U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2015, 10:03 PM
 
27,754 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Reputation: 16474

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
That would be similar to where he's headed in the afterlife.
Wow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2015, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
3,948 posts, read 3,253,993 times
Reputation: 3769
What's the purpose of this thread World Changers have 3 million partners globally. $65 million is a drop in the bucket. Also never used Wikipedia as a reference. Check out Paul D West, West Georgia College yearbooks Creflo Dollar is his real name as people who are from College Park know the family personally. You guys must be new, as World Changers has been around for 30 years and is either greatly love or hated in Atlanta. Atlanta is also one of the strongest religious communities in America, but churches have little social impact. Some of the same people judging Creflo are involved in powerless religion and have to manipulate scriptures and make people feel guilty about giving. Then you have those who are so Greek minded and think education, humanism and self effort is the answer. I'm against anything that seem to be powerful but have no measurable impact regardless if it's in the sector of Religion, Government, Arts and Entertainment, Economy, Family, Education, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 10:45 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,541,527 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
What's the purpose of this thread World Changers have 3 million partners globally. $65 million is a drop in the bucket. Also never used Wikipedia as a reference. Check out Paul D West, West Georgia College yearbooks Creflo Dollar is his real name as people who are from College Park know the family personally. You guys must be new, as World Changers has been around for 30 years and is either greatly love or hated in Atlanta. Atlanta is also one of the strongest religious communities in America, but churches have little social impact. Some of the same people judging Creflo are involved in powerless religion and have to manipulate scriptures and make people feel guilty about giving. Then you have those who are so Greek minded and think education, humanism and self effort is the answer. I'm against anything that seem to be powerful but have no measurable impact regardless if it's in the sector of Religion, Government, Arts and Entertainment, Economy, Family, Education, etc.
It's just heartbreaking to think of all the good someone could do with that "drop in the bucket". Think about how many hungry children they could feed or homeless people they could place right in their own community. I think it's pretty typical of these mega churches that have members all over the country/world...their priorities seem to get off track when they have THAT much money to spend and they forget their mission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 10:46 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,541,527 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
What's the purpose of this thread World Changers have 3 million partners globally. $65 million is a drop in the bucket. Also never used Wikipedia as a reference. Check out Paul D West, West Georgia College yearbooks Creflo Dollar is his real name as people who are from College Park know the family personally. You guys must be new, as World Changers has been around for 30 years and is either greatly love or hated in Atlanta. Atlanta is also one of the strongest religious communities in America, but churches have little social impact. Some of the same people judging Creflo are involved in powerless religion and have to manipulate scriptures and make people feel guilty about giving. Then you have those who are so Greek minded and think education, humanism and self effort is the answer. I'm against anything that seem to be powerful but have no measurable impact regardless if it's in the sector of Religion, Government, Arts and Entertainment, Economy, Family, Education, etc.
I admit that I don't know much about this guy - I've definitely heard of him just by living in Atlanta. But from what little I do know there is a lot of money flowing into this church and apparently a large portion of it goes to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 10:58 PM
 
27,754 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Reputation: 16474
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I admit that I don't know much about this guy - I've definitely heard of him just by living in Atlanta. But from what little I do know there is a lot of money flowing into this church and apparently a large portion of it goes to him.
How is that apparent? A lot of pastors have successful business ventures outside of the churches they pastor and several were successful businesspersons before they became involved in full-time ministry. In the absence of concrete facts I wouldn't be so quick to make assumptions like these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
3,948 posts, read 3,253,993 times
Reputation: 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It's just heartbreaking to think of all the good someone could do with that "drop in the bucket". Think about how many hungry children they could feed or homeless people they could place right in their own community. I think it's pretty typical of these mega churches that have members all over the country/world...their priorities seem to get off track when they have THAT much money to spend and they forget their mission.
Like I said many other sectors including small churches and not just religion is off track, but I'm not new to Atlanta and personally get tired of the World Changers debate. World Changers has been here 30 years and has been in the news frequently. Furthermore, as a non profit major at GSU if the IRS can't find anything on this church why do others who are not skilled at financial auditing of non profit 501c try too. Non profits have certain forms to submit and federal guidelines to abide by or risk losing their 501-c status. Some people opinions are just like their political views, which are irrational self interest point of views that shows people misinformation and ignorance on certain topics.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 04-27-2015 at 11:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 05:30 AM
 
Location: Cartersville, GA
1,253 posts, read 2,859,489 times
Reputation: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How is that apparent? A lot of pastors have successful business ventures outside of the churches they pastor and several were successful businesspersons before they became involved in full-time ministry. In the absence of concrete facts I wouldn't be so quick to make assumptions like these.
True. However, most pastors don't have two mansions and a net worth of $25 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,852 posts, read 2,647,939 times
Reputation: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Why wouldn't it be his real name? Dollar is a surname of many people I know. And who would make up the name Creflo?

A tithe is ten percent of your income. That leaves 90 percent to pay bills and live off of. Somehow I don't think tithing was your brother's problem.

And it was reported weeks ago that he dropped the plans for the plane after all the negative publicity. Why is this thread still going on?
It is NOT his real name. There are so many things that I wonder why people do that are not a good idea that I would not even begin to address that.

I am well aware what percentage of income is a tithe. I have been well aware of it for what feels like ever. Even though I get that you are implying some sort of budget management be it from drugs or otherwise was the source of his not being able to offer his tithe plus free will offering without my support, there is a grain of truth in what you said. One hundred percent of his income could not have supported him, his wife, and her two children so it was going to happen anyway, but i prefer to pick my charities.

It was such a debacle and a personal inconvenience that I have thoroughly researched it and that is not Creflo's real name. Also, he will still get the jet because there were always be sheep like my brother to follow and hope to reap a financial reward from heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Historic College Park
41 posts, read 36,196 times
Reputation: 31
Dollar is his real last name. I went to high school with his nephew and Creflo's brother was the basketball coach (Coach Dollar). Unless the entire family changed their name, Dollar is indeed the family surname. His nephew Chad Dollar is an assistant coach with Ga Tech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 09:33 AM
 
3,281 posts, read 4,781,312 times
Reputation: 1342
Please start taxing the churches as a for profit institution...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top