memberships to outsiders. On occasion they even remove the first membership fee (there is usually a steeper buy-in at first). After that you pay just as much as you would if you lived in the neighborhood.

The Y is nearby, but you will find it more social in the neighborhoods. YMCA's also have more of a 'institutional' feel to me.

I think the biggest benefit to being in a neighborhood is most neighborhood streets in this area do no cut through, so there is very low traffic in the neighborhood and it is very common for kids to go outside congregate and play. Most homes outside of a neighborhood are likely to be on a busier street, which will increase the amount of caution of your kids playing in the front yard. Not always a deal breaker though, many homes on the main roads are older and have much bigger lots with large back yards.

There aren't many hotels in the area, but there are one or two. I think the La Quinta Inn in Snelleville has an indoor pool.

There is a cluster of hotels just outside of the Brookwood district at Park Place & US78 (stone mountain freeway). It is right next to Stone Mountain, it is easier to get to Atlanta. These hotels attract groups going to visit Stone Mountain Park. The Country Inn and the Holiday Inn express are the only ones I have ever sent extended friends and family too. The Country Inn has a nice indoor pool. The Holiday Inn and outdoor pool. I haven't heard of anything about a basketball court.

Also consider the Stone Mountain Inn. It is in Stone Mountain Park, so you have the whole park full amenities for the kids spring break in between house hunting.

It is operated by Marriott, but DON't look at the Evergreen Marriott Resort on the other side of the park. It will be at least double the cost... although very nice.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:18 AM

Wow! great info and advice in all our questions! Thank you so very much cwkimbro! Also thanks again sedimenjerry!
Having our questions answered with so much detail makes it so much better and easier to point us to the right direction and at the same time makes us feel welcomed to a new place with such nice people:-) have a great day!

Old 03-12-2015, 09:20 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,961,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnflorida View Post
Good morning all :-)

We decided to move to the Brookwood district area (Snellville, Lawrenceville) from MA in summer 2015.

We would like some insights of people who actually live there as to what's best buying a house in a subdivision or out of subdivision.

We like the idea of being in a subdivision as we think it might be safer and with amenities for the family as swimming pool, sports court, walking/biking trails, etc.

On the other hand there are some nice homes around the Brookwood schools that are very reasonably priced. In case we choose a home out of subdivision how hard it is to have access to swimming pool, walking/biking trails, tennis court, basketball court etc on a daily basis. Is there a YMCA nearby?

Also, is there a difference in safety between living in a subdivision vs out of subdivision?

BTW, we are planning to visit the area end of April during our kids spring vacation week to check out the area once again; any ideas on reasonably priced hotel with a swimming pool, basketball court. A suite with a kitchenette would be preferable so we can save some $ on meals.

THANKS!!!
As cwkimbro stated, the homes not in a neighborhood tend to be on main roads. Because of that, it can be harder to sell them. Just something to think about. Many of the older neighborhoods with pools you can buy into and join. I know that Cricket Hill allows it, and I'm pretty sure Flowers Crossing does. Flowers Crossing at The Mill, however, I don't believe does. I used to live in Churchill Commons which is just down the street from both areas. Great neighborhoods and great people. You will love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta