U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 08:29 AM

18 posts, read 61,477 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering intown living as opposed to suburbanville and would appreciate any feedback about Grant Park. We have 3 small children and we need to know about schools, safety, activities etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 10:23 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,811,059 times
Grant Park actually has a strong parent network. Here are some resources you might want to check out:

Grant Park Parent Network (GPPN) - News and Events - Grant Park Parents Network

Grant Park Cooperative Preschool (GPCP) - Grant Park Cooperative Preschool - Grant Park Cooperative Preschool

Neighborhood Charter School - Neighborhood Charter School (public)

Main - Atlanta Charter Middle School (public)

Imagine Wesley - Imagine Wesley Charter School (K-8) (public)

There are also a number of private schools in the area. There's a link from the Grant Park neighborhood web site showing area schools:

Grant Park Neighborhood Association (GPNA) - News and Events - Grant Park Neighborhood Association

Old 01-13-2008, 11:02 AM

Thank you. Yes I just got off of the Grant Park Cooperative Pre-school site as well as the Neighborhood Charter School site. It was encouraging. I'm a little concerned about the cost of the preschool though. We have a 5 year old who will be in first grade in the fall and we are interested in the charter school, however we have twin soon to be 4 year olds and tution for the coop seems lide it might be pricey, I'm not sure. Are there any pubic pre schools in the area.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:24 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,811,059 times
Georgia has a public pre-kindergarten program as well as kindergarten programs. You can find more information at: http://www.decal.state.ga.us/PreK/PreKMain.aspx

There's also a provider at: http://www.sitesearch.decal.state.ga.us/georgiadecal/public/providersearch.aspx (broken link)

I have no personal experience with the pre-k program. You might want to start a thread about intown preschools to solicit responses from parents, since they might not necessarily look at a thread entitled "Grant Park."

Old 01-13-2008, 12:37 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,044,758 times
Does NCS have a pre-k program?

Also, the charter school does admitance by a lottery, so a phone call is in order to find out about space availability. I have no knowledge about the other public schools in the area.

Georgia has a free pre-k program. Check out the websitehttp://www.decal.state.ga.us/ for more information. I will not lie to you, these spaces are hard to come by.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:31 AM

69 posts, read 266,921 times
Grant Park is a great area. My husband and I have been residents for 4 years now and are going to be starting a family shortly and plan to stay in the area! Looks like IntownHomes247 gave you lots of good links - those will come in handy for us down the road too. I just know that the park is always filled with families with younger kids and seems like a fun in-town place to be. Close to lots of attractions too. But as you have mentioned in previous posts - I would get schools figured out before you make the move. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2008, 11:38 AM

2,642 posts, read 7,361,025 times
Grant Park is a really nice place. I've got friends who send their kids to Neighborhood Charter.

Consider other intown neighborhoods in the same price range, such as Candler Park, Lake Claire (Mary Lin Elementary for both), Virginia-Highlands and Morningside (Morningside ES), or the part of Decatur that is in the Fernbank district. Of course, there's always City of Decatur schools (Decatur, Winnona Park, parts of Oakhurst, etc).

I've also heard really good things about Centennial ES. It gets good score in Math, etc, because of a program they have connected to GATech.

Just a question, why Grant Park, in particular?

I live intown, in Candler Park, with my husband and first-grade son. We're VERY happy here.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 PM

No particular reason other than it was where we began and maybe where we were guided. After the initial reseach regarding schools it looked promising. However we are very open to suggestions. Grant Park seemed to fit our budget requirements also, below $250. Thank you, though we will investigate some of the other neighborhoods that you mentioned.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 AM

145 posts, read 534,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlunn View Post
Grant Park seemed to fit our budget requirements also, below $250. Thank you, though we will investigate some of the other neighborhoods that you mentioned.
I'm thinking you would want a 3/2 minimum with the size of your family. 250K for a 3/2 would be difficult to find in Grant and it would be a small 3/2 if you ever found one. You may also want to check out the neighborhood right next door to the east of Grant Park called Ormewood Park. According to the sandatlanta.org (South Atlantans Neighborhood Development) Ormewood Park residents are also granted admission to the neighborhood charter school. It is another charming neighborhood with old homes (though not as old as Grant Park) with generally lower home prices. In Ormewood Park 250k for a 3/2 would be more feasible, but still challenging.

250k for a 3/2 in Morningside, Va-Hi, Candler Park, Lake Claire, and most likely Decatur is near impossible. Of those Decatur would be the most probable.

Grant Park - 30312, 30315
Ormewood Park - 30316
Decatur - 30030

Other Neighborhoods share these zip codes so make sure the description names the neighborhood. In each of these neighborhoods there should be street toppers identifying them. I'm sure you will find either of these established intown neighborhoods a good alternative to surburbia. They are great places to raise a family and have easy access to all the amenities Atlanta has to offer.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:28 AM

2,642 posts, read 7,361,025 times
Yes, I have also heard good things about Ormewood Park. You should check that out. I think it would fit your budget better. In Grant Park and Candler Park you'd be hard pressed to find a SFH for less than 300K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or