U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:01 AM

27,946 posts, read 24,985,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
True. However, most pastors don't have two mansions and a net worth of $25 million.
Not most, but the ones that do typically have those outside successful business ventures I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 12:04 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,576,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Like I said many other sectors including small churches and not just religion is off track, but I'm not new to Atlanta and personally get tired of the World Changers debate. World Changers has been here 30 years and has been in the news frequently. Furthermore, as a non profit major at GSU if the IRS can't find anything on this church why do others who are not skilled at financial auditing of non profit 501c try too. Non profits have certain forms to submit and federal guidelines to abide by or risk losing their 501-c status. Some people opinions are just like their political views, which are irrational self interest point of views that shows people misinformation and ignorance on certain topics.
It doesn't take skill at financial auditing of non profits to see that this "minister" is multimillionaire on the backs of his supporters. It's not right for him to be living in such luxury when the church's mission is to help those in need. That isn't "self interest" or misinformation, it's common sense.

I didn't say that he is doing something illegal by living in luxury - but he is doing something immoral.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
True. However, most pastors don't have two mansions and a net worth of $25 million.
Yes. It doesn't take an expert in anything to see that.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Please start taxing the churches as a for profit institution...
Good idea...then Mr. "non profit major at GSU" won't be able to preach to anyone.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:23 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,995,412 times
Actually, I heard a similar story about World Changers years ago. A lady my Dad knows could not pay her apartment rent but she was giving her money to World Changers. Yes, tithing is a tenth technically but add in other offerings and some ppl are apparently giving more than they can. Also, at least at one point, they were asking new members to bring in their paystubs so they could make sure you were paying what they decided you should be paying. These are real life stories and are not made up. I also personally called on behalf of a family that needed help sometime ago and was told that since the family was not a member, none of the millions the church has could go to this family. Not even 50 dollars or 100 dollars. And this man is buying a 65 million dollar jet? You have freakin got to be kidding me. Insanity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Why wouldn't it be his real name? Dollar is a surname of many people I know. And who would make up the name Creflo?

A tithe is ten percent of your income. That leaves 90 percent to pay bills and live off of. Somehow I don't think tithing was your brother's problem.

And it was reported weeks ago that he dropped the plans for the plane after all the negative publicity. Why is this thread still going on?

Old 04-28-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Actually, I heard a similar story about World Changers years ago. A lady my Dad knows could not pay her apartment rent but she was giving her money to World Changers. Yes, tithing is a tenth technically but add in other offerings and some ppl are apparently giving more than they can. Also, at least at one point, they were asking new members to bring in their paystubs so they could make sure you were paying what they decided you should be paying. These are real life stories and are not made up. I also personally called on behalf of a family that needed help sometime ago and was told that since the family was not a member, none of the millions the church has could go to this family. Not even 50 dollars or 100 dollars. And this man is buying a 65 million dollar jet? You have freakin got to be kidding me. Insanity.
There are probably thousands of personal stories like the ones above...not only about this church but others like it where the minister lives like a king. It's obscene and contrary to the mission of the church, but it's easy to see that some of these huge organizations have lost their way and have forgotten their mission. Helping those in need should be first and foremost with any religious organization, and normally holds a very high place in their mission statement.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:22 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,870,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
...It's obscene and contrary to the mission of the church. . .
Not really. Prosperity Theology strongly supports Dollar's extravagant lifestyle. Dollar believes that one's faith is measured in his financial well-being. He therefore believes that ownership of a $65 million jet would demonstrate an even stronger faith in God.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:43 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,662,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2chi View Post
Dollar is his real last name. I went to high school with his nephew and Creflo's brother was the basketball coach (Coach Dollar). Unless the entire family changed their name, Dollar is indeed the family surname. His nephew Chad Dollar is an assistant coach with Ga Tech.

It is not his real first or last name. At this point, I'm so past caring that I cannot even justify why I responded to you. No offense because I don't know you from Adam's house cat. Even if a slew of folks took on the last name, it does not make it a real, original birthed last name of his.

Okay, let's take a different route. If his mama had named him Million Dollar, it does not negate the fact that it seems to be a family that preys.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Not really. Prosperity Theology strongly supports Dollar's extravagant lifestyle. Dollar believes that one's faith is measured in his financial well-being. He therefore believes that ownership of a $65 million jet would demonstrate an even stronger faith in God.
It all goes completely against any worthwhile Christian mission, and that is to help those in need. I don't care who supports it - obviously a number of people do simply by the massive amount of donations. That still doesn't make it right. A huge number of people have supported other televangelists in similar situations, but that didn't make them right either. Jim and Tammy Bakker are a glowing example of living a lavish lifestyle on the backs of their supporters...they took a fall and I wish nothing less for Creflo and anyone like him. It's so horribly wrong to live that way while people on welfare/disability/etc donate what little they have to support it...it's hard to understand why they do it.

This church has several missions mentioned on its website, but the most important one seems to be making sure Creflo has Rolls Royces and other luxuries 99% of folks will never see.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:24 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,870,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It all goes completely against any worthwhile Christian mission, and that is to help those in need. I don't care who supports it - obviously a number of people do simply by the massive amount of donations. That still doesn't make it right. A huge number of people have supported other televangelists in similar situations, but that didn't make them right either. Jim and Tammy Bakker are a glowing example of living a lavish lifestyle on the backs of their supporters...they took a fall and I wish nothing less for Creflo and anyone like him. It's so horribly wrong to live that way while people on welfare/disability/etc donate what little they have to support it...it's hard to understand why they do it.

This church has several missions mentioned on its website, but the most important one seems to be making sure Creflo has Rolls Royces and other luxuries 99% of folks will never see.
I agree, completely. I was simply stating Dollar's position, not advocating for it. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or