Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:05 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I guess my confusion here is that I have never known anyone, including my Catholic, non-religious, and beer-nerd (relentlessly obsessed with different kinds of beer) friends, that were unable to enjoy a meal without an alcoholic beverage. What is wrong with water, lemonade, or sweet iced tea (the "table wine" of the south) with your Brunch. Why is it that important, that early in the day? Please enlighten me.
I think the point is, it doesn't matter if in your opinion, or my opinion, or 3000 other opinion's that it is not that important early in the day. If I want to get a drink on Sunday morning, no government should be telling me that I can't do so. Alcohol is a legal beverage, and there is no reason, outside of religious, that it should be regulated to certain hours on a Sunday. The regular laws still apply - don't drink and drive, the restaurant needs a liquor license, etc. And if somebody gets out of control in a restaurant, the restaurant has every right to kick them out - if the restaurant doesn't and you don't like it, you have every right not to patronize that restaurant. And that being said, I regularly attend Sunday brunch where bottomless drinks are served, and I've never seen somebody get obnoxious from it. I would much prefer a mimosa to sweet tea on a sunday morning with my breakfast

Old 03-16-2015, 08:05 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
I guess my confusion here is that I have never known anyone, including my Catholic, non-religious, and beer-nerd (relentlessly obsessed with different kinds of beer) friends, that were unable to enjoy a meal without an alcoholic beverage. What is wrong with water, lemonade, or sweet iced tea (the "table wine" of the south) with your Brunch. Why is it that important, that early in the day? Please enlighten me.
Whats wrong with people having the freedom to choose? Nobody is forcing a drink choice on anyone.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:26 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Why is it that important, that early in the day? Please enlighten me.
Not everyone keeps the same schedule. Early in the day to you might be late in the day to someone else. Lots of people work overnight shifts, and your breakfast time is their dinner time.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:34 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Whats wrong with people having the freedom to choose? Nobody is forcing a drink choice on anyone.
Exactly. People should have the right to drink what they want when they want. It doesn't affect anyone else (assuming they aren't driving drunk or intoxicated in public which are crimes in their own right).

Old 03-16-2015, 08:37 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,940 times
Many people do not consider a restaurant full people drinking "bottomless" cocktails very family friendly. You, however, did not answer my question. I asked why it was so important to you. Is your answer, "It is an expression of my freedom as an alcohol loving American to drink everywhere I go"? Is it, "I love the German, French and Italian culture an the tradition of imbibing alcohol at every meal"? Is it, "I have an Epicurean pallet and must have the correct wine pairing for each bite of food I take a'la Downton Abbey"? or is it more sarcastic, "I am glad that people who feel uncomfortable being around people drinking alcohol after Sunday service have limited places to take their families; I feel like I am really sticking it to them after decades of Blue laws in Georgia"? Perhaps more benign, "I have no personal objection to alcohol consumption, therefor people with other beliefs should just get over it." I have gotten over it, it is just that I long for simpler times, such a brief time ago, when Sundays felt more special. I am glad that my wife is a good cook. ;0)

Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Many people do not consider a restaurant full people drinking "bottomless" cocktails very family friendly. You, however, did not answer my question. I asked why it was so important to you. Is your answer, "It is an expression of my freedom as an alcohol loving American to drink everywhere I go"? Is it, "I love the German, French and Italian culture an the tradition of imbibing alcohol at every meal"? Is it, "I have an Epicurean pallet and must have the correct wine pairing for each bite of food I take a'la Downton Abbey"? or is it more sarcastic, "I am glad that people who feel uncomfortable being around people drinking alcohol after Sunday service have limited places to take their families; I feel like I am really sticking it to them after decades of Blue laws in Georgia"? Perhaps more benign, "I have no personal objection to alcohol consumption, therefor people with other beliefs should just get over it." I have gotten over it, it is just that I long for simpler times, such a brief time ago, when Sundays felt more special. I am glad that my wife is a good cook. ;0)
CWG, you are alone on this. If you don't want to go out to a restaurant serving alcohol then don't go, but don't impose your beliefs on others because all you will get is pushback.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:11 AM

371 posts, read 456,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Nobody is stopping you from having it. Christians need to stop forcing their will on others. It is not your religious freedom to decide what freedoms the rest of us have.
Agreed! CD won't let me rep you, lol.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
It's important to me because I enjoy alcohol from time to time and like being able to choose when I can buy a drink. Imagine if instead of talking about alcohol sales on Sunday or before a certain time on Sunday we were discussing halal meat or kosher foods being the only option on a certain day (obviously I know it doesn't work this way but just play along for a minute). Imagine you could only eat kosher foods on a certain day. Why would it be so important for you to not eat kosher? It's not forcing you to be jewish. It's just one day. You can still eat and enjoy food so why must you go against it? Do you need non kosher food that bad?

Old 03-16-2015, 09:30 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,940 times
Still no answer to my question; I guess I will not get one. I have given you my view. One-seventh of a week is not too much to ask in a democratic republic where we have majority rule with minority rights. To me, it was a compromise of sorts. A compromise is where both sides get some of what they want. It is the "alcohol everywhere all the time" crowd that is "imposing" their views on everyone. Also, what do you mean by, "pushback"? This is an open forum, a marketplace of ideas. It is the purpose of this forum to discuss. Push back? That would indicate that you want this forum to be a vehicle for one viewpoint rather than an avenue for understanding of different points of view. This is an open forum, do you wish to silence opposing voices like a modern day virtual Stalin? The grand thing about America is everyone is allowed to have and voice their own opinions. I do not consider your comments, "pushback", I consider them a lively discussion that is part of what makes America great!

Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,852 times
I'm nostalgic for the days before cigarettes. One-seventh of a week with no one smoking isn't too much to ask, is it? I mean, second-hand smoke actually can affect other people, so shouldn't we all be entitled to one day per week with clean air? I admit that I'm being facetious, but think about it. You also seem to be assuming that EVERYONE who has a drink at brunch will get knee-walking, sloppy drunk and "ruin" the experience of the other diners. I've been on this planet for more than 40 years, and I have never seen a bar fight or the like at brunch in Atlanta. As others have stated, if your sensibilities are offended by a lady having a mimosa or Bloody Mary with brunch, then you should probably stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta