U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 02:10 AM

37 posts, read 52,037 times

Advertisements

I'm not as familiar with Atlanta to know certain differences in the city in certain areas but Looks to me like Highlands is more walkable/accesible at all times with more options like regular food chains,supermarkets,regular fast foods but no train station seem close.?
Sweet Auburn is more like local eateries,not even a supermarket>"? Although looks walkable day time how do you guys say it is at night. Can you walk/ride bike safely to say downtown Centennial Park and Marta? How the demographics play out for younger people vs family.Bars vs residential,crime ETC.
Considering options-Thanks

PD : I know this 2 places are relatively close but looks to me like 2 different lifestyles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 07:33 AM

298 posts, read 283,678 times
The Sweet Auburn neighborhood is fairly tiny, especially compared to The Highlands, which would include the Virginia Highland and Poncey Highland neighborhoods. Sweet Auburn is defined by the bars along Edgewood Avenue and the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site. There is little in the way as far as residential options and amenities and I would not recommend the area as a first time living location for someone new to the city. While it is improving, it is still rough around the edges and I would view it more as a place to visit than live (at the moment). The Highland neighborhoods have a variety of living options and tons of amenities and are some of the safer neighborhoods in the city. If you're going to be moving to the city for the first time, finding a rental in this area would be my recommendation. When you get more comfortable with the city and it's variety of neighborhoods, you may then decide you'd like to live in Sweet Auburn.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:41 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,252,650 times
Better public schools over all in Virginia Highlands (North of Ponce de Leon Avenue) and Poncy Highlands (just south of Ponce de Leon Avenue) especially elementary. You are talking Springdale Park v/s I think Hill elementary, or is it Dunbar?. (Please correct me if I am wrong) I did have a friend several years ago that lived toward the dead end of Auburn Avenue. Seemed it was a development with both artist studios and apartments. It looked really cool and we are talking at least a decade ago. Does anyone else know what I am talking about? Seemed it "claimed" Inman Park, but I am sure it was in the Old Fourth Ward/ King Historic District as it was just down from the Martin Luther King birthplace.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:37 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Better public schools over all in Virginia Highlands (North of Ponce de Leon Avenue) and Poncy Highlands (just south of Ponce de Leon Avenue) especially elementary. You are talking Springdale Park v/s I think Hill elementary, or is it Dunbar?. (Please correct me if I am wrong) I did have a friend several years ago that lived toward the dead end of Auburn Avenue. Seemed it was a development with both artist studios and apartments. It looked really cool and we are talking at least a decade ago. Does anyone else know what I am talking about? Seemed it "claimed" Inman Park, but I am sure it was in the Old Fourth Ward/ King Historic District as it was just down from the Martin Luther King birthplace.
Studioplex.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:17 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
I'm moving to Sweet Auburn/O4W this week. What I like about it is that I'm next to King Memorial Marta Station, near Sweet Auburn Market, near bars on Edgewood, I'm not that far from Krog Street Market, Im near the Path trail which connects to the Beltline trail, next to the streetcar, etc. To get back to Marta, you can't beat leaving next to Marta especially if you work near Marta plus the city is about to flooded with multiple big events darn near every weekend once April hits and nothing beats going to those events via Marta. It's still up and coming. There are a few sketchy but they are avoidable. The area doesn't have a grocery store but I will go to Murder Kroger.

Would I recommend Sweet Auburn? Yeah if you like being close to downtown and if you want to be around "off the beaten path" type nightlife. Yes especially if you are young. If you have a family with kids, probably not.

I'm not sure if an up and coming neighborhood is the best neighborhood for someone new to Atlanta. There are other neighborhood that offer a better transition to Atlanta depending on your background.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:45 AM

37 posts, read 52,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I'm moving to Sweet Auburn/O4W this week. What I like about it is that I'm next to King Memorial Marta Station, near Sweet Auburn Market, near bars on Edgewood, I'm not that far from Krog Street Market, Im near the Path trail which connects to the Beltline trail, next to the streetcar, etc. To get back to Marta, you can't beat leaving next to Marta especially if you work near Marta plus the city is about to flooded with multiple big events darn near every weekend once April hits and nothing beats going to those events via Marta. It's still up and coming. There are a few sketchy but they are avoidable. The area doesn't have a grocery store but I will go to Murder Kroger.

Would I recommend Sweet Auburn? Yeah if you like being close to downtown and if you want to be around "off the beaten path" type nightlife. Yes especially if you are young. If you have a family with kids, probably not.

I'm not sure if an up and coming neighborhood is the best neighborhood for someone new to Atlanta. There are other neighborhood that offer a better transition to Atlanta depending on your background.
Thanks a lot to all of you for your advise and comments.I appreciate.
Glad to know you moving to Sweet Auburn-
Is actually a neighborhood that I treasure for the fact of being such an historic enclave about someone so special as Dr King. First time I went there I was very surprised to see how the birth place of MLK was sort of something I wasn't expecting in the sense of the actual site being run down. The church and the house were Ok and so was the neighborhood despite of many considering it a sketchy area as you mentioned,I looked at it as the very untouched essence of the energy and spirit of once upon a time.
The houses around humble enough who escaped gentrification and corporate commercialization.The people friendlier with the small town feeling. It almost transported me to the old days without having even experienced it. I must say I am happy that for whatever reason it has been kept mainly just as it was back then regardless of how much other proximate areas have changed.
Being Atlanta such a young city,designating historic buildings for preservation might not always work,but it did here.
I'm very surprised for this to happen being such a desirable location right next to Downtown and thus right at the center of Atlanta. Is like you almost don't even need to hop on marta,you can just ride a bike,reason why I asked.So I would say It should never be touched,changed, or gentrified..just cleaned a bit and work on the crime establishing control or pushing out those who need to be push out,but maintaining the spirit and essence of those who always been there and the properties around.

By the way Sweet Auburn sort of crosses into downtown since some of the places on Auburn Ave crossing the highway still call themselves sweet Auburn.It might not be official,but it certainly does have a distinction from the rest of downtown to an extent..so call it west sweet auburn?
I am not from Atlanta,but I am not scared of a lil sketchy neighborhood. To me it wasn't too bad,I seen crazy stuff in other Atl areas..but I probably haven't seen it all including the bars.I cant recall no bars section in Sweet Auburn! So I missed seeing that part unless I can't remember.

Also I moved a couple of times to sort of sketchy areas in a couple of cities I lived due to the fact that is less expensive than the rest of the areas of whatever city. SO that give you a chance to know what neighborhood you might really want to move as you save a bit.Also I been to Atlanta close to 10times so I know a bit.Im the adventurous kind yet don'tget me wrong not everything has been a rainbow thru my adventures Now this be for single people who got nothing to watch but their backs.Having or bringing in a family is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta