U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2015, 12:17 AM
 
650 posts, read 1,268,751 times
Reputation: 339

Advertisements

when do we start the $2billion dollar fundraise for the spaceship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2015, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Cartersville, GA
1,253 posts, read 2,860,851 times
Reputation: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
when do we start the $2billion dollar fundraise for the spaceship?
Dollar said this campaign is on hold until life is discovered on Mars.

Sounds like he has been reading L. Ron Hubbard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,911 posts, read 9,596,423 times
Reputation: 5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
There are probably thousands of personal stories like the ones above...not only about this church but others like it where the minister lives like a king. It's obscene and contrary to the mission of the church, but it's easy to see that some of these huge organizations have lost their way and have forgotten their mission. Helping those in need should be first and foremost with any religious organization, and normally holds a very high place in their mission statement.
Coming from a long line of preachers and teachers I will respectfully disagree with your summary. Yes, there are the 1% that live lavishly. There are the 99% that struggle financially... or just make a decent living... that are pillars of their community and pour their life into their congregation and the community at large. A pastor is on duty 24/7, is routinely criticized by outsiders and many times their own flock. A person must love the church and the job and feel a definite calling from above to survive. Because of these pressures, many don't make it long term.

Sorry, but I know too many that are selfless, humble and loving in every regard to have the majority bundled with the few. Yes, it is personal for me, why I must make the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 04:09 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,544,834 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Coming from a long line of preachers and teachers I will respectfully disagree with your summary. Yes, there are the 1% that live lavishly. There are the 99% that struggle financially... or just make a decent living... that are pillars of their community and pour their life into their congregation and the community at large. A pastor is on duty 24/7, is routinely criticized by outsiders and many times their own flock. A person must love the church and the job and feel a definite calling from above to survive. Because of these pressures, many don't make it long term.

Sorry, but I know too many that are selfless, humble and loving in every regard to have the majority bundled with the few. Yes, it is personal for me, why I must make the point.
Oh I agree with what you're saying, and I didn't mean to sound otherwise. Ministers like the one in question are very rare in the overall scheme of things. Most live normal lives and are just like the rest of us. I certainly didn't intend to criticize all ministers as they are mostly very good people that don't live lavish lifestyles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 04:11 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,544,834 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
I agree, completely. I was simply stating Dollar's position, not advocating for it. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 05:43 PM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,980,282 times
Reputation: 1426
He could have taken one of those private company trips to the outer space for a mil. He should have held off for that and just got the jet fixed. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Dollar said this campaign is on hold until life is discovered on Mars.

Sounds like he has been reading L. Ron Hubbard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 06:09 PM
 
28,138 posts, read 24,666,222 times
Reputation: 9534
The bottom line is that Creflo Dollar's flock loves him. Nobody is making them show up and he is obviously telling them something they want to hear, whether it's religion or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 06:18 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,544,834 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The bottom line is that Creflo Dollar's flock loves him. Nobody is making them show up and he is obviously telling them something they want to hear, whether it's religion or not.
Yes he definitely has people in the palm of his hand...my problem with him is that he seems to take advantage of it when he could live a more normal life and put the millions of dollars spent on himself toward programs that would help those in his own city. Think of all the lives he would affect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 07:03 PM
 
28,138 posts, read 24,666,222 times
Reputation: 9534
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yes he definitely has people in the palm of his hand...my problem with him is that he seems to take advantage of it when he could live a more normal life and put the millions of dollars spent on himself toward programs that would help those in his own city. Think of all the lives he would affect.
I can't disagree, but it seems like a lot of these mega preachers live mighty high on the hog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,544,834 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I can't disagree, but it seems like a lot of these mega preachers live mighty high on the hog.
They do...he is just one of many, but I think he gets the most press in Atlanta.

The Hawks are wearing me out. I can't watch the last 2 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top