U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 05:33 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,656,109 times

Advertisements

":One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back." Carl Sagan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 05:41 PM

6,913 posts, read 9,602,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
If the common man has to pay property taxes I see no reason to exempt churches or any other institution. If you use services that taxes pay for you should have to pay taxes. Let's not pretend Creflo Dollar, Joel Osteen or any head of a mega-church runs a non-profit.

Atheism is, however, non-prophet. I hope someone gets my joke.
The big mega church gets the press and attention, but they are like 0.01% of the churches in the country. I understand the ire that these places and preachers stir up, but to make broad brush assumptions that all churches are like this... when the vast majority have a congregation of less than 100 and many struggle to keep the doors open... proposals to tax churches would do the "least of these" the most harm.

And, yes, I got your joke. I'll try and find a time to use it myself

Old 03-14-2015, 07:57 PM

2,305 posts, read 1,425,979 times
I don't know why the OP even created this thread because nothing constructive will come this.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:03 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,015,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
Creflo Dollar asks 200,000 parishioners to donate $300 each to purchase the jet.

Creflo Dollar Megachurch minister (Atlanta) asks for $60 million to purchase a jet.

A spokesman for Creflo Dollar's World Changers Church International told Channel 2's Dave Huddleston they are serious about buying the luxury plane.

In a video on the church website, Creflo Dollar asks 200,000 parishioners to donate $300 each to purchase the jet.

The Gulfstream G650 would replace the ministry's current plane purchased in 1999, according to their website.
Probably needs a huge, long penant claiming Creflo Dollar is god and this is his chariot. More about the dollar and less emphasis on the credo....bling bling...wut it is!

Old 03-14-2015, 09:40 PM

28,149 posts, read 24,687,439 times
Nobody raises an eyebrow when billionaires, corporate CEOs and arab sheiks zoom around in expensive jets. Why should a mega preacher be any different?

You have to admire the man's chutzpah.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:47 PM

11 posts, read 9,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Churches are largely tax exempt. The idea is that the members tithe trusting that the leadership will spend the money responsibly and that the money and power they wield is used to benefit society as a whole. This is why corporations pay taxes

The ability to charter a private jet (much less purchase one and hire a pilot) suggests that maybe this particular church isn't holding up their end of this implicit agreement.

Let me see, Joel Osteen has a $15,000, 000 home and two jets and a private airport

Kenneth Copeland has a private airport with nine jets

Benny Hinn has seven homes and two private jets

TD Jakes has a jet and lives next door to oil tycoon H.L. Hunt (Don't know who he is? google him)

Pat Robertson lives on top of his own mountain in Virginia with four planes and a airport

Joyce Meyers has two jets

Paula White has a jet.

It appears Mr. Dollar comes cheap, he lives in Fayette County

Old 03-15-2015, 12:26 AM

6,458 posts, read 5,915,265 times
I want to be a pastor and exploit people.

Really, this is sick.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:21 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,268,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta 12345 View Post
Let me see, Joel Osteen has a $15,000, 000 home and two jets and a private airport

Kenneth Copeland has a private airport with nine jets

Benny Hinn has seven homes and two private jets

TD Jakes has a jet and lives next door to oil tycoon H.L. Hunt (Don't know who he is? google him)

Pat Robertson lives on top of his own mountain in Virginia with four planes and a airport

Joyce Meyers has two jets

Paula White has a jet.

It appears Mr. Dollar comes cheap, he lives in Fayette County
Well I have a few various feelings on this...

A) just because other people do it... doesn't make it right. I often feel people abuse religion, even when they are relatively good people. I don't like all of the people listed and I don't want to stick up for them in many ways

however...

B) a point is being missed in at least some these as comparisons., if not all.

I can't investigate all of these individuals to really dive into this, but I know some of them... most notably Joel Osteen and Pat Robertson own private property and own holdings through for-profit companies. They are best selling authors and they profit from their success.

The key thing here is there is a defined line between ministry (non-profit accepting donations) and their private life, which is taxed as a normal for-profit business/individual and isn't dependent on donations.

That is why I originally posted ministry watch's stance. They look for financial disclosure and a clean line between the ministry and the profit of individuals.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:18 AM

3,966 posts, read 3,264,035 times
World Changers operating budget is 2 million per month, and the ministry just raised 1 million dollars for TV equipment. You guys are just wasting thoughts and feelings on this thread, because the money for the jet will come. If you are a native Atlantan people either greatly hate or love World Changers, but after 29 years of ministry in little ole College Park, it is still standing without no sex or IRS auditing non-profit financial scandal. I will believe the report of the IRS over anyone's post on this thread. World Changers. Btw World Changers is broadcasted Globally, I even saw the broadcast when I was in Nepal, and 200,000 people giving $300.00 will be no problem. Non-profit have federal rules, and you are really dumb if you think the IRS don't watch Mega ministry like a hawk.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:05 AM

4,147 posts, read 5,743,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Nobody raises an eyebrow when billionaires, corporate CEOs and arab sheiks zoom around in expensive jets. Why should a mega preacher be any different?

You have to admire the man's chutzpah.
Do you ever stop trolling?

My goodness...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or