U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2015, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
21,038 posts, read 33,036,950 times
Reputation: 12704

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
I don't. I just misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that no one's rights were being violated by the laws that restrict the times people can drink. I'd like to apologize for my misunderstanding.
Yeah, I thought so. That's why this whole transaction was so baffling to me.

 
Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 AM
 
Location: In your feelings
2,199 posts, read 1,495,867 times
Reputation: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Can we not call the guy a hillbilly? I disagree with a lot of what he posts but name calling is just childish. He may have more conservative views but that doesn't make him a hillbilly. He comes off as being an intelligent person.
I'm sorry you misunderstood; I think a "hillbilly" is someone who specifically mentions that he's a "white guy" in his username and opines about what other people should do with their Sunday mornings. Not generalizing, I'm speaking specifically.
 
Old 03-15-2015, 10:19 AM
 
1,584 posts, read 1,658,405 times
Reputation: 1197
I'm going to have to play devil's advocate here and ask: do you also think less of black people who identify themselves by their skin color?

This question does not indicate any opinion I have on the matter. Race is a biological myth and skin color shouldn't define anyone. I'm just curious.
 
Old 03-15-2015, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Lake Spivey, Georgia
1,841 posts, read 1,264,650 times
Reputation: 1958
I agree that race is a man made construct; we are all children of God descended from Adam and Eve who would be called Asian by worldly constructs. Hillbilly or conservative Christian from beautiful and diverse Clayton County, Georgia, I really did like the old Blue laws involving Sunday alcohol. Over imbibing has never improved one's life economically or in any other way. I will agree that Prohibition over all was a failed social experiment, but one day a week without really would not hurt anyone and would give the rest of us a rest. Difference of opinion is what makes our Democratic Republic great! Stop being so narrow minded! ;0)
 
Old 03-15-2015, 03:32 PM
 
5,439 posts, read 4,925,780 times
Reputation: 3614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I agree that race is a man made construct; we are all children of God descended from Adam and Eve who would be called Asian by worldly constructs. Hillbilly or conservative Christian from beautiful and diverse Clayton County, Georgia, I really did like the old Blue laws involving Sunday alcohol. Over imbibing has never improved one's life economically or in any other way. I will agree that Prohibition over all was a failed social experiment, but one day a week without really would not hurt anyone and would give the rest of us a rest. Difference of opinion is what makes our Democratic Republic great! Stop being so narrow minded! ;0)
I liked the old Blue Laws involving alcohol as well and agree that it does not hurt anyone to not be able to purchase alcohol one day out of the week.

But in present-day Georgia (as well as in many other parts of the country), much (if not most) of the public just does not seem to be in favor of keeping the Blue Laws by large margins in many cases.

...So we have no choice but to give the voting public what they want....And in this case what the public seems to want is expanded alcohol sales on Sundays.

The state legislature would not be acting to expand alcohol sales in a state as conservative as Georgia if they were not getting overwhelming guidance from the voting public to do so.
 
Old 03-15-2015, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,966 posts, read 4,009,768 times
Reputation: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I liked the old Blue Laws involving alcohol as well and agree that it does not hurt anyone to not be able to purchase alcohol one day out of the week.

But in present-day Georgia (as well as in many other parts of the country), much (if not most) of the public just does not seem to be in favor of keeping the Blue Laws by large margins in many cases.

...So we have no choice but to give the voting public what they want....And in this case what the public seems to want is expanded alcohol sales on Sundays.

The state legislature would not be acting to expand alcohol sales in a state as conservative as Georgia if they were not getting overwhelming guidance from the voting public to do so.
You poor thang. Yer gonna have less control over people's personal lives now. Next thing ya know, all them gays gonna git married, and people gonna git even more freedoms, and all sorts of other horrible thangs gonna happen.
 
Old 03-15-2015, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Dunwoody,GA
1,872 posts, read 4,569,874 times
Reputation: 1957
Getting back on topic, I'm psyched that I can have a Bloody Mary and STILL "beat the Baptists" (as my grandmother used to say) to brunch! Guess that makes me an alcoholic and a heretic of some sort, right?
 
Old 03-15-2015, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,583 posts, read 8,666,245 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Getting back on topic, I'm psyched that I can have a Bloody Mary and STILL "beat the Baptists" (as my grandmother used to say) to brunch! Guess that makes me an alcoholic and a heretic of some sort, right?
It does CMMom, but you are in good company!
 
Old 03-15-2015, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Lake Spivey, Georgia
1,841 posts, read 1,264,650 times
Reputation: 1958
A heretic, of course not Sister. A heretic is a person who denies the deity of Christ, not some one who desires drinks named after old Scottish monarchs. Our society is based upon majority rule with minority rights. That said I do wish the majority would honor the minority in this situation with 1/7 of the week. That gate is opened up now, forever; I do have nostalgia for the "good old days" when Sundays were more set apart from the rest of the hectic week.
 
Old 03-15-2015, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,583 posts, read 8,666,245 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
A heretic, of course not Sister. A heretic is a person who denies the deity of Christ, not some one who desires drinks named after old Scottish monarchs. Our society is based upon majority rule with minority rights. That said I do wish the majority would honor the minority in this situation with 1/7 of the week. That gate is opened up now, forever; I do have nostalgia for the "good old days" when Sundays were more set apart from the rest of the hectic week.
I tend to agree with you. When I was but a child, I fondly remember Sunday's as time with my family (both biological family and church family), fried chicken lunches, visiting my grandma and quiet time. Seems like Sunday has become like every other day.


I'm getting nostalgic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top