Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 01:28 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Wow, why does everyone care so much about this? The way this thread has been, you'd think he was asking the state of Georgia for the money!
Churches are largely tax exempt. The idea is that the members tithe trusting that the leadership will spend the money responsibly and that the money and power they wield is used to benefit society as a whole. This is why corporations pay taxes

The ability to charter a private jet (much less purchase one and hire a pilot) suggests that maybe this particular church isn't holding up their end of this implicit agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 02:03 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,243 times
“The divorce between church and state should be absolute. It ought to be so absolute that no Church property anywhere, in any state, or in the nation, should be exempt from equal taxation; for if you exempt the property of any church organization, to that extent you impose a tax upon the whole community.”

— — James A. Garfield

The churches are dodging seventy billion in taxes each year. The rest of us are footing the bill. There is some inconcistensy in saying that it's against their religion to pay for birth control when they're okay with the irreligious paying their taxes.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:22 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
“The divorce between church and state should be absolute. It ought to be so absolute that no Church property anywhere, in any state, or in the nation, should be exempt from equal taxation; for if you exempt the property of any church organization, to that extent you impose a tax upon the whole community.”

— — James A. Garfield

The churches are dodging seventy billion in taxes each year. The rest of us are footing the bill. There is some inconcistensy in saying that it's against their religion to pay for birth control when they're okay with the irreligious paying their taxes.
Churches are exempt from some taxes like property taxes. Churches still pay taxes to furnish those buildings, when they buy supplies (Office supplies, kitchen supplies, cleaning supplies, etc). Individual employees of churches pay income tax. World changers will pay a nice amount of taxes on this jet (if the money comes in}. A curch is a group of people, those indvidual people all pay their fair share of taxes: income, property, sales, etc, etc. Are you going to take tax exempt status away from all non profits?

Perpetuating the lie that churches pay no tax at all is a disservice to all, not only churches.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:37 PM

They pay taxes, but if they were treated like the rest of us they would be paying 70 billion more. I never said they don't pay any taxes at all.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Are you going to take tax exempt status away from all non profits?
If the common man has to pay property taxes I see no reason to exempt churches or any other institution. If you use services that taxes pay for you should have to pay taxes. Let's not pretend Creflo Dollar, Joel Osteen or any head of a mega-church runs a non-profit.

Atheism is, however, non-prophet. I hope someone gets my joke.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:51 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Not all churches are against birth control you know.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:06 PM

Perhaps I should have used different language. I was only meaning to point out an inconsistency in the logic of a certain group.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:10 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Hopefully, I'm missing the sarcasm here.
Same here

Old 03-14-2015, 03:43 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Wow, why does everyone care so much about this? The way this thread has been, you'd think he was asking the state of Georgia for the money!
Usually, people don't like seeing someone exploit peoples' weakness for their own gain. I was told by someone else that, that makes me "jealous".

Old 03-14-2015, 04:08 PM

1,057 posts, read 867,954 times
I'm utterly shocked that people still support this clown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta