Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:54 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Midtown is really turning into something special. You have a perfect blend of professionals, and older retired workers who desire to live in the city. I love all the bicycles, joggers, and foot traffic. I think Midtown is defining a original image of Atlanta where she don't have to be a cheap copy of another american city. I'm looking for foreign investor to take not so midtown can get some towers over 60 stories.
Correction for last sentence. I'm looking forward to foreign investors being drawn to Midtown, so we can get some towers over 60 stories to pop up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 07:57 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
This is such a landmark development for Midtown, especially for that stretch of West Peachtree which is pretty desolate right now.

For as much flack as Novare have taken for their generic Skyhouse's the fact that they put their money where their mouths are and developed where few others wanted too they really helped to spark all the development we are seeing now.
True I really hope Related Group can get this project off the ground.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:03 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmereEsquire View Post
I mean for something like a grocery store where you will spend possibly 30+ min and have a ton of bags, it just makes sense imo to validate parking, have easy access to parking. I cant imagine having to carry a ton of bags a long distance in a parking deck or something.
Some people may choice to walk or cycle over and not get a car load of groceries. Not everyone has to buy a weeks worth of groceries at once.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:46 AM

749 posts, read 887,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Some people may choice to walk or cycle over and not get a car load of groceries. Not everyone has to buy a weeks worth of groceries at once.
I personally prefer to go more frequently and purchase less at a time. It works perfectly for my daily return commute back to Midtown station, from Buckhead. Also, I feel that by purchasing smaller quantities more frequently, you are eating fresher food.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:47 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
How is carrying your bags through a parking deck worse than a parking lot? If anything, The deck would be shaded and the parking lot is not.

Of course Instacart is even easier way to do your Whole Foods shopping and car-free.
A parking deck is fine and many grocery stores have them.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
I personally prefer to go more frequently and purchase less at a time. It works perfectly for my daily return commute back to Midtown station, from Buckhead. Also, I feel that by purchasing smaller quantities more frequently, you are eating fresher food.
Exactly, research as shown customer who walk or cycle to a store make more purchases at lower price, but in the end spend more money than one large lump purchase.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM

253 posts, read 303,331 times
Quote:
Exactly, research as shown customer who walk or cycle to a store make more purchases at lower price, but in the end spend more money than one large lump purchase.
what research is this? you have gas tastions/mini markets if you want to go grab something small. Whole foods is a full fledged grocery store, so it is almost idiotic to not consider people who actually grocery shop.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
what research is this? you have gas tastions/mini markets if you want to go grab something small. Whole foods is a full fledged grocery store, so it is almost idiotic to not consider people who actually grocery shop.
Are you suggesting pedestrians and cyclists are not shopping, even of they purchase items for one meal? I have done a couple meals purchase at Kroger and walked or biked hone with no issue, not everyone drives everywhere.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Cyclists and Pedestrians Can End Up Spending More Each Month Than Drivers - CityLab
Any other questions?

Old 03-18-2015, 02:01 PM

253 posts, read 303,331 times
Quote:
"Until now there hasn’t been much empirical evidence to allay such concerns. Clifton and several colleagues have attempted to fill that research gap in a project for the Oregon Transportation Research and Education Consortium (read a PDF of the draft report here). They surveyed 1,884 people walking out of area convenience stores, restaurants and bars, and another 19,653 who’d just done their supermarket shopping. Some of the results are unsurprising: Drivers still make up a plurality of customers to all of these businesses. And, with greater trunk capacity, they far outspend people who travel to the grocery store by foot, bike or transit."

The only thing I see in the article is non drivers make more frequent trips, which can add up, but what is the purpose of building a huge grocery store for people only items from the hot bar, and smart waters? The article states drivers spend more per trip. I don't logically see how it is efficient for a non driver to actually grocery shop, opposed to "picking up something quick". You can pick up something/a few items at a CVS, I would assume when you go to a full fledged grocery store it is to shop for groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta